went from 270 to 157.still fat

Options

Replies

• Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel ya on that one. I went from 290 down to (as of right now) 183, but when I enter my measurements into BF% calculators it says I'm still obese - ugh... Never would'a thought I could lose so much and still be fat. All that's left to do is use our much lighter frames and increased energy to try and build some muscle and tone up, I suppose.

Congrats on losing so much, though. It's still something to be proud of, even if it's not finished yet. And if it helps at all, I think you look great! :flowerforyou:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's easier to lose weight and be thin than it is to lose weight and think you're thin. I haven't been overweight in years and I still go straight to the big clothes in a shop. I think it's self confidence, and the lack of it
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    sadly, you may have just discovered what they mean by "skinny fat".

if you lose weight too quickly and with only a large calorie deficit and cardio and it's a lot of weight that is lost, you will be sacrificing quite a bit of muscle mass in the process, in place of some of the fat you'd rather lose.

slow down.

start lifting heavy weights to retain muscle.

eat enough protein.

when you get to your goal weight, you'll then have to start eating at a modest surplus while continuing to lift weights and eat your protein. this will start putting back some of that muscle you lost. but it's going to take much longer and much harder work to put it back than it did to accidentally lose it.

it's frustrating to see people learn this too late because it can all be prevented (mostly).

ETA: i didn't realize this was in the Success Stories forum. normally i would never bring up this topic in this forum, but since it's already written, it's worth leaving posted i think... none of this takes away from the success you've already had, but large amounts of weight loss is always a tradeoff. if you lose too quickly, you risk muscle loss. if you lose while preserving muscle, it takes longer. i started with the former strategy and realized the error of my ways about halfway and have switched over to the latter strategy.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    130 is pretty low for that height, I'd say 140-150 is more realistic. You are doing awesome so far! It sounds to me that maybe you just want to "tone up", I don't really think you need to lose more. I'd suggest you get yourself in the weight room and start picking up heavy things! At this point you might not lose too much more, but your measurements will shrink as your develop more muscle mass and lose fat. Over the past year I have gained 5 pounds, but my waist, thighs, calves and arms are all smaller because of lifting! By the way I'm 5' 6" and weigh 140 :) Feel free to add me if you want more tips!
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You are far from "fat". Did that moron ex boyfriend of yours really mess with you so bad to the point you'll think youre fat even at this weight?

Please .. you dropped that *kitten*, don't let him control the way you see your self
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is never easy to recover from verbal abuse and YES your ex calling you fat at any size is abusive. Kudos for leaving him.
    You are the same height as me. I am shooting for 143. You need to find the place that works for YOU. Take some time for meditation and ask yourself why you are doing this really. Listen to your inner voice not the number on the scale. You will know what to do.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have lost 200 lbs myself and size concept is an issue that is difficult to adjust to.Start thinking healthy versus fat or thin. I am 5' 3" and am staying between 130 and 140 . I am 57 yrs old. My doctor thinks anything below 150 is just fine. I wear size 6 or 8 clothes in misses. The general conception of size is size 6-8 is small 10 to 12 is medium and 14-16 is large.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    A few things...
    1. If you lost weight very quickly, you probably lost muscle mass as well, which can make you smaller but still have flab, causing you to feel "fat" still
    2. Focus on being healthy, doing it the right way, and having patience, and your body will catch up and you will get better results!

Also, I'm 5'6" and I did not feel happy at all at 157! Not to say that it's not a great weight for some people, but it wasn't at all for me! Your goal weight and your body is personal, find where you feel best and don't worry about if it's higher or lower than where everyone else (even people your height) feel best. We're all different.

My goal weight at 5'6" is 115 (only 9lbs away now!). Most people on here chose a goal weight higher than that at my height, but for me it's achievable and healthy and it's where I'll feel best personally. I don't need any outside validation!
  • seruki
    seruki Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you already know this by now... but you aren't fat! Don't be silly.
    130 may even be too low of a weight for you.

Your picture makes you appear so thin!
    You may have a bit of extra skin since you lost so much weight.
    I lost less than you did and have a lot of loose skin.
    It'll take time to go away.

Also, your ex can take a hike. :| There's no need for someone who abuses you in any way.
  • amberstevens7906
    amberstevens7906 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well i dont mind the way i look in clothes but without them i still have a belly i want gone. Iv tried the jillians michael workout and it seems the belly dont wanna go
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are not fat. You are thin, and like so many awesome posters have said, you need to probably start weight training. This will help shape your body, and also... you remind me of my sister-in-law (to be). She lost sixty pounds, and is a size 2. She still sees herself as fat, but she is not.

Smile, and love the woman you see smiling back at you in the mirror because you are awesome, and are thin and healthy.
  • amberstevens7906
    Options
    Yea i originally want to be 180 then 170 then 160 and now 130.i know alot of it is iv been big my whole life so it takes some adjusting too
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 7 with a small frame. I was barely a size 12! at that weight yet other people the same height say they are 150's and a size eight so I think it depends on your frame. I'm about 137 now and a size eight and feel pretty good. But I was far from fit or thin in the 150's and I felt like crap. :)
    With that said, you look thin to me in your picture. And trust me. At 150 I did not :)
  • denjario
    denjario Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to realize that you'll have a belly for a bit until your body fully adjusts to that area having less mass. Just continue to do workouts, the tissues will eventually shrink down, but it will take time. :) good job, though, you're looking fit and healthy!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! You look thin in your picture. Maybe your mind hasn't caught up to your body yet. If this continues to cause you problems I would go see a therapist.

I have to agree with this! You look good now!

Agreed, you look amazing!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You don't look fat at all in your picture. If you aren't happy with the shape of your body, do yourself a favor and lift weights, strength train. You're likely to be a lot happier with the results than you would with just diet and cardio alone.
  • amberstevens7906
    Options
    Well i know i look smaller by pictures but i am not thin.im probably more chubby than fat.i wear a medium shirt and size 10 in pants
  • Wilsongood
    Wilsongood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats Amber! Good job moving on from an obviously bad relationship. Your pic looks great! Don't know what else to tell you about the weight loss. Looks like we have some knowledgable people below. Just don't develop some weird disorder or anything because you had some jerk calling you fat. That little one sitting behind you is looking up to you. What would you tell her if she told you she was fat? Great job ! i hope I can do half as well as you have girl.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but try concentrating on ALL OVER toning. you may find that you will lose a few more pounds, but even if you don't, if you're toned, you will be surprised what a difference it can make. I think you look good. Thin but not SKINNY (who wants to see your ribs or hipbones poking out your clothes? NOT attractive) and a 10 is good. Size 0's aren't everyone's possibility and you shouldn't starve or exercise yourself silly just to get there. :bigsmile:
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7". At my healthiest weight, I was around 130. I was working out with weights and swimming and running. I was a size 6 and had awesome back muscles. At my lowest weight I was 118, I ate crap food and but had to walk everywhere for a year (live on campus, no cars allowed). I would (as so many have recommended) do strength training. I think that will help you get to the body image you want. At this point you want to pay more attention to inches than weight too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!