Why You Shouldn't Focus on Clothing Sizes

Options
This isn't me (I wish!) but I thought it would serve as a really good reminder why you shouldn't focus on clothing sizes as a judge of how much weight you've lost. I see posts all the time from people wondering how they've lost 20, 30, etc pounds but they haven't gone down a pants size, so I thought this would resonate.

funny-girl-pants-sizes-judge_zpse684eb22.jpg

Replies

• HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    Yeah but when you still fit in the exact same pair of pants you were wearing and they don't feel any looser that has nothing to do with vanity sizing.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    That's why if you're going to go by clothing size, you pick one brand and one line / cut within that brand. It's rare for the same line (if professionally made) to have too much variance in their sizing that one pair of 7s will be the same as a pair of 9s in that same line.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Yeah but when you still fit in the exact same pair of pants you were wearing and they don't feel any looser that has nothing to do with vanity sizing.

Agreed. But I'm talking specifically about people that talk about going clothes shopping and getting discouraged because they seemingly haven't dropped any sizes.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That's why you have to keep at least one pair of your "thin pants" and "fat pants" around so you can compare yourself to yourself, rather than the seemingly random whims of people who put numbers on clothes! Ha.
  • tlmclennan
    tlmclennan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You also have to keep in mind on where you live. I moved to Australia from Canada. I am 2 sizes bigger here in clothing (not weight gain, just clothing size) and when I lived in Canada I was 2 sizes smaller if I bought clothes from the US. Big difference.
  • 123im4u2c
    123im4u2c Posts: 63
    Options
    I agree!
    It all depends on the cut of the clothing, especially with pants!
    Some brands and designer labels run small while others run large. It is not easy
    finding pants that are true to size! I basically wear a 6 petite in Levi, Vanderbilt, Claiborne, and Lauren,
    while Calvin' have to be and 8 and Lee is 7/8:huh:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Not long ago I had three pairs of jeans, all the same size according to the labels. One pair was too small, one fit & the other was too big.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Over here (in Europe), i don't fit in anything from the regular stores because i am right above their limit in size. I have to shop in the 'plus size' shops.
    Come to think of it, even when i am thin they have scarecely anything for me. I'm 5'11 also.
    I hate sizes !
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yep - that's my problem. Clothes fit exactly the same. I would love to go shopping for some new clothes.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Yep - that's my problem. Clothes fit exactly the same. I would love to go shopping for some new clothes.

Thigh fat just doesn't want to leave...I hate it.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Part of the inconsistencies are going from junior sizes to women's sizes. If the clothing is an even number (4, 8, 12) its women's sizes and cuts. If its an odd number (3, 7, 9) then they're junior sizes and cuts. Clothes are fut different to fit a 15 year old than they are to fit a 30 year old - usually junior sizes are narrower through the hips and thighs and wider in the waist. And we all know you have to fit the widest part. So, if you're a pear, you can expect your junior size to be larger than your women size, even in comparable styles and the same clothing line.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    love this!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You kinda should focus on clothing size and how they fit though - but the ones you already own.

I had 5 size 18 jeans that were all of different size. I think I'm mostly a 10 now but the size 8 I bought a couple months ago are a bit loose now. I agree that it doesn't mean anything. I typically like sticking to a brand I like so I know exactly what I'm getting now.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Now go to a shop, and try on 5 pairs of the same jeans in the same size.... They'll all be different too. It's something to do with the way they cut the fabric for mass produced clothes. There is literally no consistency even within brands!