Any advice on intermittent fasting?

Options
I just started IF on Saturday so it's only been a few days. I'm fasting 16hrs with 8hr eating windows, so far so good as I'm meeting my calorie goals and my workouts have not suffered since I've always trained in a fasted state. The only time I get really bad cravings is about 30min before it's time to break my fast and water cures that instantly. I guess I want to know if I should watch for certain pitfalls as everything right now feels too good to be true. This is a lot more fun and convenient for me than eating 6 meals a day.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Don't hold back. Thanks.

Replies

• Zenferno
    Zenferno Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity, what kind of training do you do?
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think training whilst doing this would prove hard work. There's no way I could fast until 1pm after doing Spinning or intense cardio 7-8am, I'd be on my knees.

I probably do more than a 12 hour fast without even thinking about it. Rarely eat after 7pm & eat breakfast at 9ish.

I've just been reading up on this and it says to do fasted strength training, there's no way I'd have the strength, let alone the energy.

Good luck to you, it may work for you, I guess everyone's different :bigsmile:
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    Out of curiousity, what kind of training do you do?

Kettlebell circuit training 3-4 times a week and cardio 6 days a week for 40-70 minutes. One rest day on Sunday.
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    I think training whilst doing this would prove hard work. There's no way I could fast until 1pm after doing Spinning or intense cardio 7-8am, I'd be on my knees.

I probably do more than a 12 hour fast without even thinking about it. Rarely eat after 7pm & eat breakfast at 9ish.

I've just been reading up on this and it says to do fasted strength training, there's no way I'd have the strength, let alone the energy.

Good luck to you, it may work for you, I guess everyone's different :bigsmile:

I agree with you, but I have never had an issue training in a fasted state and never felt the need to eat soon after a hard training session. I always ate because I knew I 'had' to. That's why I felt this IF would help me because I'm one of those ppl who can train hard fasted.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get a few minutes of cardio prior to breaking your fast, and then break the fast, THEN do your training. That'll keep you from eventually wearing yourself down. The cardio in the beginning helps rev your metabolism and get your fat burning. I used to do the 8:16 diet, and I looooved it. The only reason I stopped was my job, which is 3rd shift with often spur-of-the-moment forced overtime. It just wasn't conducive to a fasting diet.