Potassium and Hypertension

Options
I've been tracking my food intake for the past month and am surprised to see how little potassium I take in. Yes, I check each food to ensure that the listing did not leave out potassium or at least I will investigate and fill it in. Nonetheless, I also am challenged with hypertension. Word on the street (or the 'net) is that an overabundance of potassium can lead to big problems if you can't excrete it. I want to hit my mark (4500mg), but because I'm taking meds (Exforge), I don't want to overdo it.

Any doctors, PAs, or nutritionists willing to chime in? :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Edit:

Removing my post as I didn't read carefully about your medication. My apologies.
    17841906 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, no worries SideSteel. I figured I can stay where I am for a while until I hear otherwise. Would hate to push to that 4500 and my Dr. tells me I'm overdoing it. LOL!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks for the response, SideSteel. LOL @ the nutritionist point, but I tend to agree. :)

I've been averaging closer to 2500mg this month and definitely shooting for 4000mg average for next month. No kidney issues yet. I used to get sonograms the first two years when I was first diagnosed with HBP. A very cautious and caring doctor I had. Miss him dearly. But anywho, that link helps! I'll stay the course and try to inch closer to 4500mg.

Please refer to your general physician regarding your potassium intake.

After posting I deleted my post because in hindsight, the information I provided (which is valid for a generally healthy individual) is not necessarily valid for someone on certain medications and it's irresponsible of me to give my opinion otherwise.
    17841906 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Completely understood.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    In general I would say not to worry about it you are getting an adequate amount as long as you are eating whole foods and getting most of your calories there as opposed to meal replacement alternatives

that being said since you are already being treated for hypertension - there is a bit of a delicate balance that goes along with sodium and potassium / I hate to bail out on the question but this is one that would be very difficult to answer over MFP. That being said I would encourage you to really bring it up with your physician at your next appointment, even if he is uncomfortable with diet instructions he should be able to at least refer you to an adequate dietician.

best luck with the journey my man
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I would really urge you to refer to your physician's advice. Too much potassium in the blood, could actually affect the electrical conductivity of your heart which would inevitably cause it to weaken and then stop beating. (I could go further into this, lol but it basically is the electrical conductivity of the heart whereby, during an electrical impulse, (there's sodium activity too but i shall just focus on the potassium) potassium ions from within the cells rushes out into the extracellular space. if there is too much in the extracellular space due to an excess intake, the rushing out of potassium ions does not happen, hence, no electrical impulse)

I am, however, unsure about the healthy ranges for you so refer to your physician about that.

Also considering you have hypertension, there is already increased cardiac workload due to the increased fluid volume in your circulatory system. You wouldn't want an excess in potassium (if 4500mg is actually in excess) to cause your heart to be too weak to pump blood throughout your body (especially with exercise, etc)

Is there a particular reason why you would want to consume that much potassium?

Also, I am a 4th year RN student, so these potassium and heart relations are quite fresh in my mind :P
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I would really urge you to refer to your physician's advice. Too much potassium in the blood, could actually affect the electrical conductivity of your heart which would inevitably cause it to weaken and then stop beating. (I could go further into this, lol but it basically is the electrical conductivity of the heart whereby, during an electrical impulse, (there's sodium activity too but i shall just focus on the potassium) potassium ions from within the cells rushes out into the extracellular space. if there is too much in the extracellular space due to an excess intake, the rushing out of potassium ions does not happen, hence, no electrical impulse)

I am, however, unsure about the healthy ranges for you so refer to your physician about that.

Also considering you have hypertension, there is already increased cardiac workload due to the increased fluid volume in your circulatory system. You wouldn't want an excess in potassium (if 4500mg is actually in excess) to cause your heart to be too weak to pump blood throughout your body (especially with exercise, etc)

Is there a particular reason why you would want to consume that much potassium?

Also, I am a 4th year RN student, so these potassium and heart relations are quite fresh in my mind :P

The quoted amount of potassium isn't unreasonable at all especially in people with hypertension as increased potassium can help with this. The question is whether or not that quantity is too high for someone on that particular medication.

(According to institute of medicine DRI anyways)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There's a blood test for excess potassium. Check in with your doctor if you're in doubt about increasing your intake. I'm not supposed to take potassium supplements or go out of my way to get it in my diet.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks SS, yeah, I missed that last part regarding him on his medication. Regardless though, there is a delicate balance that he has to maintain as another poster has said. But yes OP, do explain your situation to your physician :) All the best!