"No-Poo" Challenge

Options

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I tried this method, I was going to do the full 6 weeks, but I simply could not do it. My head itched, I felt gross... so now I tie my hair up with a tshirt to dry (plopping LOL - that's actually the "method" name hahahaha ... in a no poo thread :laugh: )

Sometimes my hair is nice, others, not so much. This humidity is killing me though
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    As a chick I feel I should know what's going on here.. but really have no clue....

I honestly thought this was a thread about not using the bathroom until I realized it was a hair thing
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have oily hair I am terrified to try it. Always wanted to

You're not alone. I'm more oily now then I was a few years ago and I'm giving it a shot. So far, so good.

Give it a shot for awhile, and if it turns out terrible then go back to "pooing"
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely oily scalp and 'poo/condition daily. I started using just conditioner after workouts so I wasn't 'pooing twice a day. It was fine for at night, but I can't get away with it otherwise. Will definitely be trying baking soda next. Thanks for the tip!
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    my hair is so thin that i have to wash it every day or at least 6 times a week or it looks oily and i cant stand it
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

You're not alone. I'm more oily now then I was a few years ago and I'm giving it a shot. So far, so good.

Give it a shot for awhile, and if it turns out terrible then go back to "pooing"

ok :) And lol at pooing! Im immature I don't care lol!!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    my hair is so thin that i have to wash it every day or at least 6 times a week or it looks oily and i cant stand it

For me, I have what I call an "underneath layer" which is really like a second layer of hair in the back underneath all the rest of my hair. It is fine, very thin, and it does not grow past my shoulders. So my hair will never be one length, and really it just gets in the way of me doing anything with it.

This ridiculous layer (that I would love to shave off) is so thin and fine that it clumps very easily and it looks oily even if the oil isn't even close to getting there yet.

This layer. is the bane. of my existence. THE BANE.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

ok :) And lol at pooing! Im immature I don't care lol!!

I couldn't get through my original post without a few giggles. :laugh:
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I would have never guessed this was about Shampoo

I shampoo and condition every day sometimes twice a day.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Currently googling this stuff. Now I'll have something else to care about that I didn't even know I cared about before!!!!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I would have never guessed this was about Shampoo

I shampoo and condition every day sometimes twice a day.

That's bad for your scalp, and your hair. :ohwell:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used to be a 'poo every day girl, and would feel greasy if I missed even one 'poo.

As of now, I haven't 'pooed since January, and I feel great. There was definitely an adjustment period, though.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this thread!!

I use to be an everyday poo'er; now I'm like an every other day poo'er. I have fine hair and I am scared to not poo'.

**giggles at saying poo' so many times :laugh:
  • yourgirlbribri
    yourgirlbribri Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am no poo. I don't use baking soda though, I use an egg and 1 oz of water mixed together. It cleans really well and makes my hair really shiny. I've noticed that my hair isn't frizzy anymore and actually creates soft curls/waves:bigsmile: . My hair wasn't really oily but the ends were always dry and brittle. The ends aren't soft but they are no longer brittle thanks to all the protein in the egg. However, because of the protein I can only was my hair once a week or else my hair will become dry brittle and break off and fall out. I like the egg better than shampoo. Oh and it doesn't smell.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    As a chick I feel I should know what's going on here.. but really have no clue....

This - I think they are talking about shamPOO - but then again, most normal people would have just spelled it out - I've NEVER hear it called Poo'ing my hair.

In that case, I shampoo & conditioner every other day, and my hair is as healthy as can be.

In the OTHER case, I am NOT regular and am seeing gastroenterology for disorders of the intestines. Hoping that solves issues.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I tried this and found what lots of other girls with fine hair found: it didn't work.

Thick or curly hair seems to love it.. my hair just got sadder and flatter even after my scalp adjusted.

After doing it I don't wash my hair as often as before (only shampoo 3 times a week) and I put coconut oil on the ends of my hair and tuck them inside my bun before working out to give it some extra moisture and protect the ends.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a no-poo.

I have female balding and had a super-oily scalp. I've been doing CO for almost two years, and no longer have oily hair/scalp. My ends don't split, my hair grows better, it's super soft and shiny, and I've had a *tiny* bit of regrowth despite coming from a long line of slowly balding women. Still super fine and super thin, but no more oily and itchy. In the summer I would be oily AND dandruff-y, so, yah, never going back. It also eased my scalpal Psoriasis (may be coincidental, that last).

And the cheaper the conditioner, the better. Someone else mentioned the VO5, and I often use that one, or whatever I can find cheap that lacks the waxes and plastics and silicones that make up all of the mid-range conditioners and half the high end ones...

I'm also two years in to OCM for my face, again with truly amazing results, better skin, and no acne (and I had very painful acne from the age of 12 to the age of 39) not even during the "raging acne" part of my cycle. Still doesn't kill *all* the blackheads, but I'm no longer oily and oozing and injured from over-using drying products to try to compensate...
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

This - I think they are talking about shamPOO - but then again, most normal people would have just spelled it out - I've NEVER hear it called Poo'ing my hair.

In that case, I shampoo & conditioner every other day, and my hair is as healthy as can be.

In the OTHER case, I am NOT regular and am seeing gastroenterology for disorders of the intestines. Hoping that solves issues.

Most normal people would have googled "no-poo" and found a whole slew of results including the website NoPooMethod.com :huh: You seem really bothered by my use of the word "poo" it's not a bad word, get over it.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I tried this and found what lots of other girls with fine hair found: it didn't work.

Thick or curly hair seems to love it.. my hair just got sadder and flatter even after my scalp adjusted.

After doing it I don't wash my hair as often as before (only shampoo 3 times a week) and I put coconut oil on the ends of my hair and tuck them inside my bun before working out to give it some extra moisture and protect the ends.

I have fine hair :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    QUESTIONS!

1) How do you administer the baking soda and water? Just pour it on?

2) what happens if you have wicked bad dandruff? I ONLY use head and shoulders because my scalp itches if I don't.

*note, I wash my hair every other day