87 pounds lost... do I carry on for the big 100?

Options
Hudds925
Hudds925 Posts: 12 Member
Hello.. thought I would share my story and get some of your thoughts.

Two and a bit years ago I had a son and after looking at the photos of me with him I thought that I MUST do something about my ballooning weight. I weighed 21 stone exactly (294 pounds). I was 33 and looking at shortening my life not being there for my kids, just generally being unhealthy and not being a good role model for my two (we already had a little girl - 4 at the time).

I embarked on my journey (kind of corny but as I am two years down the line fairly apt). I did the low GI diet to start off with (lost around 4.5 stone (63 pounds) on that and I have been on mfp for the last three months and have lost a further 22 pounds.

I think for anyone starting out on the this journey you HAVE to be motivated - YOU are the only person that can do this - yes fitness trainers - dieticians etc can all help but it is down to YOU.

I have just put a couple of photos on here - you will see the first ones with aforementioned son - the last one is with my girl.

269432_10150686429145114_2262955_n_zps9e73ddf5.jpg
38299_10150233613695323_3637514_n_zps848f36bd.jpg
382549_10151632396080901_1137013391_n_zpsbacecd29.jpg

I have lost 87 pounds all in. 13 more to go before 100. Don't know whether to push for the last bit.

If you are looking to get on the weight loss gravy train then something that really really works for me is training and training for a specific purpose in mind - for me it's triathlon - which I love doing and that is what has really kept me going. Trying to get quicker and fitter and beating my times.

Side effects of weight loss warning - better self esteem - feel good about yourself - better prepared for life - me: triathlon bore!!

Replies

• rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey! Why not! Go for it honey!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an awesome accomplishment! Your story is so inspiring to those of us still struggling! I say go for it!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    you look great right where you are, but that's up to you to decide....helluva nice job on the 87!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable weight loss man, congratulations. As for the last 13 pounds, it's up to you, if you feel like you can still be healthy down at that weight, then go for it. It's all about how you look in the mirror and how you feel. I'm doing my first triathlon in October. It's only a sprint triathlon so it should be a nice easy intro into triathlons before I go for a full one. Good work man.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Woow you look amazing.
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wow! you look amazing. Awesome work. what the heck, go for it, you have come this far, make it an even 100. but if you are comfortable on where you are at, then that is fine you. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • michelle0114
    Options
    You look aswsome!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable and healthy as you are? If so, then don't go any further. The scale is just a number.

I think you look amazing as you are, tbh.
  • dustinvandyne7
    dustinvandyne7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome story, congratulations. One thing I would think about if i were in your shoes, is the fact that when you are training you could be gaining muscle! So don't be discouraged if the 13 lbs do not come off easy ( considering you decide to knock 'em off). I have a friend who is training for Tough Mudder and he actually is gaining weight from his training. He is starting to really pack on the muscle. Good luck for which ever you decide, and thanks for the motivation!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look great and it sounds like you have a great attitude!

Try not to look at it as whether or not you should hit that special number of "100", but whether or not you want (for health and/or self esteem reasons) to be 13 lbs lighter than you are now. Forget the actual numbers; do you want to lose more fat? Do you want to be leaner/smaller? I've lost a similar amount, and while I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, I'm pretty sure that if I lost 100 total, I'd be too thin for my own preference. So, as cool as 100 sounds, I'm not aiming for that.
  • thebowhunter
    thebowhunter Posts: 173
    Options
    Go for it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! and by the way your son as a baby is the cutest thing ive ever seen!!!
  • Hudds925
    Hudds925 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your kind words. I have started to look at my body fat % am currently at 17 is (not the most reliable machine). I have read somewhere that 15 is good for a keen amateur athlete so I'm going to aim for that will probably equate to 13 is pounds anyways.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! you look great! Go for those last 13 pounds!!! That will give you some wiggle room LOL
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well done! Just a little number crunching for you. If 17% BFP is accurate at 207 pounds, you'd be at 15% by losing 5 more pounds, assuming all 5 are fat pounds.

I know it makes for better party chat to give a number like 100, but personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Get to the BFP you want and call it a day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!