New Gym Questions

Options
shunggie
shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
I've recently joined a new gym. They have a 20 station circuit training area where there are 10 weight stations <arms, legs, etc> and 10 step stations. I have two questions:

1. I'm logging the calories as circuit training- is that the best way?

2. On the weight machines, how do I choose the weight? I try a weight that is not too hard to lift, but by the end of the minute the weight seems heavy.

Help, I've only ever done cardio these weight machines are new for me but everyone says they will help with weight loss.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your last few reps on each exercise should be difficult to complete with good form. If at the end you think you could have done more reps, increase the weight next time. It is suppose to be hard/difficult, pushing yourself is how you improve fitness and strength.
  • shunggie
    Options
    I've only been doing it for two weeks. Yesterday I did all the weight machines instead of just the ones in the circuit. I'm going to stick with these weights for another week. Sometimes if it's too easy, I will switch to a higher weight and start over again.
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Best way to check your calories is with a HRM, MFP tends to be too high for cardio and to low for weight training IMO.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing it right. Once a weight gets easy, increase it. Try to increase your weights every few weeks, at the least. I started out on circuit training weight machines and they helped me get prepared to lift heavy.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's supposed to be hard. It's also good to keep increasing the weight each session, so that you keep stressing your muscles.

I'd also recommend free weights over machines (assuming your gym has them), since they'll also work out the stabilizing muscles that the machines miss since the weights are supported. I know that corner of the gym can be a bit intimidating, but I would strongly suggest picking up the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, and following that program.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I agree with what erikirb said.
    Do the weight machines have little computer screens where you can enter your ID number and log the amount of weight and reps?
    If not, find a way to log your workouts, even if you just write them in a notebook.
    Then you can remember how much weight you lifted and if it seemed difficult or easy.
    If it was easy, up the weight right away.
    If it was difficult, do that weight for a week or so and then try upping your weight.
    If you're consistent, it will be fun and rewarding to see your progress :smile:
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    Most gyms have someone you can ask for help if you are new. They don't want their new customers to get hurt. Usually you can schedule one hour with someone to show you how the machines and free weights work. You can check out youtube for instructions on how to use free weights. I personally need to see it because reading about it is harder for me to understand.
  • shunggie
    Options
    I have tried the free weights before and I'm just too self conscience to use them. The weight machines do not have a computer hookup but I had not been tracking the weight on different machines. I will start doing that.