When do you buy a whole new wardrobe?

Options

Replies

• itsscottwilder
    Options
    Why don't you hit local thrift stores or Goodwill? They often times have lots of clothes that are barely worn and can get you by until you are ready for the brand new wardrobe!

+1
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just gradually purchased things I could wear with some of my old clothes. I also had old clothes in just about ever size from when I was gaining. I used those too. Now I am at the point where I have given pretty much all of those away because they have become too big!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I buy one or two new things every week. I usually buy things that will still look good even after a few more pounds come off (like a dress that can be belted or stretchy tops that would have room to shrink).

You can always try thrift shops until you hit your goal weight if you don't want to spend too much money. Just buy a few items at a time. The whole new wardrobe comes once you hit your goal weight and know you can sustain it.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have a rule: No more than two of anything at once. That means two dresses that fit currently, two pair of jeans, etc. etc. I buy almost everything at goodwill because I have a huge amount to lose (131 down and 65 or so to go). I buy workout clothes new though and also underwear. Shirts tend to fit longer so I have more of those. My wardrobe has completely recycled twice. That is, I have none of the clothes that I started with, and none of the first set of clothes I bought to replace those. I won't go out and buy all new everything though till I've reached my goal and maintained for a bit.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over 6 years. I just shop the sales and buy a thing or two as I need it. If you are actively losing buy things a bit more snug than you might. Don't over buy even though you are tempted and need things. You will be shrinking out of them quickly. I've been taking in some Large stretchy tops and converting them to my current small size. Somethings you can do that with. Now that I am at my final area of size 4 - 6, I still don't want to over buy. Styles change. I just try to buy a few things that strike me every season. I still need everything from shoes to cocktail dresses. I still shop the sales and am a new convert to a quick browse at Ross, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx. It is really hit or miss there, but I've gotten some great deals on Calvin Klein and Jones New York!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Why don't you hit local thrift stores or Goodwill? They often times have lots of clothes that are barely worn and can get you by until you are ready for the brand new wardrobe!

+1

This, or in other words: "Bro, do you even thrift?"
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be to buy a couple things at a time. Say, a couple pairs of pants and a couple tops. When the next twenty + pounds come off, buy a couple more. That way you're not throwing money away.

I'd agree with this. I just bought a couple new tops and an incentive dress. While my pounds haven't greatly reduced yet, the inches have nearly equaled the pounds I've lost.
  • mmkaye
    mmkaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you! Well said!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    when your smokin sexy hot and nothing fits.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every season. My fall clothes, will need to be 1 to 2 sizes smaller than last year's fall clothes. I can wear some of my shirts from spring still, but pants all need to be replaced. I don't buy as many as I would if I wasn't going to be shrinking out of them, but I do buy a full wardrobe each season that I need to change sizes. It's not cheap, but it's a reward for all my hard work. Last year, I was 2 to 3 sizes smaller from fall to fall. This year, it'll likely only be 1, maybe 2. But I really am only aiming to drop one more size so next year, I'll be able to buy a much more permanent wardrobe.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I had someone on here give me her old clothes and I in turn gave someone else my to big clothes. I'm getting ready to send out another box of to big clothes. I buy a couple of things here and there but won't be buying anything till I'm at goal.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in dressing for your body now! If your clothes are frumpy, it is time to update. If they are too tight, it's time to update. Take the clothes that are good to a resale shop, get what you can for them (apply the cash to new wardrobe), and give the rest to charity. Get them out of your closet. Clothes do not hold memories, and you never use them for motivation, because you are more likely to be disappointed when you do not fit in them as quickly as you would like to. I was raised your appearance is your first impression. If you do not dress like you care, you may come off as lazy, sloppy, or disorganized. Since I work in an office and meet new people daily I a very aware of my garments fitting me properly. Besides, how annoying is it to constantly be tugging your pants up (even with a belt), or having you shirt drowned you. I generally avoid looking unkempt, unless I am working out, in which it is expected to look like a hot mess when your done! (If you do it right....lol!)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that I've got some stuff I grew out of on the way up as well as some items I bought back then slightly on the tight side intending to slim into which now fit but for work clothes I get two pairs of trousers at a time and buy what I need rather than what I want. There never will be a 'whole new wardrobe' scenario though because at goal you'll have the clothes you've been wearing for the last few weeks. I intend to buy more expensive items once I've decided I'm happy with my weight.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I bought some new dress pants for work when I dropped from a size 16 to a size 12. Other than that I've bought some second hand dresses and such to get me through.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am only buying a few things. Will wait till I am at goal to buy a whole new wardrobe. Besides I still have some of my skinny clothes :) Motivation to wear them again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I buy every 2 sizes, ie when clothes are getting too loose, and the strict minimum. I had to buy new shorts/capris for the Summer in April, because my old ones didn't fit anymore, and they are loose already but will have to last until the Fall. I had to buy new bras in April as well (bought 2, i still have a couple of the old ones that kinda fit), and I bought some light pants 2 months ago... and underwear a month ago (I went from 18 to 8/10 but the 18s are not quite falling off yet... just huge). I got two shirts that were cheap too but that's about it. I don't even have jeans that fit anymore... I'll buy those when I need them.

It's sorta annoying because I have to do laundry all the time it seems, but I don't want to buy things I'll outgrow in 2 months. I'm waiting until I'm satisfied with my weight to buy more. At least my sweat pants still fit fine, for some unknown reason (I guess they were tight when I was size 18? I don't remember).
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Also important to note when I hit 2 pounds below goal, something clicked in my head and I went a little too lenient with my eating and went from a solid if not loose size 4 to a sometimes size 6. Be prepared to see how you do in maintenance before you go all out crazy. If I had done that at my lowest point I'd have nothing to wear with my 9 pound gain. And I didn't think it would/could ever happen to me. Of course I did get rid of all of my "fat" clothes, but I still have some nice size 8s, although I can't imagine regaining that amount again. Not all of my size 6s would fit me now, either, I am kind of in between some things or just plain too tight with muffin top for some of the size 4 pants.
  • nmprovo
    nmprovo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i sell my "too big" clothes on ebay and use the $$$ towards new clothes! then when those get big, i do it again! :)
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I watch for sales or coupons at my favorite stores and get a new size then. or resale/thirft shops. Try to find friends who might be getting rid of clothes who might be in the next size you need so you can snag some of theirs. I dont want to buy new clothes cuz im not at my goal weight, but i feel like a hobo in my current clothes!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i replaced all my clothes as soon as they didn't fit in a way that made me happy anymore. for me that was about 40 pounds. 17 more lost and i needed new jeans but my tops all still fit fine.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!