Gaining not losing

Options
I know that it's only been 5 days - but I have GAINED 3 pounds and 1/2 an inch around my waist. I meeting my calories and working out harder that I have in the past.
Has anyone else experienced this initial weight gain? How do I stay motivated when I'm doing all the right things and the scale is moving in the wrong direction?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring yourself at the same time each day? I think it's pretty much impossible to gain a true 1/2" on your waist in that short of a time period.

My guess is it's probably water weight. Maybe limit your weigh ins to once a week. Keep at it. It'll come off.
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's most likely water weight. Keep drinking more water and you'll flush it out eventually. Exercising causes the muscles to retain water so if you're hitting it hard and not drinking more water that's the most likely culprit. Keep doing what your doing, and remember you're healthier than you were 5 days ago. :-)
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    YES! The same thing happened to me, when I first started. It was very discouraging. I would workout and gain weight and when I didn't work out, I lost weight. I believe it's due to your muscles retaining water. It'll come off. Just keep working out and staying within your calorie budget, drink plenty of water and limit your sodium intake. You will see results in no time and the rest will be a blur. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope. I gained the first two weeks - water and muscle weight I believe. Then the third week I lost 5 lbs and have been going strong since then. Hang in there - you are doing what is good for you!
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing myself right now. The only difference is I see a major difference when I measure. I have lost an inch and a half in my waist in the past week but am gaining an avg of 1 lb a week. What I tell myself is I have lost 2 lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle. I am hoping that I will start loosing actual lbs here soon. I dont want to be a 190 lb muscular person :)

Are you just measuring your waist. Your body may loose more inches on other parts of your body before it hits your waist. Don't get discouraged, watch your sodium and water intake, and in no time you'll see it dropping off.