McDonalds 'cheapest, most nutritious and bountiful food' ?

Options

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that they taste great too. "As part of a calorie controlled diet" :smile:
  • goodnamegone
    goodnamegone Posts: 237
    Options
    article-0-1B0B4C5A000005DC-845_634x583.jpg

At 390 calories, 23 grams of protein, 7-percent of the daily value of fiber, 20-percent of daily calcium and 19 grams of fat.

Those are good numbers, you add a salad to that and you have a great meal that will fill you up and keep you moving.

Of course everyone can choose what they want to eat and not be judged for it but I really can't see how eating this type of food would be of any benefit to me. I prefer to make my own hamburger if I would eat one. I like real food not chemically enhanced food that I don't trust.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    MSN posted this article about an hour after posting the top 14 foods you should never eat which included McDonalds (but also included strawberries, wheat, beef, beansprouts, popcorn and ice cream!!)
    Scaremongering at its worst :noway: According to these posts I should be riddled with cancer, have lung damage, be morbidly obese but at least have had a cheap, satisfying meal...
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Well yes.. if you only look at the calories.. and then assume the person is counting their calories. Also if you dont give a crap about, you know, nutrition.

Eating healthy food does not need to cost so much.. you just need to be smart about it... which I guess they assume "poor" people cant be? :huh:

ETA: I could live of a bag of nuts every day.. that would be fine in calories, and they have healthy fats! And cost pr calorie is fairly low too.

It IS more expensive in some parts of the country (US) to eat healthier things. I've noticed when I lived in NH, it was much more expensive than here in NC. I can see how someone in the south can have no issues eating healthier for less, but in New England, it's costly, especially in the winter.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's not though is it, for me and my three kids to eat at McDonalds you'd be looking at around £13 for one meal.

I spend £60 a week on all our meals, toiletries and cleaning products so £13 for one meal really isn't 'cheap'.

Also, I have never found McDonalds to satisfy, everyone's hungry again within an hour.
    This!^^^We are a family of 6 (although the baby is still just eating baby food) but if we had 3 meals per day of fast food it would probably run us about $75 (maybe more)...how is that cheap?
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Despite being an article in the New York Post (but I have read only the article linked, not the ariginal one) , I think it's absolutely stupid what it says.
    Firstly, I don't know in UK, but in most European countries (Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, Switzerlanad) Mc Donalds isn't cheap at all and I suppose that that article could be valid only for US.
    Second, it makes no sense consider totallly organic-super expensive-only from farmers-food as the only possible alternative to macdonald. It's absolutely not true in Europe and, for what I know, even in the United States.
    Third, of course mcdonald offers nutrients that we actually need at very affordable prices, but cheesburgers also contain things we don't need at all (too much sugar, saturated fat). Assuming a diet of 1500 calories (4 double cheese) in which we eat only double cheeseburgers, we actually eat 46,2% of fats (too too much), 28,2% of carbohydrates (too few), 25,6% of proteines (too much, considering that is only from meat). Moreover, tha article considers positive that a double cheese covers our fiber needs for 7% but 7x 4 (number of cheesburger in a 1500 kcal diet) is 28%...And what about vitamines?

In conclusion, I think that a cheeseburger occasionally do not kill you, but to pretend that it's a healthy meal seems to me pretty busive.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think (in my biased opinion) that fast food is not innocent when it comes to the obesity epidemic. Do I think it is the direct cause, absolutely not. I hate the fact that fast food is cheaper than produce, but if produce was cheaper (in a perfect world) I still think people would choose fast food. One because it is quick and easy, and two because knowledge. If people would find out what is in fast food, they may or may not buy it. Others would simply not care. I am not knocking it, but I choose not to eat it for various reasons.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Who is saying eat McDonalds for three meals a day?
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    McDonalds gets a bad wrap for sure. But I have to say that there has been times where I was so broke that Mcdonalds SAVED ME. I would usually get 2 sandwiches off the dollar menu, switching between Mcdouble and McChicken. Came to $2.16 after tax. I guess some could argue that you could pack a lunch that would equal that cost per meal at a better nutritional profile, but thats assuming you have enough to front the initial purchase of all that food. So the times where I would have $10 dollars to last a week until my next paycheck, I was SO grateful for the dollar menu. So grateful in fact, that I couldn't give a damn how the nutrition was. It was just nice to be able to put warm food in my belly and be able to finish another day at work.

Things are completely different for me now financially and I rarely go to McDonalds now, just trying to show a different side of the argument.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I ate McDonalds for the first time since Christmas Eve a few weeks ago after a boozey Friday. Not only did it not fill me up or satisfy my hunger, it also made me feel significantly worse.

People who say McDonalds is cheaper than making a healthy and filling meal are simply a) lying to themselves b) too lazy.

You can make a crap ton of Soup for example for way under £5. That with some bread or whatever is a perfectable acceptable and cheap meal that will last.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Sometimes, probably less than once a month, my daughter and I may be out shopping. Before we do our grocery shopping (the last thing before we go home), if it's about lunchtime, we'll stop and have a McDonalds.

Those of you who sneer at us obviously have no idea how nice it is to occasionally eat something that you haven't had to prepare yourself, cook yourself and clear up after yourself. Maybe you do know how nice it is to do that but you can obviously afford to eat at a more nutritious restaurant. It is the ONLY time I get to do this. Even when we go on holiday it is always a self-catering holiday and I have to shop/prepare/cook and clear up after every meal.

McDonalds has it's place. I wouldn't feed my family on it every day but once in a while, for a treat, it's OK.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    McDonald's cheap? XD It really isn't.
    Last time we had a McDonalds (3 of us, and it was a while ago now, last year sometime) it was nearly £20. For 3 people.

I can cook a far more nutritious and delicious tuna steak dinner for us for half that.

And just "no" anyway. McDonald's is not nutritious. Its fine for a treat every now and then if you like it, but that's about all.
  • rachseby
    Options
    Who is saying eat McDonalds for three meals a day?
    No one. The article was presenting it as a cheap alternative, which it isn't. The cost to eat there 3 times in one day is equivalent to about half a weeks groceries for me.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    And if you live in your car? If you live in a place with no stove or oven or refrigerator? Don't forget that to cook in bulk, you still need to go to the store (more time than going through the drive-thru), bring food home, cook it and wait for it to cook, then have space to store it if you're going to cook more than one meal at a time.

Am I saying it's impossible? No, absolutely not, so you don't need to respond with stories about how you make it work. But (assuming you pass a McDonald's on the way home) it *does* take more time and more equipment to make 400 calories of nutritious food than to buy a one dollar McDouble.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    I ate McDonalds for the first time since Christmas Eve a few weeks ago after a boozey Friday. Not only did it not fill me up or satisfy my hunger, it also made me feel significantly worse.

People who say McDonalds is cheaper than making a healthy and filling meal are simply a) lying to themselves b) too lazy.

You can make a crap ton of Soup for example for way under £5. That with some bread or whatever is a perfectable acceptable and cheap meal that will last.
    I used to think like this too! Unfortuanately it is true were the lower class (even with a perfect budget) can simply not afford these meals and have to go the fast food route. You are right however, there is a good majority of people who can change that lifestyle but won't and still use that excuse.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    McDonalds and nutritious do not belong in the same sentence. <-- Except this sentence...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    McDonald's cheap? XD It really isn't.
    Last time we had a McDonalds (3 of us, and it was a while ago now, last year sometime) it was nearly £20. For 3 people.

I can cook a far more nutritious and delicious tuna steak dinner for us for half that.

And just "no" anyway. McDonald's is not nutritious.

Last time I went. (By Myself) It was $12. Cheap? Ummm NO I shoulda have went to Starbucks, would have been cheaper.
  • rachseby
    Options
    Sometimes, probably less than once a month, my daughter and I may be out shopping. Before we do our grocery shopping (the last thing before we go home), if it's about lunchtime, we'll stop and have a McDonalds.

Those of you who sneer at us obviously have no idea how nice it is to occasionally eat something that you haven't had to prepare yourself, cook yourself and clear up after yourself. Maybe you do know how nice it is to do that but you can obviously afford to eat at a more nutritious restaurant. It is the ONLY time I get to do this. Even when we go on holiday it is always a self-catering holiday and I have to shop/prepare/cook and clear up after every meal.

McDonalds has it's place. I wouldn't feed my family on it every day but once in a while, for a treat, it's OK.
    I completely agree. And I would eat about anything that I didn't have to prepare--some days I get so tired of cooking! I don't think that we should blame fast food for our issues, I think that we just need to be more careful with our food choices in general..
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    {edit and snip a lot of rambling}

My opinion of it all is that while McDonald's might never be what you would consider "healthy" food, of all of the typically American "fast food choices", they are (now) probably one of the least damaging to you --- IN MODERATION...

I will say that they've come a LONG way towards to correct their reputation from that shown in documentaries like "Super-Size Me". It also helps me to make wiser decisions (and makes me not hate them so much) now that they have calories posted on the menu, handouts for nutritional values etcetera.

This is in stark contrast to other fast food chains such as -- for example -- Carl's Jr (Hardee's) who seem to take pride in offering 1300+ calorie breakfast and burger options...

Not saying they're healthy. Just saying that -- at least for appearances sake -- they're taking steps in the right direction.

Wayne
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    McDonalds and nutritious do not belong in the same sentence. <-- Except this sentence...
    clever!