Maintaining and gaining muscle; how much cardio?

Options
I've reached my goal weight and now I just want to maintain that weight
But now I wanna get muscle and get fit and toned.
I wanna keep healthy and cardio, I would say, is important to have a healthy heart. So how much cardio should I do in a week?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Others will be able to answer more precisely, but I am thinking 30 minutes a few times per week is fine.

As far as gaining muscle, have you considered a bulk/cut cycle?
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Others will be able to answer more precisely, but I am thinking 30 minutes a few times per week is fine.

I'm not sure what that is? Can you explain it to me?
    I'm working on my plan basically right now... So... Yeah. Ha.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You could do a couple rounds of bulk and cut cycles (eat at a calorie surplus to put on some muscle and then restrict calories again to shed the inevitable little bit of fat you'll gain to reveal the new muscle)...but really, I think most people can really benefit for a very long time just eating maintenance and lifting.

For heart health, 30 minutes of walking 3-5 days per week is all you really need...if you want to maintain a certain aerobic base, obviously you'd have to do more than just walk...and if you wanted to increase your aerobic base you'd obviously have to do even more.

I personally train in seasons...during my racing season I'm doing a lot of endurance training and cardio; I still lift, but not to the extent that I do in the "off-season". In the off-season I turn my attention towards muscle and strength and just do some cycling and jogging to maintain my aerobic base for the next season.
  • whierd
    Options
    A bulk/cut cycle is a method to gain muscle/reduce fat by eating above TDEE for a period of time, gaining muscle and some fat, then eating below TDEE for a period of time, losing fat and some muscle.

So for instance, eating at 500 calories above TDEE for a month, then eating at 500 calories below TDEE for a month. The idea is to maximize muscle gain while minimizing fat mass gain.

Also, try looking into HIIT cardio workouts.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

TBH, you should have been lifting while losing weight to maintain your muscle mass. Gaining muscle is extremely hard, so it is easier for someone to maintain what they have rather than lose it and try to work it back.
  • kristacky
    kristacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I would think doing cardio 3x a week at a good pace that elevates your heart rate for 30mins is probably sufficient.
    I do a bootcamp fitness class 3x a week that starts off with 15mins of light cardio and then we do circuit training - which is more intense weightlifting without breaks and incorporates some cardio activities, so it's strength training with cardio also.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

TBH, you should have been lifting while losing weight to maintain your muscle mass. Gaining muscle is extremely hard, so it is easier for someone to maintain what they have rather than lose it and try to work it back.
    Looking back now I know that, but I can't exactly go back and change it. Haha.
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Options
    I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 12 times a week at an hour per class, as long as you take what you're burning into account and eat enough you can do as much cardio as you want.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    A bulk/cut cycle is a method to gain muscle/reduce fat by eating above TDEE for a period of time, gaining muscle and some fat, then eating below TDEE for a period of time, losing fat and some muscle.

So for instance, eating at 500 calories above TDEE for a month, then eating at 500 calories below TDEE for a month. The idea is to maximize muscle gain while minimizing fat mass gain.

Also, try looking into HIIT cardio workouts.
    Thanks! I'll look into that(:
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    It'd be awesome if some shared their workout plans too (;
  • whierd
    Options

Too late to change that now. Besides, the muscle rebound effect will cause her to regain that lost muscle fairly quickly, especially if eating at a surplus.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you reall want muscle gains then I would go with the bulk/cut cycle already mentioned..

Also, you should be lifting at least three times a week to start. Are you a beginner or intermediate when it comes to lifting?

If beginner, then you should learn compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, over head press, chest press, pullups, chin ups, etc and then incorporate them into a total body workout three times a week and limit cardio to two times a week, 30 minutes at most..

If you are more intermediate, then you can go to an upper/lower kind of routine....

Your current training level will dictate what kind of routine you should incorporate..

Oh, and if you are trying to add muscle, ditch the slim fast.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    if you reall want muscle gains then I would go with the bulk/cut cycle already mentioned..

Also, you should be lifting at least three times a week to start. Are you a beginner or intermediate when it comes to lifting?

If beginner, then you should learn compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, over head press, chest press, pullups, chin ups, etc and then incorporate them into a total body workout three times a week and limit cardio to two times a week, 30 minutes at most..

If you are more intermediate, then you can go to an upper/lower kind of routine....

Your current training level will dictate what kind of routine you should incorporate..

Oh, and if you are trying to add muscle, ditch the slim fast.

Definitely a beginner.
    And bahhahahha. I don't drink the slimfast anymore. haven't in like a year.
    Is it good to do like
    M-upper
    T- cardio
    W- leg
    R- cardio
    F- total body
    ?

ETA Saturday midsection
    Sunday rest
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    As little as possible, while maintaining weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    for beginner..

I would say - and this is just me - no expert or anything..

Monday - total body - legs/chest/arms/shoulders/back
    tues - cardio
    wens - total body - repeat
    thurs - cardio
    firday - total body
    sat - active rest - bike/abs/yoga or just rest
    sunday rest ...

once you have been at this routine for like three to four months then maybe go to an upper/lower split
    mon - upper -
    tues - lower -
    wens - HIIT sprints/cardio/abs
    thurs - upper -
    Friday lower

would be interested to see what others think/suggest..
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    for beginner..

I would say - and this is just me - no expert or anything..

Monday - total body - legs/chest/arms/shoulders/back
    tues - cardio
    wens - total body - repeat
    thurs - cardio
    firday - total body
    sat - active rest - bike/abs/yoga or just rest
    sunday rest ...

once you have been at this routine for like three to four months then maybe go to an upper/lower split
    mon - upper -
    tues - lower -
    wens - HIIT sprints/cardio/abs
    thurs - upper -
    Friday lower

would be interested to see what others think/suggest..
    Thanks!
    Any clue how long the workouts should be?
    I'm learning so forgive the numerous questions(:
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Definitely a beginner.
    And bahhahahha. I don't drink the slimfast anymore. haven't in like a year.
    Is it good to do like
    M-upper
    T- cardio
    W- leg
    R- cardio
    F- total body
    ?

ETA Saturday midsection
    Sunday rest

Look into SL 5x5 (free program) or something by Nia Shanks (Beautiful Badass is awesome!!). These are both beginner friendly, 3x per week total body and then you can add HIIT or Tabata after lifting for cardio benefits. My workout plan is.....

T - lift 5x5
    Th - lift 5x5
    Sat - lift 5x5

Can't get much easier than that! I'll do planks or hanging knee raises for core after my workout and add in 4 minutes of traditional Tabata after lifting IF I have the time or energy. I get at least 10,000 steps per day so I'm active in my normal daily activities. I'm 5'8 and weigh about 158, eat 2400-2500 a day to maintain weight and have even seen myself leaning out more over the past few months.
  • whierd
    Options
    I would actually suggest doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a few months as a total beginner.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Too late to change that now. Besides, the muscle rebound effect will cause her to regain that lost muscle fairly quickly, especially if eating at a surplus.

With the quote of "I want to stay at my goal weight", I don't see a surplus coming....
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

With the quote of "I want to stay at my goal weight", I don't see a surplus coming....
    You're right. But I wanna add that I don't mind gaining weight, I just don't wanna get necessarily bigger... If that makes sense.