Peanut butter

Options
nkp17
nkp17 Posts: 8 Member
Has anyone tried (hopefully successfully) cutting peanut butter with something to lower the calorie content?
I was thinking maybe whipping it with no fat greek yogurt might work...
I tried to do some googling but didn't really find anything.
Anyone have any tips? I LOVE peanut butter, but it is really a downer to only have 1 tbsp or less...
I have not tried pb2 and I'm not really interested, so if anyone has any tips or tricks with peanut butter please let me know!

Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Fit 2 tbsps into your diet and be done with it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you're mixing the PB2 into a protein shake it tastes just like peanut butter, but I can't think of any other time when I would want to eat it.

Anything you mix peanut butter with is going to alter the texture and/or taste, so I agree just budget in the calories.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tbsp. on my toast or celery with no worries. Agree that you can fit it in as the stats aren't high. Just get one that is all natural. ~

cal180 carb6 fat14 protein8 sugar2 fibre2
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Agreed - altered pb will not be good. :-(
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    I can fit anywhere from 3-5 tbls in of pb per day.
    :drinker:
  • Valdus92
    Valdus92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know what you're saying, it's my absolute favorite taste! But, yeah that butter part is rough!
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    whip up peanut butter with a frozen banana in the blender, you will get a creamy and very delicious treat.
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I actually mix mine with either vanilla or coconut Greek yogurt, not so much to cut the calories and fat.... But to cut the thick stickiness... I like to put it on apples or carrots and I thought it was just too dense... It's actually quite amazing like this.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 occasionally. It's powdered peanuts with the oil taken out. You mix it with water (almond milk is good too) to your desired consistancy.
    It's good with a banana or an apple or in baking or smoothies.

It's just an alternative. 2tbsp is 45 calories. I use it and can enjoy it, but when you want peanut butter, there's no replacement really. I did try to mix 1 tbsp with 1tbsp of the real thing. It wasn't horrible but it changed the flavor and consistancy.

Mixing it with something else is going to change it, and you're still going to WANT your 2tbsp of PB anyway so you may risk eating more.
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PB2 is gross just plain in my opinion. I'm the type that likes Peanut Butter just as it is- not in a sandwich, or on fruit, or in shakes. Just me, a tablespoon, and my own jar of peanut butter. xP So just me, a tablespoon, and PB2- yuck! PB2 is not too tasty just alone. If you lighten the consistency of PB, it becomes a bit less calorie dense, so I've heard of some people whipping their PB. I'm not quite sure how well that would work, so I just buy the Jif Whipped Peanut Butter from my grocery store. It has 140 cals per 2 tablespoons, however, it only has 5g protein. If you don't care about protein content though, that saves you about 60 cals per serving compared to other peanut butters and is delicious if you like PB and the consistency of mousse. =)

I do agree with everyone else though; PB is possible to be budgeted into your calorie intake. There have been days when I've eaten 1200 calories and still managed to have like 5 tablespoons PB!
  • nkp17
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love pb and would eat the entire container if I could... I am ok with altering the flavor/consistency because I know I already love anything that has pb in it (cookies etc).
    Definitely going to try the banana and the greek yogurt thing! Probably wont try pb2, just don't feel into it!
    I do try to budget in some pb everyday but some days it does get hard, and I am a serial snacker so it would be nice to be able to enjoy it more often as opposed to 1-2 tbsp per day. :)
  • PetuniasMum
    PetuniasMum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching to sugar free PB? We started buying it as a treat for our dog, but we eat it now too. I got used to the less sweet taste right away.
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I actually mix mine with either vanilla or coconut Greek yogurt, not so much to cut the calories and fat.... But to cut the thick stickiness... I like to put it on apples or carrots and I thought it was just too dense... It's actually quite amazing like this.

What are the ratios of greek yogurt to peanut butter? 1:1?
  • nkp17
    Options
    I have looked at every store that sells PB (well any store that I have gone to that I notice sells pb) and NEVER ever have I seen sugar free!!
    The best I've found is a Kraft PB/Honey mix that instead of over 100 cal per tbsp is 80.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you could ever track it, but I usually pour some of the oil off the top of the jar before I mix it up. I use it for a stir fry or something. The pb seems too runny if I mix it all in.

ETA: I buy store brand (Kroger) natural peanut butter and it has no added sugar. Ingredients are peanuts, salt.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Newbie alert!!

What is PB/PB2??
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree, use sugar free peanut butter. The jar won't outright say "sugar free," you need to check the ingredient list on the back. Some sugar free peanut butter says "natural" on the front, but not all natural peanut butter is necessarily sugar free. Laura scudder makes natural peanut butter that is only peanuts, and a minute amount of salt. Earth Balance has peanut butter with flax seeds that doesn't have sugar. A good indicator of natural peanut butter is a layer of oil on top. Also, a lot of grocery stores now have grinders where you can make your own peanut-only butter.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon peanut butter + 1 tablespoon vanilla yogurt is great as a dip for, well, anything you'd dip in peanut butter. I recommend sprinkling a little cinnamon on it too!