Food ideas for one?

Options
Helpppppp meeeeee.

I'm tired of microwave madness and rely wayyyy too much on my husband for my meals. So far in my weight loss journey it is to the microwave for me. With assorted microwaveables of the Lean/Smart/Amys/etc. variety. I like the portion control and low cal parts, but I'm getting bored of the blah food.

Pleaseee give me ideas. Or articles. Websites? Something to kick me into gear with making my own dinners and lunches (for lunches I eat a lot of tuna fish salad things and more microwave monsters). Preferably pretty easy meals -- I feel it is kinda silly to spend a lot of time and make a giant meal for just me...

He has two days a week off -- leaving me eating like a bachelor the other five nights while he works til 9/10.

And this must stop. He's a sous chef, so I just accept the fact that I never cook for myself. I need to not do this anymore.

Thank you everyone!

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Wraps, have with a huge salad or a small baked sweet potato, cut it into wedges and season how you like it, with some low cal spray. You can quickly throw together a fajita, or use soy, balsamic, a pinch of chinese 5 spice and a tsp of peanutbutter for a "satay" wrap, or a salad wrap with all your favourite salad fillers

Stir fries, so quick and easy and you can get low calorie noodles, but brown rice is great. You can make so many different sauces that are so quick - that satay, or thai sweet chili, sweet and sour, whatever you like, keep a bag of frozen stir fry veg and add your own fresh ones and the frozen bag will you you greater variety
  • Hlasweet
    Hlasweet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A great meal that is super fast is searing a couple of scallops and steaming some spinach or other veggies. For lunch I do a lot of salads or I will take some deli meat and roll it up with a piece of cheese, tons of fruit or some veggies.

What kind of food do you like? I love getting recipe ideas off from Pinterest!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My ideas are still all processed/packaged stuff, so they've still got a lot of sodium, but I got so tired of the lean cuisine type stuff, so they're at least a little different than that...and I'm a terrible cook.

Lunches:
    Salads w/ parmesan cheese (less calories than regular cheese), sliced almonds, and sometimes lunch meat
    Chicken Wraps (I buy canned chicken that makes this nice and easy)
    Uncrustables
    Sandwiches (I use pita bread instead of regular bread - I just like it a lot better)

Dinner:
    -Frozen veggie burgers
    -Canned soup and crackers
    -Grilled Cheese (my problem is not putting too much cheese on, I LOVE cheese!)
    -Baked Breaded Chicken - just coat a raw piece of chicken in bread crumbs and cook for 30 minutes (this is my version of "cooking", lol, I'm a terrible cook).
    -Fajitas are fairly easy if you buy the Tyson pre-cooked chicken strips - just throw them in a pan and heat them up with fajita seasoning and peppers
    -Pasta w/ Marinara sauce or light alfredo sauce (again you could add the pre-cooked chicken strips). You can also buy pasta that's made partially with vegetables - I do this to help get more veggies in).
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Everyday for lunch I make myself a different salad, it's really easy and takes about 10 minutes. Over the weekend, I get a big container of salad, an onion, a bag of carrots, avocados, and any other in season veggies that look good. Each day I mix 2-3 cups of lettuce, a bunch of chopped veggies, and to keep it fresh I mix up my protein. Sometimes I add a hard boiled egg (or 2), other times I add turkey slices, cooked chicken breast, a can of tuna, canned black beans, etc. I make my own dressing using olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a splash of lime or lemon juice.

For dinner I often make "breakfast for dinner" - it's really easy to do for one person. I make fried eggs with sausage (I buy frozen sausages bc you can always keep them on hand) or an omelet with lots of veggies. I also keep tons of frozen veggies. I'll make a hot dog and eat a bag of veggies, can of tuna and a bunch of veggies, eggs and lots of veggies, basically protein + veggies. It's not exactly fancy chef food but very easy to make on the fly.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in cooking once, eating for a while on it. On the weekends, I'll make a massive amount of something, and eating on it during the week for lunch at work, or dinner. And another thing that helps it go a bit longer: reduce the amount of it, but add a side salad to the meal.

I try to limit my frozen meal intake, just because of sodium, but as long as you make something healthier yourself, one, it makes you feel better, and two, you're more apt to make a better food choice :)

My husband just had surgery last week, and he asked me to make a few extra baked chicken breasts so he could make chicken pita pockets, or add to salads while I'm here at work.

I'm eating leftovers this week, so I'll have chicken noodle soup for about 3 days, and I'll make chicken tamales for the remainder of the week. I also have taco turkey, which is just a pound of ground turkey browned, drained, and a package of low-sodium taco seasoning. I add it to a bed of salad, and top with salsa, and either plain greek yogurt or fat free sour cream. That's one of our favorites because you can switch it up to chicken, beef, pork, etc... and it still tastes amazing, and it's easy! :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My mother relies heavily on a book called, "Healthy Cooking for Two, or Just You". It might be worth taking a look at.
  • juliemirra
    Options
    I do a lot of eggs for dinner. I usually just use the whites and make frittatas or omelets using different chopped veg and measured cheeses. Then I either pop an english muffin in the toaster, or do some frozen sweet potato fries. it can be a little different every time depending on what you have lying around, but it's one of these meals that's really quick and can be low in calories if you're detailed with your measuring. My advice is to start with one meal you want to make that isn't too overwhelming, and once you have that down, start with another. You'll soon have a rotating list of dishes that you can pull together any night as long as you keep the ingredients in the house.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I just ate a sweet potato for dinner and I'll probably eat some eggs and avocado later. Both options are easy and really yummy.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i live alone and cook for myself. i usually do easy stir fry.. lots of veggies, as i'm not a meat fan. some kind of sauce (soy, chilli, teriyake, etc).. goes with rice or noodles.
    or i'll make noodle soup. very easy as well. similar as the stir fry but just with a broth lol.
    i'm a lazy cook
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The Hungry Girl blog has a lot of easy recipes designed for one person. It's worth checking out.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are my favorite quick meals. They cook in the microwave and are chock full of good goodness. Where it fails in restaurants is that it's not dressed up in a healthy way. Fat Free or reduced fat Sour Cream + Cheese is all I need. If it's going to be my meal, I'll cook up an egg and stir fry some spinach or boil some broccoli.

Avocado Chicken salad sandwich is solid, too. Basically, I take some chicken (diced or canned is fine) add about half an avocado, with a touch of salsa and a quick squirt of lime. Slap it on some bread with some lettuce and I've got an amazing sandwich.

Fish is amazingly easy if you have a toaster oven. Take a frozen slab, place it in tin foil with some sauce or juice. Fold it up into a pouch. Place it on a cookie sheet and toaster oven that up for about 20 - 30 minutes at about 350 degrees. It should come out steaming. You can also add some broccoli and string beans or asparagus to that pouch. I usually use Terriyaki sauces with some garlic, onions, lemon juice or some combination. Don't add too much watery stuff. Smoked Hot Sauce works really nicely with tilapia. If you're doing Chilean Sea bass this way, just add wine, soy sauce and ginger slivers.

Sometimes, I add rice, lettuce, chicken, beans, avocado, salsa, sour cream, smoked chipotle hot sauce to make a home made burrito bowl.

Anyways, this post has made me very hungry.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm Navy so during deployments I'm alone and when he's home but we have the boat he's out every third night. My go-to is a huge salad (spinach, red onion, avocado, tomato, cucumber) with a couple of chicken thighs baked in the oven with a garlic rosemary rub.

Here's the rub:

5 grams (1 tsp) minced garlic
    2 grams fresh rosemary leaves
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    pinch of red pepper flakes

You pile all that up and mince/mash it together to make a paste. Then you rub it on a couple of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Finish with pepper and a splash of fresh lemon juice. Stick that in a 350 degree oven for half an hour, and I usually finish it with broiling on high for a couple of minutes.

During deployments I'm more creative. I like this website:

http://practicalcookingforone.com/
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ohh, bump!
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Well, if you let go of the whole "dinner food" notion you can make an omelete with lots of veggies. I almost always do that when I get left home alone. Or I whip up a baked sweet potatoes with steamed veggies.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why not just cook what you like to eat and take the leftovers for lunch or eat them for dinner the next night? I live alone, so all of my meals are for one. I just find recipes that sound good, and cut them in 1/2 if they make more than 4 servings. Means that I have to cook fewer meals later. I probably eat a frozen meal 2 times/month, and that's really just because there are a few I really like!
  • HoudinisBox
    HoudinisBox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I live alone and some of my fav meals are:

Bisquick Heart Healthy pancakes with maps or agave syrup and a couple sausages
    Sloppy joe (buy hamburger sliders and freeze in pairs for 1/4 lb servings) with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar on a sandwich thin
    Salmon filet thinly coated with mayo, season with salt, pepper, and dried basil baked at 350 for 40 mins
    A bowl of cereal - when i have it for dinner, I can have a bigger portion
    Cook a frozen chicken patty, slice it into strips and make a wrap with shredded cheese and ketchup
    Buy tortellini and portion it out into servings. You can freeze 'em and just cook a serving when you want.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same problem. I love Mrs. T's Perogies because they're versatile and easy to grab from the freezer and cook one serving. I mix it up with them. Tonight I had them with pesto and mozzarella cheese w/ veggies on the side, sometimes I do a mexican theme and top them with bacon bits, light mexican cheese, and salsa, I've topped them with caramelized onions, bacon bits, and light sour cream, or you can just put marinara on them. It's great comfort food that's not too high in calories.

I also cut regular recipes in half and cook them in smaller dishes. I love Melt in your Mouth chicken (you can google the recipe) and anything from skinnytaste.com

I don't know if you have a spiralizer, but I love to buy zucchini and turn it into pasta and top it with frozen shrimp/chicken, etc.

I also agree with breakfast for dinner. I scrambled a couple eggs with some soy chorizo and light cheese and eat it on an English muffin. It's perfect.

If you make larger meals you can put the leftovers in the freezer and have your own cheaper, better tasting, less processed frozen meals, just portion them out into freezer safe containers and label them well.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I make recipes with 4 servings (or 8 if I'm cooking for me and my husband) and package them in the fridge for the week on my days off. That way I don't have to cook when I'm tired from work, or don't feel like it. But making big batches isn't so bad, esp since you can control the ingredients and flavors. Pastas are great and easy, and you can load them up with veggies, I made baked potatoes this week, and those were very easy, foil packs you can bake in the oven are fantastic and easy, you just throw the ingredients in a foil sheet, roll it up and bake! Soups are great and easy to put together and store well too. Honestly, there is a lot you can make with not a lot of effort. WebMD, Allrecipes, Keyingredient, Hungry Girl and just general google searches are what I use to find recipes, depending on what I feel like making for the week.

We also keep sandwich staples and eggs around which are great for any time. You can make a sandwich with the slim bread for about 200-300 calories depending on what you want to use in it. Eggs are great for protien and are so easy to make any time of day. I love scrambles and omlettes topped with sriacha, red onion, bell peppers etc.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well, you could ask your husband to make larger batches of dinner so there is left overs. Or you could freeze portions of what he makes to eat when you want to (can still use the oven or microwave to re-heat).

I pick one day a week and prep 5 salads so I can grab and go on work days. Add anything you want to them. Nuts, dried fruit, any veggies, sunflower seeds, cheeses, it all depends on what you like. Ask your hubby for ideas!!