Is it just me or is the sugar allowance a little silly?

Options

Replies

• Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    FINALLY, like minded ppl. WTH! I eat a nectarine and boom... there goes the sugar allowance. I mean really. I would have to eat air pie and water pudding to stay under those goals!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So you're saying I don't have to have it in my diary??

:happy: YAY!!:happy:

Oh thank goodness!! Everything has sugar in it and I am always over! I was beating myself up over it for no reason.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's so low! I took it off and replaced it with fiber. I eat a lot of fruit and I hate that red color except in fiber and protein.

Ditto. It was red after me having just breakfast and a piece of fruit.
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    Yup, it's silly. My nutritionist gave me three cups of fruit a day. I just ignore it. I somehow found out how to adjust it, but can't find my way back.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's so low! I took it off and replaced it with fiber.

For some reason, my brain saw that as "I took it off and replaced it with beer" and I thought "WHOA, you can do that?! Awesome."

I'm undercaffeinated this morning...
  • stitchinowl
    stitchinowl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's not just me!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do go over it sometimes. But for me it is a guideline because I tend to crave sugar than salt, then sugar than salt! I have a lot of weight to loss and I found that if I keep my sugar and sodium close to the recommended amount I generally stay a lot lower on the calories and fat intake. So for me I like it, it works for me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's meant for processed sugar, however I believe you have to go easy on fruit. Like anything, don't over do it.
    What is your definition of "easy" and why do we "have to go easy on fruit"?

Obviously, eating too many calories overall is bad, but what is wrong with fruit?

OP, I don't even track sugar. I'm not diabetic and almost all my sugar is from fruit. I've always eaten a lot of fruit (at least 5 servings most days) and it never hindered my losses or my health.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had an apple yesterday for mid-morning snack and was over in sugar after eating it... I was like WOW. I thought is was a little low.. I'm in the process of removing packaged snacks i.e. protein bars, trail mix etc and replacing them with fresh fruit and veggies for my mid-morning/mid afternoon snacks; no matter what the "sugar" allowance still ends up in the red.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to loss and I found that if I keep my sugar and sodium close to the recommended amount I generally stay a lot lower on the calories and fat intake.

This is a (and probably the only) good reason for tracking it.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    For all the people who want to change it and can't find how to, Mike's recent blog post will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mike/view/myfitnesspal-tip-customizing-your-nutrition-goals-559060

ERRRRMMMMM just realized I was wrong.
    It's in the "Food" tab, then settings.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yay lots of happy people now :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I vote "silly"
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The sugar allowance is silly, I'm pretty sure it counts refined sugar only. I've not kept at my weight loss efforts for much of this year, and only recently got back on track, but when I AM sticking to it I eat a lot of fruit, and still lose lots of weight.

As long as my total carbs and total calories are within the limit, I don't care.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I vote "silly"

My vote too.
  • busy91
    busy91 Posts: 15
    Options
    It seems geared toward someone with diabetes. I eat 2 pieces of fruit too and I'm done for the day. I tend to ignore it. SILLY is the perfect word.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Same here. All the reputable literature I've read on sugar intake refers to restricting added sugars, but the MFP counter doesn't distinguish between added sugars (in sweets, sodas, etc) and natural sugars (in fruits, grains, etc.) Like many other people, I switched it out for fiber, which I've found to be more useful.

That said, if you find it useful, have at it!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i am over my sugar eating two cucumber lol yea its silly i only count my refined sugar
  • btwinkles
    btwinkles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I vote "silly"

My vote too.

so glad I read this post- My vote "silly". count me in. :)
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I am diabetic and I've removed it from my diary too!

I control my diabetes by limiting my carbs so I set my macros for lower carbs and higher fat and protein. Also, on the topic of fruit - berries are better for controlling blood sugar levels than some other fruits. Bananas send my sugars high, as does refined flour products. I wouldn't touch white bread unless I have no choice - like if I'm at a business lunch and there are no wholegrain options.