I *honestly* do NOT understand...

Options

Replies

• tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I pour my chips into a bowl and put the bag waaay up in the pantry. I find it's much easier to control how much of them I eat that way.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Okay, now I am craving Ruffles. I don't keep them in the house because I crave them more if I eat them. I would have to say this is my number one trigger food. I used to think it was ice cream. Now I buy a good quality ice cream that comes in 1/2 cup serving cups - Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and I always include it in my macros for the day. I never feel tempted to get another one. Cheddar cheese used to be a problem, but cutting it into 1 oz servings has made a huge difference.

Chocolate is not a trigger food for me, either. I can buy the snack size candy bars like Hershey's milk chocolate or Nestle's Crunch and eat just one. That would not be the case with Ruffles. I find it so interesting that trigger foods for different folks vary widely.
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ...how someone (not me) is able to STOP eating chips or bugles or cookies (insert trigger food here.) My trigger food: potato chips - or anything salty really. If there is a bag or box of something salty in the house I cannot NOT finish the entire bag or box. I am baffled by people that can eat just a few. My husband, for example, will eat just 4 or 5 chips and that's enough for him - I sit and look at him with awe. I generally don't have my "trigger" foods in the house but last week was a bad week and I went on an emotional eating roller coaster of a ride which culimanated in my finishing ALL chips in the house last night (not logged - too ashamed) and polishing off a bottle of wine (logged.) So, how do YOU manage to not totally inhale your trigger foods? I would LOVE suggestions/ideas/advice! My waist begs you!

I feel like you and I could be twins! Would love to know what others suggest. I've tried substituting with nuts, figuring they're also salty and crunchy, but it just doesn't cut it for me. If there is a bag of kettle potato chips in the house, I'm going to want to inhale the whole bag. Looking forward to everybody's suggestions!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think for the time-being I'm going to keep the house salty snack clean and when I feel ready to incorporate the foods back into my diet then I'll have to portion control. Probably for the rest of forever. :grumble: Bottom line.

Sigh.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just don't buy those things. if I have a bag of chips in front of me, I would eat a lot of it.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unlike some of the amazing ppl on here, I DO have a trigger food, its chips so to the orignial poster, I AM RIGH THERE WITH YOU.
    I think potato chips were created by the devil frankly and it is his way of making me stay at my current size. :mad:

My way to avoid my trigger foods and going overboard is to buy them in moderation.
    So I buy them only like once every other month. I love the ones they sell in TJMaxx, Wholefoods and Wegman's the
    avocado oil chips. YUMMMMMMM. But they are no healthier than other chips and will still stick to your hips, tummy or wherever else, just like regular chips. So I buy them every other month and eat them thorughout the week and on my cheat days but I DO measure out the portion size.

I think you HAVE to eat your trigger foods every now and again to ensure that you can incorporate them into your life after you reach your goal weight but you must do it reasonably to ensure your continued success.
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm the same way. I just have learned to accept I absolutely cannot keep certain items in the house. I can finish off a half gallon of icecream in a day if it's a kind I like, so now if I really want icecream, we go out for a single scoop cone.

I can't keep chocolate chip cookies in the house either for the same reason. When I want those, we go the the grocery store bakery where you can buy just singles ones and get just a couple small ones.

Now chips are different, I can eat just one (but not my trigger food)

I think it's all just learning your weaknesses. Food is my addiction, and I have to learn to keep the stuff I can't control myself around away.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think for the time-being I'm going to keep the house salty snack clean and when I feel ready to incorporate the foods back into my diet then I'll have to portion control. Probably for the rest of forever. :grumble: Bottom line.

Sigh.

It won't be forever, but will power for me has come with baby steps. I did not even keep chocolate chips in the house when I first started trying to lose weight. Now I buy anything and everything and rarely go on a salt/sweet rampage... but I've added things back in slowly.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Who can stop eating popcorn at the movies? It's impossible. I swear they lace it with crack.

I agree... love movie popcorn(well, popcorn in general)...but, the smell as you walk in is so overwhelming. The last two times, my hubby and I were finally able to not eat popcorn but ate something else instead that wasn't so high in calories or fat... I choose cocoa dusted dry roasted almonds... I have tried the kids size... didn't work. I wanted more...
  • marionmmm
    marionmmm Posts: 61
    Options
    Glad to know POTATO CHIPS bring us all down. I quit buying them years ago because I didn't want to be "THE FAT CHICK' in line at the store buying a bag of chips... Yeah, I'm going home to sit on the couch and inhale the entire bag....

So there, I quit buying them... besides, after a while, they didn't taste as good as I remember...
    Do like others said, LOG EVERYTHING because the ridiculously huge calorie hit from a 1/2 or a whole bag of chips just wasn't worth it anymore...

mmmmm Bugles.... salty crunchie goodness....
  • apcartwright
    apcartwright Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the way I handle my trigger foods is to find healthier alternatives, so when you binge its not quite as bad, not that I don't eat the bags of chips that I used to, but I feel it can curb the need to have that whole bag of high fat high sodium, remember it takes at least 21 days to break a habit, I was eating up to 900grams of cheese a week, now I can go for a few days not having it. But I still can't keep a big brick in the house or I will nibble it away.
  • DaniKPudgie
    DaniKPudgie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How about small individual serving bags? That way you get to eat the whole bag, but still be good!

^This
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I always loved chocolate, especially milk chocolate. But now, I only have 70% or higher dark chocolate. I really don't like it, but it takes care of the chocolate fix and its good for you too!
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You know-we all have trigger foods. Mine was anything that was bad for you. But now since I work with a wellness coach and have since the end of April this year, I eat so much different now and all the cravings are gone(did I just say that) It is true. Now i don't eat anything that is lowfat or no fat, we just eat wholesome foods, baked potatoes with butter and sourcream which suprises the hell out of me and I still lose 2 to 2.5 lbs a week. But I work out 2 times a week also. I used to drink coffee and diet soda daily, a lot of it, now I drink seltzer, gave up all artificial sweeteners, and can eat 2000 cal a day and 2500 on workout days. My life has totally changed. I try to eat clean most of the time and a little dark chocolate with quinoa for a treat. I wish you all well with your goals and if I can help friend me.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    It isn't easy. My triggers used to be pizza and chocolate. Now that alcohol is in my life it has become my trigger and I don't have a problem turning down the pizza and chocolate. Not saying that you can necessarily switch your danger food, more thinking that I don't believe there is anyone who has ZERO triggers. It is more a matter of building up the willpower to resist. Right now I am learning how to have a single glass of wine in the evening. I don't always succeed, but the days that I do are slowly getting to be greater in number than the days that I don't. For me, I have to learn how to live with a vice because I know I can't avoid it forever, and I accept that this will involve some trial and error.

I also swapped out my previous trigger foods (chocolate, pizza, baked goods) for alcohol. I feel it's easier to control my drinking habits than it is my eating habits, especially considering that not every situation is alcohol-appropriate. Sometimes the only thing stopping me from being triggered is the lack of availability/opportunity--even though I'll acknowledge that it would probably be better if I just had stronger will power or a healthier relationship with food.
    But, as the above poster mentioned, I don't think there is anyone with absolutely no trigger foods at all. I find that my boredom-munching can be overcome by my overwhelming laziness--if I didn't buy it at the grocery store when I went grocery shopping, I'm surely not going out now to go get it. That would take effort :P
  • hnvigil72487
    hnvigil72487 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahclay
    ahclay Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For years I would not buy peanut butter because I went through it so fast. For a while it was the same with ice cream. I say don't deny yourself your fave thing, but DON'T keep it in the house. Once I lived in a high rise above an ice cream shop. It was great, because if we wanted ice cream after dinner, we had to dress and make ourselves presentable, go all the way down there, order and wait, and then we'd make ourselves sit in there and eat it. I maintained my weight very well that way.

Also used to live a good five minute walk from a 7-11. At that time my fave treat was Haagen Dazs bars. I could have one only if I had eaten something healthy and then walked briskly to and from. Didn't gain any weight that way.

But now I can buy those bars in bulk at Costco. I don't, because then it's not a treat. So keep the big bags out of your house. Once a week WALK to the store and have some, and when they're gone, you stop.
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to be successful with it, but I had to force myself to only eat a serving size, or half a serving size, of my trigger foods. Those tend to be candy, especially candy that is in small pieces like malted milk balls or individual chocolates. I could eat those until I'm sick, but I spent a lot of time buying those items and portioning them out into half servings in plastic baggies. Then, when I ate them, I ate them as slowly as possible; letting the candy melt in my mouth, or thoroughly chewing a salty snack. If I felt like I needed more, I could have the second half serving and not turn it into a calorie bonanza, but oftentimes I'd be okay with just a half serving.

Now, I can have a piece of this, or a bite of that, and as long as I eat it slowly I tend to be satisfied with it. Logging every single junior mint and piece of peanut brittle that I eat is still something I do, because they can add up and I don't want to get into the habit of eating a little bit of EVERYTHING and then chalking up 400 unexpected calories, but portioning out my treats and having to open a new bag each time I want to get more than a half serving helped a lot to get me into the habit of eating a little bit instead of a lot.

This also works for ice cream; I actually use a tiny bowl for my ice cream, and can only really fit a serving, or one and a half servings, into the bowl. I have to actively make the decision to go get more ice cream, and after I've already eaten some, it's easier to say "nah, I'll go do something else," or "nah, I'll have some more later".
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to be 100% on track than 98%. I know a lot of people are able to fit their favorite treats into their calories/macros, but I find it easier not to. I've accepted this after many experiments.
  • MissTerri82
    MissTerri82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Junk food is an addiction. Sometimes I just can't go a day without having something sweet to satisfy my soul. (all in my mind) LOL, but seriously, I try my best to subsitute my sweet cravings for something different such as, yogurt with granolas, protein bars or those 100-calorie snacks. Now they are really good. My fav is the Lorna Doone's cookies...O...M...G! So delicious. I still have my guilty pleasures sometimes, but I'm trying to manage and keep it under control. You just have to have that strong, will power to just say NO to junk FOOD at times. It's okay to eat it every once in a while, but just don't over-indulge. You can do it! :)