Casein protein/bloating?

Options
Here recently, I have been feeling VERY bloated and really full all the time. Prior to the past week or two, I was coming off of a plateau and losing weight steadily. I've recently gone back up about 4 pounds to my previous weight. I know the weight gain isn't from a gain in actual fat, but it's still discouraging to see the number go back up, plus not looking as lean. the weight gain and bloating started recently after consuming casein protein so I was wondering if that may be the cause. Here is a sample of what I've been eating:

Meal 1: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 scoop casein, 1 banana
Meal 2: Larabar
Meal 3: Black bean and quinoa vegetarian chili or a turkey/hummus wrap with carrots or small apple as a side
Meal 4: About 4-5 oz grilled chicken breast with a cup of steamed veggies
Meal 5: 1 cup greek yogurt with berries

I like to eat oatmeal & casein in the mornings because I work and like to have something that keeps me full for a long time. Before I started the casein powder, my meals were like this (and I had almost no bloating and lost weight steadily):

Meal 1: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 banana
Meal 2: Quest bar
Meal 3: 2 slices of ezekiel bread with a spinach/tomato omelette
Meal 4: Grilled chicken breast and 1 cup of steamed veggies
Meal 5: 1 cup greek yogurt with berries

Do you think I'm reacting badly to the casein powder or is it normal to have this much bloating after using it? Nothing has changed about my workouts, I still work hard. Feel free to make suggestions and offer constructive criticism. All I want is improvement and fat loss, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Have you tried not using the casein for a few days and seeing if that helps? If that's the only thing that really changed than it very possible.
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm going to stop using it for a while and see if that helps, I was just wondering if this was common with casein, or anyone experienced anything similar
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I don't know why and it might not be right but I'm having flash back to my nutrition class and them telling us our bodies really don't break down casein.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This happened to me with the whey. Made no sense to me because I am fine with milk,yogurt etc. When I stopped the whey my bloating stopped too. I have bought a higher quality whey since then and want to try it before bed. By the end of the night I have plenty of protien so I have chosen to eat those last calories instead:-) Curious to know if stopping it helps you.
  • aladd2
    Options
    Yeah I hope that stopping it helps! I think that may be the problem because although certain foods make me bloat, it's never this bad or lasts this long. It just sucks because I really love the taste of it :( lol
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I had kinda of the same issue. I found it be Splenda (surclose) was in the whey & casein I took. I completely removed any artificial "chemical" sweeteners out of my intake. I found Optimum 100% natural Whey & Casein used Stevia instead of surclose and I haven't had a single issue since.

Milk is protein is 80% casein & 20% whey but has sugar in it without a problem.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks @articfox. Good info:-)
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Maybe you want to start incorporating a digestive enzyme into your daily diet. I take Digest-All by MRM and it really helps with digestion and bloat.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Maybe you want to start incorporating a digestive enzyme into your daily diet. I take Digest-All by MRM and it really helps with digestion and bloat.

This. You may be lactose intolerant. Even though your greek yogurt contains lactose, the amount of lactose is very low, and the yogurt contains natural enzymes that aid in digestion. Introducing casein into your diet is probably the cause. Casein is a harder protein to digest, and many people have an intolerance to casein. If you do not want to incorporate a daily digestive enzyme, and you can't meet your protein needs from whole food sources alone, maybe try a whey protein with digestive enzymes, or skip milk proteins altogether and try an egg or beef protein powder.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem depending on what protein shake I use. I tried two different protein shakes found at Wal-Mart and both made me bloated and gassy feeling. I ended up at Complete Nutrition and buying one of their protein packages. Haven't had the problem since. :)
  • aladd2
    Options
    Thanks! I may look into incorporating a digestive enzyme into my diet.. I didn't have the casein this morning and so far so good, no bloating at all so I think that was the problem