• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I before E accept after C?

poor Einstein
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Love this! English is my fourth language and I celebrate that I can speak,read and write it better than the vast majority of those for whom it is a native language.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    For those of you that this seems to bother have you considered that perhaps english is not the person's first language!

If you have so much time to let it bother and you make a post about it I suggest you step away from the computer there is a whole world of exciting things to see and do in real time! Plus alot of real issues to b*tch about!

Karen

Darn you Karen! I was so hoping you had some grammar issues I could pick apart in your post. No improper use of there, they're, or their. No incorrect use of apostophes. How dare you.

ETA: Never mind. You used an "If then" statement format and did not include the "then". Shame on you.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    For those of you that this seems to bother have you considered that perhaps english is not the person's first language!

If you have so much time to let it bother and you make a post about it I suggest you step away from the computer there is a whole world of exciting things to see and do in real time! Plus alot of real issues to b*tch about!

Karen

In my experience, most of the people using incorrect grammar or spellings have been Americans; the kind that put "welcome to America, now learn English" decals on their cars.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sigh.
  • dluberts
    dluberts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    why does this even matter?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I have no comment on this...I'm just going to put this gif here (thank you skullshank!!!)

heres_a_fat_raccoon_biting_shirtless_santa_therefore_your_argument_is_invalid-64407.gif
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Karen

In my experience, most of the people using incorrect grammar or spellings have been Americans; the kind that put "welcome to America, now learn English" decals on their cars.

Who has the flag on the moon? That's right MERICA
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *twitch*
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Love this! English is my fourth language and I celebrate that I can speak,read and write it better than the vast majority of those for whom it is a native language.

Whut u talkin bout boi? I dont no where you get off makin fun of uders that dont speek so well lik u.

Disclaimer, I am friends with the quoted individual!!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Who has the flag on the moon moon? That's right MERICA

Fixed it for ya.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4yCQEJaExBDzkhgCEU4OtZMeaaDN_B0cEi441ii4qMDFUEE_6
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation as to whether a grammar/spelling issue bothers me. In an informal setting (such as online forums, texting, Facebook, etc) it doesn't really bother me unless it's so bad it changes the whole meaning of the sentence. If it's in a formal letter, or on a professionally-made sign, it irritates me because it does make the writer look foolish. There is a taco place here in town that has a big mural (actually a simple menu) on the side of the building. They have everything spelled with an apostrophe ("taco's, burrito's, enchilada's, tostada's," and so on). Drives me bonkers, because that makes the word possessive, not plural. The bad thing is, someone thought up the idea, painted it on the wall for the world to see, and nobody picked up on that? I've also seen professionally made signs (the kind you know they paid a sign-making company to make for them--not cheap) with errors. What, no editors? Nobody called the person placing the order to make sure that's REALLY what they wanted?

I don't get upset about it, or usually even say anything unless I think it would embarrass the person more to leave it alone (hey, the mural's already painted. Not much to be done now. But if my husband is writing a letter of recommendation for someone, you can bet I'm going to correct it before it gets sent out.) If someone here says "I want to loose some weight" we all know what they mean, it's not the end of the world, and this kind of environment is about as informal as it gets. I'm not going to call someone out on it--what good purpose would it serve?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I before E accept after C?

poor Einstein
    He was a weird one.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Seems like I see it wrong more than I see it right. For anyone unsure of the difference between lose and loose: I am eating at a calorie deficit, so I am going to lose weight. Now that I have lost weight, my pants are too loose. That's all I wanted to say, you can go back to succeeding at weight loss. Peace
    I actually get paid to correct people's writing (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.). I have a degree in English lit. I even edit published books in my head when I read.

Yet somehow I manage to not need to call out random people posting on a message board for small lapses such as this.

But then I don't have a need to make myself feel intellectually superior over something so trivial.

But isn't that what you just did?
    You're a quick one.
  • rml_16
    Options
    do they mame many madams?

*nice alliteration, amirite??

I'll ask. :-)
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    If this is posted so often you'd think people would use correct grammar by now!

Using loose/lose incorrectly is a spelling error not a grammatical error.

Does it really matter? The only reason to write in a forum is to communicate. If the readers understand what is written, however it is spelled, then its purpose is fulfilled.

How many of us would spell the same way that Shakespeare did? We would consider his spelling incorrect. Language evolves over time. It's a pity some people don't.

The only reason to make fun of someone else is to try to appear superior to them. All you end up doing is demonstrating how sad your lives are.

Stop being so damn condemnatory and get a life!!!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If this is posted so often you'd think people would use correct grammar by now!

Maybe if we annoy people with these types of posts enough, they'll figure it out haha

Doubtful.

http://tinyurl.com/mfp-loose-lose
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Karen

Who has the flag on the moon? That's right MERICA

The colours have completely faded by now. Now it just looks like the moon is surrendering.