How Long Does it Take for Food to affect Weight

Options
If I eat a meal or several meals a day and I overeat too much fat, and too much sodium, when will that appear on me so that it will affect my weight, lets say it makes me gain. When will it appear? And how long will it take to disappear off my body?

the reason I am asking is that if I ate too much fat and sodium on Sunday, the next day it didn't seem to make a difference, but in one or two days it seems my weight fluctuated a few ounces. So I wonder if today's weight had to do with my eating over my nutrients on this past weekend. (you can check my diary if you want to see).

I pretty much stayed within my nutrients but I think the more food I ate may have finally settled in today, and wondering if thats the case, how long will it take to lose anything I may have overate?

Thank you kindly!

Replies

• shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates on a daily basis. I can go to bed 6-7 lbs heavier than I woke up, depending on many factors. Fat won't affect you, sodium may, but if you are under your calorie goal anyways, you will only have water fluctuations. Drink some water, have a good poo, and the excess will work its way out.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat ounces. The average person has up to a 5 lb swing in weight during a 24 hour period based on waste in the body. If you stayed under budget or even under your maintenance budget then you wouldn't gain regardless of how much fat you ate. Fat does not make you fat! The sodium may cause some water retention for a short time but that rights itself.

Don't worry too much about macros, just stay in your food budget and all will be well.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and everyones weight will flucuate on a daily basis multiple times in a day.

For me, sodium will hit me the very next day. If I am way up on sodium today the scale will reflect such tomorrow. Carbs usually 1-2 days.

If you know you over ate in the sodium dept take the next two days to drink a few extra glasses of water to flush it out! There are studies that show it can take upwards of 2 weeks for the body to adjust to food (gain or loss). So what you eat today, might not actually reflect on the scale for days or a couple weeks. Just monitor daily and be consistent.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and everyones weight will flucuate on a daily basis multiple times in a day.

For me, sodium will hit me the very next day. If I am way up on sodium today the scale will reflect such tomorrow. Carbs usually 1-2 days.

If you know you over ate in the sodium dept take the next two days to drink a few extra glasses of water to flush it out! There are studies that show it can take upwards of 2 weeks for the body to adjust to food (gain or loss). So what you eat today, might not actually reflect on the scale for days or a couple weeks. Just monitor daily and be consistent.

two whole weeks sometimes? Can you explain why it could possibly take 2 weeks to show up on the scale? I thought it might take a couple days.