Does anyone take any kind of appetite supressants???

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I take food. I use it as often as I need to, to stave off my appetite. Side effects include energy increase, mood elevation, and pooping
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant I ever found is the bathroom scale:wink:
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    No, I don't cheat. I use willpower.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have never intentionally suppressed my appetite as I believe we should learn to understand our bodies' signals rather than obscure them. However, I have unintentionally supressed my appetite via:

Coffee (I can literally forget to eat after a latte)
    Hot weather
    Excessive exercise

I never feel hungry when I get a lot of cardio, but the following day, I may.

Personally, instead of using tricks, I'd aim to find a calorie 'sweet spot' where you still lose, but don't feel excessively hungry. I'd start at mfp maintenance and see what happens.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP years ago, I tried green tea. It did work, but I couldn't help but think it was more because of the amount of green tea you need to drink a day to see any impact (6-8 cups a day). I didn't notice a huge difference when I switched to drinking lots of water.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    There are no effective, legal appetite suppressants currently on the market.

I had great success with Redux, but it was pulled due to causing heart valve problems.

There has been some appetite suppression noted with the drug Wellbutrin, but you may not want to risk having a health history that includes using mental health drugs, as this may cause future insurance problems for you or even Constitutional rights issues like the right to keep and bear arms.

I think appetite suppressants are fantastic and I would be totally using them if there was one available, but there isn't. They totally take willpower out of the equation.

So the best you can do right now is eat a low-carb diet. This helps with the hunger problem but isn't nearly as effective as, say, Redux.
  • mathstudent
    Options
    My teen daughter nearly landed herself in the ER with a heart attack from some diet pills she ordered online.

Did they contain bitter orange? It has been linked to two fatalaties, by heart attack, from articles i've read, though they couldn't be sure it was caused by the bitter orange. I presume this lack of certainty is why it's still on the market.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Throw your money in the street. Drink a glass of water. Same results as any of those magic pills.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't and don't really agree with taking them. However, if I am hungry and for whatever reason have to weight to eat, I try to drink a lot of water or I'll have a cup of tea/coffee to subside it whilst I wait if that's any help to you.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options
    Water! Drink until you cant anymore!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything at all sweet (including fruit and diet drinks) until as late in the day and possible and appetite is under control until I do eat something sweet.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Big bowl of spinach and a tomato plus a lowish calorie salad dressing. Or a cucumber and lemon or dressing to dip the cucumber or a half tbs or tbs almond butter on a half a Brownberry multigrain thin roll. Or up to 10 triscuits. A lowish calorie snack tends to curb my appetite pretty well.
  • Cheryl42880
    Options
    Thank you everyone.. Lots of good advice. I have been drinking red bulls :/ idk how unhealthy they are but I feel better after I drink one. I was considering trying the green coffee bean pills just as a energy boost I am realistic about magic pills ect I don't need something to make my fat disappear I know there's no such thing, I just wanted an added little energy... (also I am new so Idk how to add people yet)
  • lizjean123
    lizjean123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took 20mg Adipex AKA. phentermine a few months back. You have to get a prescription but it worked extremely well for me. Problem is that you can't take it forever. In Ohio you can get 90 days of it and then you have to wait almost a year to get it again. Some states are more lenient with it. It does lose its strength over time so a break can be good. I kept the weight off for 6 months and then gained it back. So I am trying again without the suppressant.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Big bowl of spinach and a tomato plus a lowish calorie salad dressing. Or a cucumber and lemon or dressing to dip the cucumber or a half tbs or tbs almond butter on a half a Brownberry multigrain thin roll. Or up to 10 triscuits. A lowish calorie snack tends to curb my appetite pretty well.

Re Triscuits - have you tried the new ones with the sweet potato - they are SO GOOD!!!
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cheese.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Also get a real life accountability partner. My 18 year old college student daughter is mine. Whenever I am about to eat something bad she smacks it out my hand. LOL.. It's all in fun really, but I get the point and immediately look for a healthier option or drink a glass a water. In the end, healthy filling foods and self control are going to be the best appetite suppressants.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You could try Psyllium husk

http://www.naturalnews.com/036645_psyllium_husk_weight_loss_colon_cleansing.html

Typically psyllium husk is thought of as colon cleansing or regularity supplement it can be very useful as a weight loss tool. Psyllium husk is highly effective when taken about 30 minutes before meals. This way, the husks will have time to expand in your stomach and give you a "full" feeling. This will help you eat smaller meals and thus lose unwanted pounds.