• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What diet is this? Never heard of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What diet is this? Never heard of it.

It's Intermittent Fasting (IF), fast for 16 hours, eat for 8.

I don't do it myself, but plenty of others do and it works for them. All I can say is try it and see how you feel.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've been looking at the 16:8 diet,

has anyone tried it?
    what sort of results do you get off it?
    Any tips?

Thankyou Caz

IF is more a style of eating than a diet, but if you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I accidentally do it at the weekend because I sleep in! All it will do is reduce your appetite after the first week and give you a longer fasting period. If you are still eating rubbish during the 8hr window then it's not going to do anything. People who struggle with calorie control tend to have better results with it because it puts a very definite end time on snacking. That being said I have no better results doing 16/8 than I do with a normal eating schedule.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most people call it intermittent fasting. you have an eight hour window where you consume your whole days calories, and then you fast for 16 hours. it sounds harder then it is, because generally you have a huge dinner, and sleep most of your fast. coffee and water is allowed during the fast period.

OP, i do it a few days a week. my work schedule doesn't allow me to do it every day. i recommend you check out leangains.com for a great source of information.

also, ease into it. you should just try skipping breakfast once the first week, and just break the fast a little later.

and this type of eating can be different for women, as their are hormone differences. you may benefit better from a 14:10 diet, or however you tweak the hours.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Oh! I personally do not believe in diets, but rather just eating healthy and depending on goals, a caloric deficit. But if it works for you, go for it!
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    think she talking about intermittent fasting (IF)

the variant of fasting for 16 hours and feed for 8hrs

I've tried it before and doing it again now, I'm starting with 14:10 and working my way down to 16:8 its not hard to do you just have to be prepared to ensure you stick within the time. It actually fits with my lifestyle.
  • cazzahi
    cazzahi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i thought it might be fit it well with me as i don't really eat whilst i'm working and then eat in the evening when i've finished, i do drink a few cups of coffee during the day, is this allowed?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i thought it might be fit it well with me as i don't really eat whilst i'm working and then eat in the evening when i've finished, i do drink a few cups of coffee during the day, is this allowed?

yes, coffee and water is allowed during your fast. some will say only black coffee, but whatever, i use creamer and *le gasp* artificial sweetener.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    yes, coffee and water is allowed during your fast. some will say only black coffee, but whatever, i use creamer and *le gasp* artificial sweetener.

get out.... right now!
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    I do this as it fits my lifestyle... I dont eat breakfast and I dont usually eat late. I do notice on the days i do have breakfast I eat more throughout the day, so the 16:8 works for me
  • cazzahi
    Options
    I'm going to do it for a week and see how i get on, I'll keep anyone thats interested posted :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I'm going to do it for a week and see how i get on, I'll keep anyone thats interested posted :-)

no. please, do your research. this not something you do for a week. a week is what you should do just to get acclimated to the type of eating.

and besides that, a week is hardly enough time to see if it works. a month is good. two months is better.
  • cazzahi
    Options
    i've done this for a week and have lost 2lb, i am going to carry on with this for that next couple of months and see how i get one, but it feeling really good so far :-)

Anyone that want to add me as a friend if they are interested how i get on please do :-)
  • utterbubble
    Options
    I may give this a go as well - so literally fast 16hrs and fit my meals in 8hrs? How many meals do you have? thanks
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I may give this a go as well - so literally fast 16hrs and fit my meals in 8hrs? How many meals do you have? thanks

eat your calories in the 8 hour window. how ever many meals it takes.
  • maripusin
    Options
    I been doing it for a week and is very doable, I really like it. I'm not a breakfast eather any way. I try to stay within 1200 or 1300 calories during the hours I can eat. It is very easy and I don't feel like I'm dieting.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    16:8 is pretty much my normal day. There are no miraculous aspects associated with it - it's just another way of eating - I find it suits me and my lifestyle very well. Every once in a while I'll through in a 24 hour fast just to shake things up.
  • ceejayk
    Options
    I read about Hugh Jackman doing this. I tried it. My problem is I sleep in really late, and don't get hungry until late afternoon or evening. So my 8 hours continually fell between 4-midnight. That is the worst time to eat. I gained several pounds :(
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    That is the worst time to eat.

What?

If you gained weight it's because you ate too much, not what time it was....