When to remove HRM?

Options
jupdyke
jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
Okay, so I just got done doing P90X...I notice that as I am still coming down, my calorie burning is still increasing. How long after a workout do you take it off to count calories burned?

Replies

• xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take mine off when I reach my resting heart-rate.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I start mine when I press play and turn it off when the instructor (Jillian Michaels, currently) says bye. I'm super impatient and I want to log my calories right away. I also go over my calories at least a little bit everyday. So I feel like any extra calories burned after just help me justify that. :P
  • jupdyke
    Options

This may sound silly, but how do I figure out what mine is?
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Good question. I always just stop mine right after my workout and use the calories the watch says as my calories burned. Maybe I should be keeping it on until my heart rate is at resting. Curious to see all the answers on here.
  • jupdyke
    Options
    Good question. I always just stop mine right after my workout and use the calories the watch says as my calories burned. Maybe I should be keeping it on until my heart rate is at resting. Curious to see all the answers on here.

I took mine off and it said cal burned was 576; 20 min. later it says 694 and climbing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Take it off right away. Note that your calorie burn has nothing to do with your HR...at least not directly....your HR is simply used in a formula that also assumes that you are performing an aerobic event. Once you've ceased that activity, the calorie burn becomes less and less accurate. A HRM is only relatively accurate when you are actually performing an aerobic event (i.e. your HR is elevated over 120 BPM for a sustained period of time).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I stop mine after stretching (about 5 minutes after end of workout). I've head a lot of people say they stop theirs once their hear rate goes below 100.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I took mine off and it said cal burned was 576; 20 min. later it says 694 and climbing.

That's not even remotely accurate...see my previous post. I used to have a very high resting HR and back in the day before I knew better I wore my HRM all day long...it said I burned 6,000 calories in a day...I think not. It is only relatively accurate while actually performing an aerobic event.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    HRM are best (most accurate) for steady state cardio, but obviously can and should be used for all exercise.

Start the HRM when you begin your workout and stop when you're done with the workout. For me it is usually right after I finish stretching. My HR is still elevated but I'm done with my workout. My "burn" was for that 45-80 in which I was doing my workout!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

This may sound silly, but how do I figure out what mine is?
    should be in the user manual for setting up the HRM.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As soon as you are done working out. Elevated HR =/= higher calorie burn. the HRM uses it as a gauge to see how hard you are working. If you are no longer working but your HR is elevated, you will not be burning nearly the cals your HRM thinks, as it assumes you are still working out
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

No you had it right, once you are done, stop the HRM or you will overestimate your burn.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off right away. Mostly because I find it really uncomfortable and don't want to wear it longer. I also don't feel its fair to have the calorie burned increase when I've stopped working out even though my HR is still up. Personal preference I guess.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I shut it off when it gets down to 100. Totally arbitrary.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I stop mine at 100, it doesn't take long and it's usually not many calories but you do still burn more after high intensity or vigorous exercise. It's called the afterburn effect. Exercise boosts metabolism which makes your body burn more calories.

If I'm just walking, I stop it as soon as I stop because I haven't got my heart rate up high enough to have an afterburn. I've done this since I started and have been successful in losing weight.