New - First time seeking support from a community

Options
Hey all,

I have fluctuated in weight all my life, and I am on my way down again. This time starting at 243, and aiming for 185. Every time I have done this I have hit a plateau at 205...I am determined to get to where I want to be, and to maintain it this time. It has been 4 years since I was last at 205, after I had been at the highest weight in my life of 255.

I am in nursing school, and graduate in May of next year. My biggest fear is working 12 hour days, and being on my feet that entire time, with all this weight on my frame. It's hard on my knees, and I want to have a long career in the field...plus I hate wearing my RN scrub and feeling like I am in a tent, sporting man-boobs. Frankly, it's humiliating.

Anyway, I can use the support. My wife is on this path with me, which is helpful, and so I am also looking for some encouragement from the community.

Feel free to add me, and I'll encourage you the same.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Jeremy ... welcome aboard. I only recently took the leap into the "watching calories" community! It's great that your wife is with you on this road. Is she on the site?

follow your calories, track your food ... DRINK WATER and try to exercise. You will do this!
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck to you and your wife. That's awesome that you are supporting each other in this!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi jeremy! I am in the same boat as you with nursing school. i love it but man oh man may 13, 2010 can't come soon enough. MFP is easy to do with school and just requires some smart shopping and pre planning for meals. I also got 30 day shred since it's only 20 minutes of a very effective work out. I find it doesn't give me an excuse that i don't have the time when i am studying or working on the dreaded process papers. Good luck!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome Jeremy, you've come to an awesome site for loads of motivation
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I joined back in April and mainly used the site just to track my cals and workouts for the first couple of months but I have recently started adding friends. I have to say the support and motivation you find on this site is amazing - it really helps keep you focused and on track. Hope you find the same success and please feel free to add me to your friend list!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hey Jeremy!
    Welcome to the site :) Great to have support at home and lots more here as well :)

Those man boobs:tongue: will be a thing of the past just keep moving forward and keep it healthy! Being a nurse you'll get a ton of walk time in too I imagine. A pedometer might be a fun tool for you to get a hold of if you don't already have one. That way you can track your steps while working to see just how much excercise you're putting in at work alone!

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • sejune
    sejune Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and thanks for the pedometer suggestion when nursing! That's an AWESOME idea! I'm really motivated right now, weighing a 9 lb loss in 5 days (I have always shed the weight fast), but I just have to keep the mindset to continue down this road! I'm looking forward to hopefully being in the 220s by the end of next week!