ChaLean Extreme - where to get dumbbells?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've checked craigslist and the local used sports equipment shop, no luck. I don't really want to spend a ton of money, considering I want to buy the program as well. Any tip of a place that sells decent quality ones for a decent price? or that has coupons etc? I'm not starting until September.

I have a barbell but somehow don't think it's going to do it for ChaLean Extreme.

Replies

• mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells adjustable dumbbells..they are Gold's gym brand. They are not the best, as they can be tricky to adjust quickly, but they are not as expensive as the others and they get the job done. That is what I have used for ChaLean Extreme....I am asking for Power Blocks or Select Techs for my 40th birthday :0)! Hope that helps :smile: !
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    This is what Heather and I have, and probably what pp is talking about, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-SpaceSaver-25-lb-Single-Dumbbell/21695182.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah these should work. I just kinda wish it was on amazon as I have gift cards!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For most women I know 25 lbs does not cut it for chalean extreme.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Really? Cause I couldn't see having more than 25lbs. I could do more for some of the lower body moves but my hands can barely hold the 25 lbs.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have not used more than 25lbs per weight either.....don't see that happening anytime soon except maybe for the lunges and squats. Then again, I just started working out in April, but even ChaLean doesn't go much heavier than 30lbs.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    You could just search on amazon - search for adjustable dumbbells. I know when I was looking I did look there. They might be a little more expensive but if you have gift cards then it might be worth it to just go through that site. 50 pounders will be more money obviously. These ones I posted can go in 2.5 pound increments after the 5 pounds of the dumbbell itself. You'll want to look at the increments as well if you think that'll make a difference.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    We got ours from ****s sporting goods. We got dumbbells then a bunch of weight to put on.
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do you need a set of 2 or just one for the program?
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    While not part of an exercise DVD or anything, I have taken to walking carrying a pair of 5 pound dumbbells. It's amazing how heavy these tiny 5 pound dumbbells get after swinging them around for a mile or so...

Yeah, I know... Wimpy.. Yeah, I get it, but hey, it's something to consider if you want/need to work out your arms. :)
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try buying your dumbbells in pieces... Maybe this payday buy 1 and next payday buy the match? They typically run a little over $1 per pound at Walmart.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Do you need a set of 2 or just one for the program?

You do need two for the program.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Really? Cause I couldn't see having more than 25lbs. I could do more for some of the lower body moves but my hands can barely hold the 25 lbs.

If grip is the limiting factor wear lifting gloves =) Trust me it helps.
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks shamrock14! I bought Chalean extreme on ebay but am waiting to start it until I move and have more space (probably September). I knew that I needed equipment but was putting it off until the time comes.
  • nehtaeh
    Options

If grip is the limiting factor wear lifting gloves =) Trust me it helps.

Not grip but my hands hurt when I have that much weight. I've talked to others who have the same issue and gloves haven't helped. It might be my hands. I'm also ok with sticking to 25 lbs on the few moves that I might be able to go higher...that or I'll invest in some stand alone 30's someday.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Personally if it were me I would wait until I had enough set aside for a set of proper powerblock or bowflex adjustable dumbbells. The reason being is because you're spending less in the long run. Buying a weight set that is exclusively for use with ChaLEAN Extreme is a band-aid. You will eventually progress past it and you will want weights that can advance with you.
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    >> Not grip but my hands hurt when I have that much weight. I've talked to others who have the same issue
    >> and gloves haven't helped. It might be my hands.

Not an instant fix, but you might consider using a set of those "stress balls" (little rubber squeeze balls) to strengthen your hands as you go.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I bought the Bowflex ones. I think of it as infrastructure...it's a one-time investment in my health. Having the adjustables made a big difference.

I found that I wasted so much money on stupid stuff...like buying coffee at a stand, or impulse items at a store, and so I decided to bring lunch to work (healthier anyway), rent movies instead of going out, borrow library books instead of buying, etc, and the $ quickly adds up to the point that a person can painlessly buy the equipment.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Thanks shamrock14! I bought Chalean extreme on ebay but am waiting to start it until I move and have more space (probably September). I knew that I needed equipment but was putting it off until the time comes.

The program typically comes with bands, you can also buy those if you want. I prefer weights but she does show you how to use the bands.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    >> Not grip but my hands hurt when I have that much weight. I've talked to others who have the same issue
    >> and gloves haven't helped. It might be my hands.

Not an instant fix, but you might consider using a set of those "stress balls" (little rubber squeeze balls) to strengthen your hands as you go.

That would probably help. Thanks!