What is the best % split Carbs/Protein/Fat

Options
I have done so much reading lately I am getting confused...

I'm 5ft4, 144 lbs have a BF % of 41% :sad: trying to lose weight (FAT)... I am doing Kettlebell trainings to gain more muscle

Any one Idea's?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% C, 30% F, 30% P.. so I'm interested to hear what others are doing.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too...my nutritionist has me on 35P/35C/30F...I have to play around with the numbers because MFP doesn't let me enter them exactly that way. My calorie intake is 1450-1500 or so.
  • zeetje
    zeetje Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too...my nutritionist has me on 35P/35C/30F...I have to play around with the numbers because MFP doesn't let me enter them exactly that way. My calorie intake is 1450-1500 or so.

You have been losing weight, great Job! how long did it take you?

My calorie intake isn't that much (yet) since I cut empty calories out my daily intake I haven't been able to eat enough calories, working on that! :bigsmile:
  • BoxerLover96
    Options

My calorie intake isn't that much (yet) since I cut empty calories out my daily intake I haven't been able to eat enough calories, working on that! :bigsmile:

Thank you!
    This is my 6th week of eating healthy. Started with 33.4% BF, and checked that again 2 weeks ago and it dropped to 31%BF! Before...I would only eat twice a day, but very unhealthy and could easily eat 2500-3000 calories!! Now I eat 6 times a day and can stay under 1500!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am liking 45/25/30.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I try and average 40/30/30 - C/P/F over the week - works for me.
  • zeetje
    Options

It looks like for everyone it is a different split...:huh: I wonder what mine would be
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no 1 best answer. It depends on your goals, preferences, etc.

For most people just looking to lose some weight, a fairly balanced split is a good starting point. Something like 35/35/30 (fats/carbs/protein).
  • zeetje
    Options

Thank you!
    This is my 6th week of eating healthy. Started with 33.4% BF, and checked that again 2 weeks ago and it dropped to 31%BF! Before...I would only eat twice a day, but very unhealthy and could easily eat 2500-3000 calories!! Now I eat 6 times a day and can stay under 1500!

Wow good job! I only started 2 weeks ago, only at the stage of figuring things out... I actually gained weight, but lost fat +/- 2%
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40/30/30, but really it's a case of what works best for you, which you will only find out through trial and error. Try something, see how you get on, try something else, compare results, repeat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It looks like for everyone it is a different split...:huh: I wonder what mine would be

This is how I calculated mine:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I shoot for 100g protein and 72g fats. My calorie goal is 2000, so I use the grams and multiply calories per gram, then divide by 2000 to arrive at the percentage, then round it for MFP. I know my grams to hit each day, and I worry more about that than the percentage of calories.
  • BoxerLover96
    Options

Thank you!

Wow good job! I only started 2 weeks ago, only at the stage of figuring things out... I actually gained weight, but lost fat +/- 2%

Congrats on losing that BF! Remember to take measurements of your body because the scale isn't everything.

Edit: Keep track of your measurements so you can see how many inches you lose!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    20% protein, 20% carbs, 60% fat. #paleo :)
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! I was so afraid of adding more carbs in my diet. But after meeting with a trainer, she informed me that I wasnt eating a good balance for carbs/fat/protein. I changed up the macros, and ate no more than 1600 calories per day. In 6 weeks I lost 16 pounds, gained 4 lbs of muscle, lost 9 inches overall, and lost 6% body fat... clearly carbs ARE NOT the devil I once thought they were! :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There is no one best split that works for everyone.

What works for me is 40/25/35. I have to keep protein at 25% or less because my kidneys protest if I have more than that.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    55F/40P/5C (low carb)
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zeetje
    Options

THIS!!!! I was so afraid of adding more carbs in my diet. But after meeting with a trainer, she informed me that I wasnt eating a good balance for carbs/fat/protein. I changed up the macros, and ate no more than 1600 calories per day. In 6 weeks I lost 16 pounds, gained 4 lbs of muscle, lost 9 inches overall, and lost 6% body fat... clearly carbs ARE NOT the devil I once thought they were! :)

Thanks for this!!! I have been afraid of carbs also.:frown: , now since 2 weeks intentionally eat them! still feel a little guilty... hopefully will be seeing results too soon!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

This is the ratio that's working for me, too, and you can customize your macros on MFP. My intake is 1900 cals per day and I don't track my exercise anymore. I try to stick to the 80/20 rule as far as healthier vs. less-than-healthy foods goes and hit my protein and (good) fat macros with enough veg and fruit thrown in. Then I can relax and enjoy that yummy peanut butter cup ice cream... :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a different answer from everyone here.
    My C/P/F goal is set at 20/25/55.
    But I break that on long swim days. Particularly when I am planning a 6km+ swim. Most carb loading I do is on a 10KM swim day.
    Generally I try to keep them lower. I don't always succeed. I'm not a rigid low carber.