How can a 6kg kettlebell be too heavy?!

Options
totem12
totem12 Posts: 194 Member
I decided to give kettlebells a go, asked my friend who works out with them a lot and she recommended an 8 or 10 to start. Well I decided on 6 and it is so bloody heavy! I don't dare do anything with it, injury waiting to happen.

WEAKLING!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. We all start somewhere. Do you work out at home or a gym?
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started with a 4 and now I'm on 18 :)

You will get stronger - promise! x
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to do with it? Before you move on to other exercises you should focus on the swing, and if your form is good it should not be too heavy. I know because the RKC does not advocate the use of anything lighter than 8kg even for a beginning woman.
  • Me_vs_obesity
    Options
    Haha, Im sure after workout out with a 6k you'll soon be able to use a 8 or 10kg.
    I have the same problem with workout machines, I put them on a seemingly low number and I can barely move the machine! I hate it >.<
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh come on.. You're not a weakling. In order to excel in things you have to start SOMEWHERE. You're starting at 6kg. It's heavy and that's good cause you'll get stronger. Stick it out and up your weight in time. You'll be doing a 10kg swing in to time! It's supposed to be heavy!! Just make sure your form's good, okay?

x

PS: I started at 10kg and upped it to 16kg. Just ordered a 24kg and going to try and give that a go. Give it time and be patient!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you're a weakling, then so am I (or moreso) because I can't lift 6kg. Stop comparing yourself to your friend and other people. There's no shame in starting at a lower weight to get your form down properly. Start lighter, learn correct form, and work your weights up.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Hang in there, you'll be impressed with how quickly you will gain strength. When I started bicep and tricep exercises, I had to use 1 kg per hand. Now I can use the pulley machine with a total of 40 lbs. That's still ridiculously low for the serious weight lifters, but I'm mighty proud of how far I've come in just a few months. Take a weight that's safe/comfortable, use it consistently, and then move up a notch when you're ready...or even a little before you think you're ready.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Start low and make sure you use good form. I started with 15lbs and now I swing between 30lbs and 50lbs depending on what exactly I am doing.

Just hang in there, you'll get stronger :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I assume you're using it for swings, and in that case, if you're using it properly, no healthy, grown woman should have to start with less than 8 kg, preferably 12. A swing is a posterior chain movement, not an upper body movement. You can use more weight because it's recruiting bigger muscle groups. Get a heavier bell and learn proper form.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You're obviously using your arms. You should be driving the bell with your hips. Don't round your back. Your hand is just a hook for the bell. Engage the lats at the top of the swing as if you're doing a standing plank. Drive the bell back down and hinge at the hips. Repeat.

Too light a bell will allow you to cheat with your arms and teach you crappy form. Get a heavier bell and learn to swing properly. Then move on to more advanced stuff. TBH you could spend your life just doing swings properly - it's really that good of an exercise.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You're obviously using your arms. You should be driving the bell with your hips. Don't round your back. Your hand is just a hook for the bell. Engage the lats at the top of the swing as if you're doing a standing plank. Drive the bell back down and hinge at the hips. Repeat.

Too light a bell will allow you to cheat with your arms and teach you crappy form. Get a heavier bell and learn to swing properly. Then move on to more advanced stuff. TBH you could spend your life just doing swings properly - it's really that good of an exercise.

Uhm yeah, ^ this guy said it all!! That's what I was wondering too. Make sure the motion comes from your hips. :)
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, being a complete beginner I was perhaps doing it wrong! Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
  • dagolifts
    dagolifts Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't give up. We all start somewhere...just keep at it. you can do it!
    Don't give up. We all start somewhere. Do you work out at home or a gym?