I *honestly* do NOT understand...

Options

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I understand completely.
    My initial technique was to just not have them in the house. Over a period of time I stopped craving them, but still struggle if attending a party.
    Now because I have other family members to consider I buy the multipacks. One serving is already measured out for you.
    My danger zone is when I'm home alone in the evening - always seem to be peering into the cupboard.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't have a trigger food so when I hear folks talk about not being able to control themselves I have no frame of reference. And, without a trigger food, I still managed to weigh much more than was healthy. So, we all have our issues, we just have to be diligent in managing them. I, love sweets. SO, when I bake, I usually try to give as much of it away as the husband & kids will let me. Enjoy a few and then share with many! That's my strategy for my sweet tooth.
    If I have a trigger food, I haven't found it yet. First I thought Nutella was one, but then I realized I could stop because I figured it wasn't worth the calories to me. Then I thought it was chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants, but I've figured out just taking ten chips out of the basket and stopping after those is easy enough for me. I conquered Girl Scout cookies by putting one in my mouth and one in my hand then walking away so I had one to look forward to.

There are tons of little tricks, you just have to try to find what works for you and it'll eventually become second nature.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to avoid the binge is definitely to just not buy them in the first place. I can demolish a full-size bag of chips before I know what I've done. So I just make myself walk past that isle in the grocery store now. Helps too that with the Sodastream I don't have to buy pop, which is always in the same spot as the chips.

I'm trying to find ways to make them more emotionally unappealing, such as thinking about how much sodium it would be if I snarfed it down and how bloated and awful I'll feel. The potato chip hangover avoidance theory.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to avoid the binge is definitely to just not buy them in the first place. I can demolish a full-size bag of chips before I know what I've done. So I just make myself walk past that isle in the grocery store now. Helps too that with the Sodastream I don't have to buy pop, which is always in the same spot as the chips.

I'm trying to find ways to make them more emotionally unappealing, such as thinking about how much sodium it would be if I snarfed it down and how bloated and awful I'll feel. The potato chip hangover avoidance theory.

You know, I disagree. You have to teach yourself new habits.

OP - I recommend portioning out the chips, stop at one bag, and if you find yourself tempted to go after another bag, distract yourself.

Moderation isn't hard once you make the concious effort to make a habit of it.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    with God's blessing I do NOT have a trigger food. :) I just ate TOO MUCH food.
  • nmprovo
    nmprovo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    omg... cool ranch doritos... my biggest love :(
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a potato chip problem myself. :embarassed: The only way I can stop myself from not eating the whole bag when we DO have them is to measure out a serving and then put the rest of the bag away, in a cabinet I don't normally go into.

It works most of the time, but it was a long hard battle to get there and for years (yup, I said YEARS) we just didn't have them in the house.

^^^This... Major Ruffles (cheddar) problem... This week I decided not to buy any and stopped got pretzels, didn't cut it so I didn't eat them and still craving Ruffles..> I may stop at the store on the way home :(... It's a problem for me...
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    i love putting bugles on my fingers and running around like a gremlin as i eat them off, one by one.
    theyre SO good!

I do this, too. I also say "Rarr".

Just had to google 'Bugles'. We don't get them in the UK. The Rarr and running about bit, makes sense now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't have trigger foods so take this with a grain of salt.

What works for me if I'm thinking about eating something that doesn't really fit my day (my boss keeps a bowl of peanut M&Ms on the counter, for example) is to prelog it. So if I'm sitting there thinking "I could have a handful of M&Ms, no big deal" then I make myself log it first. Once I see how much it effects my calorie bottom line more times than not I hold out for the ice cream I know I'll want at the end of the day.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Thanks now I'm craving Bugles!
  • jasminetooblessedtobestressed
    Options
    So that's the secret ingredient lol.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky. When I don't want to eat something for health/weight reasons, I just don't put it in my mouth.
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you, but I make myself fill up on veggies and fruits (fresh) before I will eat anything else. Usually I am too full to have anything. I never let myself get hungry.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ...how someone (not me) is able to STOP eating chips or bugles or cookies (insert trigger food here.) My trigger food: potato chips - or anything salty really. If there is a bag or box of something salty in the house I cannot NOT finish the entire bag or box. I am baffled by people that can eat just a few. My husband, for example, will eat just 4 or 5 chips and that's enough for him - I sit and look at him with awe. I generally don't have my "trigger" foods in the house but last week was a bad week and I went on an emotional eating roller coaster of a ride which culimanated in my finishing ALL chips in the house last night (not logged - too ashamed) and polishing off a bottle of wine (logged.) So, how do YOU manage to not totally inhale your trigger foods? I would LOVE suggestions/ideas/advice! My waist begs you!

I only have one food I can't control portion size and that's Snyder of Hanover pretzels. So, instead of buying a big bag of them and eating the whole thing in one day, I now buy a grab bag (2 ounces), once or twice a week. It's 280 calories vs around 1,500 for the big bags, and I get to have my pretzel fix, without it hurting my my macros :)
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My trigger food is sweets >.< It's so hard to stop once I have one Nutella dipped apple slice! I usually get myself to stop by looking at how many calories nutella has, then I'm like, "OMG! I need to stop!" Lol. But yeah, It's super hard!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I take out one serving of whatever it is, put the rest away and sit down and eat slowly. My big downfall is sitting on the couch with a whole bag of chips etc. I still do that at work sometimes with ice cream but on those days I make a conscious decision just to eat atmmaintenance.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    I only recently discovered chocolate peanut butter flavored "sweet and salty" bugles.I have no tips for anyone on how to avoid them.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the responses, so pardon me if this bit of genius has been shard already...but I dont eat my trigger foods because I don't buy my trigger foods. Someone has to be sticking them in the grocery cart!

If I want to indulge, it's in single servings. At that TOM, I drive to the drug store and buy a candy bar. Only one. I might get desperate enough to go out and buy another one, but it's still a heck of a lot less than if I had an entire bag of Dove chocolates in my pantry.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find if I have a craving I eat some protein and the craving disappears. Eating protein for 40 % of your diet is a good thing to aim for
  • lisquito
    lisquito Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions here already! Pre-logging, pre-measuring serving sizes, and working out my daily menu to include the things I want have ALL worked well for me! Some people can just quit things cold turkey, but it takes me some time to work up to a high level of healthy eating, especially when I'm trying to cook more. Some additional thoughts:

*Stock other snacks that you like all over the house, so when a craving hits, you can have something tasty AND healthy! When you're enjoying what you're eating, it becomes easier to replace things that you don't want to include in your menu. 'Denying' yourself is just going to make you miserable!

*Indulge! Go ahead and have some, but try your HARDEST to be the one controlling you, and not the food! Its a hard thing to master if you're an emotional eater, so...

*Try to work out your emotions attached to eating. This is not easy, and you will likely need help. I know a program that uses tapping (tapping on key focus points to help re-write a neural pathway) to help emotional eaters face the emotions behind and underneath of their binges. When you get a craving, think through it to find what is underneath - do you want it because you're stressed? Are you just super hungry and craving sugars/fats/etc? What feelings do you get when you imagine that food in front of you, and then trying to push it away? Are you "shoving it to the man" by shoving it in your face? There's a LOT your subconscious can be trying to tell you!

Every person has their own personal challenges, and there's nothing wrong with trial-and-error until you find out what works best for you! The most important thing to remember is that you're trying to be healthier AND happier, and there's no use in having one without the other :)