Going to a wedding for the weekend - HELP!

Options
Okay, so I am away in a couple of weeks to go to a friends wedding. Obviously I won't get the chance to exercise like I normally do so I am just going to try to stay within my daily calories. But my question is, how do I do minimal damage?!!! I will be drinking, having a sit down meal and then there will be a buffet later. I really don't want to undo all the work I have done recently. Any tipe would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    Okay, so I am away in a couple of weeks to go to a friends wedding. Obviously I won't get the chance to exercise like I normally do so I am just going to try to stay within my daily calories. But my question is, how do I do minimal damage?!!! I will be drinking, having a sit down meal and then there will be a buffet later. I really don't want to undo all the work I have done recently. Any tipe would be greatly appreciated! :happy:
    Tips!! lol
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    I just looked at it as a cheat day and got completely ruined! You can stick to the spirit and diet mixers, stop eating when full and just be selective at the buffet?
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Work out hard during the week and also eat under by 100-200 everyday, so that when the wedding comes you have 500-1000 calories extra to work with. If you can, maybe go for a run the morning of the wedding? Also, make sure you eat veggies and protein first, stay away from extra sauces, and thing you know have a high calorie count. Drink light, or try to consciously drink slower than you want to. Most importantly make sure you have fun, try to log everything and don't sweat it too much if you go over.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just looked at it as a cheat day and got completely ruined! You can stick to the spirit and diet mixers, stop eating when full and just be selective at the buffet?

This.
    Enjoy the wedding - stay away from sugar and fat (ok a teeny piece of wedding cake) and fill up on proteins, all the veggies you can get your hands on and hoover up all the salad on the buffet.
    Spirits and low sugar mixers are good to drink with the exception of one glass of fizz.
    Enjoy yourself!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    protein is your friend to stay fuller longer. I'd go for chicken options so forth, skip the desserts or just have a fruit based option. Spirits with diet mixers work out to approx 45-55 cals. Champagne is around 100 cals for the toast. White wine less cals than red. Enjoy & have a great time.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Try to make decent decisions, but overall enjoy yourself and get back to it when you get home.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'd do some extra exercise before the weekend, and just do your best without worrying about it too much. After all, it is a day to remember. :)

I just had a "real" drinking birthday, and I don't regret it at all, the damage wasn't too bad - I think weight loss is more about daily habits than a few scattered events. Though as far as habits for these types of events, I guess a few things I might try would be: fill up on protein and ignore the carbs you can ignore, wait to drink until after the rituals and dancing starts, when you really want to drink, so that your body digests the protein as protein. If you don't care about the cake so much, skip it or split a piece. And then I guess the more you socialize, the less time you'll have to eat and the more memories you'll make. :):)
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above tips, plus, if there is dancing, then dance, dance, dance because it will burn lots of calories and it won't feel like exercise.
  • epfenick
    epfenick Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above tips, plus, if there is dancing, then dance, dance, dance because it will burn lots of calories and it won't feel like exercise.

I agree 100% with this!! Burn some calories having FUN!!
  • smb1186
    smb1186 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have had to go to nine weddings this year and I plan ahead for every one! First, the week of I'm am extra good with my diet and eat clean. Next I work out everyday that week, as depending on the distance of the wedding I lose possibly Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (usually tired) to work out. For alcoholic beverages I stick to vodka sodas with lime, it is super low cal and also light so I don't feel bloated. Next beyond the vodka sodas I only drink water the entire weekend, no drinking calories it's a waste when there's wedding cake! Last I try to only eat what really looks delicious at the buffet, cocktail hour etc. For example, I will skip the roll and butter if it's just a boring old roll, but if it's a delicious freshly baked roll I totally eat it. I also fill up on whatever veggie and protein they serve and am mindful of the fillers, pasta, etc. I have one piece of cake every time because it's delicious! And then I dance the night away! I always wake up sore the next day from dancing in heels for hours :) This absolutely requires self control, but I always feel great at the end of the weekend and just focus on portion control. I have never gained a pound from a wedding weekend yet this year :)
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I feel you. I was a Matron of Honor this June. Luckily, they served small slices of cake or I would have been in trouble bc that's my weakness. The buffet consisted of fajitas. So, I just stuck to the meat and veggies.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Drink vodka, dance your *kitten* off, and when you look at the buffet imagine all the people that have breathed on the food. It'll be a lot less appetizing. Just kidding - that wouldn't work for me; I eat food off the floor. Have fun - it's one day.
  • sarahigartua
    sarahigartua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For activity: Try to get a walk or run in sometime that day prior to your shower and getting read to get some activity in. Or even an early morning jog/run.
    For food: Load up on veggies and protein choices, stay away from potatoes, corn, breads, sweets, etc.
    Chose your battle: reward yourself with a cheat...cake or 2-3 drinks. Don't do both or you'll really feel the set back of it the next day and week. For your drinks stick with sugar free or diet choices with alcohol, don't do juices, mixed drinks or beer.

You'll be prepared, have a game plan, and not fall of the fit bus!! Have fun!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly just live it up within reason. More than likely you won't stuff yourself at the buffet because you have probably cut back on the quantity of food you eat anyway. Don't concern yourself so much with the number of calories in the food, but the quantity that you eat over the weekend. I find that I actually eat less when I am away because I am too busy to snack so it leaves me a lot more calories to play with for meals. Maybe find out what your maintenance calories are and try not to go over that if you try to log? At least you won't gain anything, but you might not show a loss the week after. Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe consider finding a group of people that want to go for a run the morning before the wedding. You might have fun!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    6 hours of dancing like a lunatic will def help you stay on track...also, sleep with a groomsman...thats cardio.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you freak out about one day, how are you going to handle the rest of your life? Holidays? Birthdays? Family gatherings? Heaven forbid..ANOTHER wedding?????????

Relax, enjoy the day and let weight loss be what it is...a long term goal, not something you can fix in weeks and undo in one day.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Its one weekend just enjoy.
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Aside from sticking to spirits and diet mixers, you could try spacing alcoholic drinks with plain water or diet fizzy juice? If there's a sit down meal you maybe won't have a lot of options but try to eat slowly and avoid the usual culprits like heavy sauces.

At the end of the day, I assume you want to go and have fun as well as remain on board - why not view that weekend as a time when you know you'll be less than perfect (and that's ok), but you'll be back to normal come the Monday?. It is only 2 days - the damage you can do is probably minimal. Try to avoid drinking too much if you can - alcohol lowers your inhibitions in more ways than one (I'm not talking about lusting after nice waiters here!). Enjoy yourself, and - as boring as this sounds - try to take an 'everything in moderation' approach, and don't beat yourself up if you maybe indulge a little.

Also, in the days AFTER the wedding, don't be surprised if you feel a wee bit bloated - and this might skew your scales. If you are drinking a lot of carbonated beverages and richer food than you are used to eating on a daily basis, you might feel puffy. Just drink lots of water and you'll be soon back to normal!

Oh, and I'll be here to kick your bum if you don't come back and get back on it after that weekend :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Don't go. Send me instead. :wink:

Seriously, you already got some good advice. Extra walks, runs, dancing, whatever. For eating, eat slowly. Drink lots of water inbetween other beverages. Try a little of everything, but only one bite at a time. Maybe chew gum or eat mints inbetween to slow it down. Bathroom trip during the main meal so no one notices you only ate half the plate. Same with desert...take a bite, then go to the bathroom. Half the enjoyment in food is the first bite or two anyways, so enjoy slowly. Savor it. Then get it out of tempations way.

Have fun!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Have a nice weekend, brush off the dust come Monday morning and get back into it.