How should I start "heavy lifting?"

Options
I'd like to start heavy lifting to see how it improves my physique. I'm guessing heavy lifting isn't just using the machines at the gym that guide your motions? Do you have any tips for a beginner?

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Watch videos on form or ask a trainer.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would focus on getting the form perfect, then adding heavier weight. Body weight squats, then dumbbell squats, then barbell squats. If you do bicep curls with 5 lb weights now, kick it up to 8, with fewer reps. Then once you can do 3 sets of 8, switch to ten (maybe one set of ten, two sets of 8...you get the idea).

I work with a trainer and have learned a lot; a lot of people like New Rules of Lifting for Women. Good luck! i bet you'll love it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start heavy lifting to see how it improves my physique. I'm guessing heavy lifting isn't just using the machines at the gym that guide your motions? Do you have any tips for a beginner?

As someone who has injured themself a number of times, start with a moderate-light weight, and practice getting your form down first. Check out some books or videos. See how the exercises are supposed to look, and check yoursefl out in the mirror. Once you have the form down, start adding the weight gradually until you are challenged properly.

I have trouble with this. I always want to jump in full bore, and end up with a messed up shoulder or elbow, or something.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I began by reading about and downloading the Stronglifts 5x5 app (it's free!).

I watched Youtube videos to see how the exercises were done, and asked questions of my friend who already lift.

I like this program a LOT for a brand new beginner, which is where I was.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As a number of the people here have pointed to there are a ton of books, videos, magazines, sources of information out there.

If you have never lifted before a Trainer might be a good place to start. You may only need 4 or 5 sessions to help get you started. (They might try to sell you more, but if you are self diciplined you only need to basics.) But they can probably teach you muscles, groups, routines, exercises that work best for you, should you work legs once a week or twice, etc.... A Good Trainer can give you a good foundation. Everyone is a little different and you will find things that you like and things that you do not. The key is as you are getting started, start light, and worry more about the form. Bad form leads to poor results, and worse, injury.

If you like it, after a few months if you are looking for more information look to MuscleandFitness.com and Bodybuilding.com both good resources with Demo videos and articles. And remember not everyone develops the same way.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    - Start relatively light. Lifting heavy as a beginner isn't just about picking up something real heavy at trying to lift it. You start off with something you know you can do with ease, and progress heavier and heavier each time until you're around the 6-8 reps at most. The last couple of reps should be a struggle with good form still.

- Practice good form. Watch youtube videos, research online, get a trainer if you still can't do it correctly. Good form is important so that you don't hurt yourself, and also, when you've perfected it, it will help you're lifts go up.

- Use free weights, not the machines as I'd say around 90% of your work. The machines have their place, but IMO shouldn't be used for the base of the workouts. Get a barbell and do the main compound lifts (squats, bench, deadlifts, rows....)

- Find a good program. Unless you have someone experienced to help you find a good routine, it's likely you'll benefit from a pre-made program. They're out there for free, and they work so may as well make the most of them!

Also...have fun! Lifting is fun :D
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips everyone! I will check out youtube, and see what apps I can find. I will see what help the people at my gym have to offer, Planet Fitness.
  • RCoal
    RCoal Posts: 1
    Options
    Try finding an online version of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, it's a lot to read, but it gives a lot of useful tips on how to perform exercises and how to incorporate them into your work out
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is also the book _New Rules of Lifting for Women_. It has been a good read for me.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Use heavier weights
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try finding an online version of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, it's a lot to read, but it gives a lot of useful tips on how to perform exercises and how to incorporate them into your work out

^ This, even if you choose a different program I suggest you read this book anyway. the program is quite similar to stronglifts 5x5 anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

First of all, you should understand that the term "lifting heavy" is synonymous with strength training programs...these programs are in the 3-5 sets of 1-5 rep ranges, and utilizing compound lifts with free weights...no machines. These are Squat, Dead-Lift, Bench Press, Over Head Press, Power Clean or Pendlay Rows (to sub).

Secondly, the term heavy is relative...what's heavy to you is likely going to be cake for me...what's heavy for me, is most definitely cake for others who are stronger.

Third, you should do an actual program. Two really good beginner programs are Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5. These programs start you off light and you work your way up to "heavy" as you progressively add weight each workout. The idea is that you work on form at first and also develop all of your supportive tissue so that your body progressively adapts to heavier loads.

Machines have their place and are good options for isolation work later on down the road....unnecessary if you're a beginner...you're going to get the most bang for your time and energy buck focusing on the compound lifts right now.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'll use curling as an example:

Personally I am currently working out with 35 pound dumbbells and I am doing 3 sets of 8. Now how did I get there?
    I started out doing 3 sets of 8 reps with 25 pounds.
    I just kept gradually increasing reps and sets over the course of 2 weeks till I could do 5 sets of 15 reps with 25
    Then I went to 3 sets of 8 reps with 30 but I always tried to get in that 4th set or get to that 9th rep.
    Eventually I built up to 5 sets of 15 reps with 30 pounds. Took about 2 weeks again.

I just kept repeating that cycle and now I am trying to get to the point where I can do 5 sets of 15 reps with 45 pounds.

I apply this method to pretty much every workout in the gym.

Other things to consider when starting out:

If you pick up a weight at the start and you are already able to do 8 sets of 20 reps or something like that I would say that the weight is too light for you and you are ready to move past that weight already. There are people who actually focus on high rep low weight workouts for specific sporting events where all that matters is their muscular endurance but unless you take part in juggling competitions I doubt that is going to be your focus.

If you pick up a weight and you can barely finish 3 sets of 4 reps then you might want to consider using a lower weight but not necessarily. I have worked out with people who focus their whole workouts around lifting very heavy weight for a much smaller number of reps. Some people prefer it in fact. They don't really ever do more than 4 reps but they are pushing weight that is much heavier.

I personally don't recommend that for someone that is just starting out because I think for a novice it could have a higher chance of causing an injury. After you get settled in to a routine and you get to know your own body you will know what you are comfortable with. You can then start to tailor your workout around the specific goals that you have in mind.

EDIT: I forgot that you asked about machines as well. I like the way cwolfman13 put it really. Machines are not by definition bad. In fact when it come to isolation they can often times be your best option. I find this is especially try for leg muscles. That said the machine is basically not necessary when you start out because there really isn't a lot of need to isolate right away. You want to get used to stabling a weight yourself at the start and only go over to machines after you have mastered that.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

As others have mentioned, getting a trainer for at least a few sessions is an awesome idea.

I've been working with a trainer for 6 months now. A few months ago I cut down from 2x a week to 1x per week, and I asked him to write out a routine for me to do the other day. Our gym has a file for members to put their workout logs in, and I now have about 5 or 6 different routines in my file.

truthfully, my routine isnt all barbells and dumbbells. One particular routine is about 30% dumbbells, 30% machines, and 30% core work on the mat.

IMO, the fixed motion machines are OK. The cable machines are better--they require you to use secondary muscles to stabilize as you go through the motions. Dumbbells are even better.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's good advice on the machines, thanks!

Cost is a prohibitive factor for me in getting a personal trainer, so I want to see how much I can do without spending any more money than my gym membership. I'm sure it'd be a big help though, so maybe someday.

I'm also a tad intimidated about going over to the "guy" section of the gym and looking like I don't know what I'm doing :P
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Intimidation is a very real factor when it come to getting started in the gym. To be honest I know it is irrational and I still get a little nervous whenever I try something I haven't already mastered.

I will say this. If it is the difference between exercising and not exercising. I would prefer you go ahead and use the machines you are comfortable with rather than do nothing at all. I know I don't bench press or squat enough because I work out alone and I want to have a spotter for safety. So I often times find myself gravitating back to the dumbbell section that I am used to.

If getting on a bench press machine means that you will do something as opposed to nothing then I say do it. You will still get stronger as long as you keep pushing yourself and after you have more power your confidence will increase. Don't let trepidation paralyze you. Some exercise is always better than no exercise.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    That's good advice on the machines, thanks!

Cost is a prohibitive factor for me in getting a personal trainer, so I want to see how much I can do without spending any more money than my gym membership. I'm sure it'd be a big help though, so maybe someday.

I'm also a tad intimidated about going over to the "guy" section of the gym and looking like I don't know what I'm doing :P

I know the feeling...I was doing front raises with 5# dumbbells this morning and some guy was doing bicep curls with 30#...I had done mine with 10# earlier. Honestly, there are a lot of muscle bound guys in the weights area at my gym, but they don't bug me any. Since I've been doing dumbbell work for about 6 months now, I get nods, smiles, and the occasional comment from the guys.