A New Low :(

Options
2»

Replies

• rosnnj
    rosnnj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it is the angle and the dress. Between the pattern and silouhette of the dress is not flattering to your shape, that you can see from the picture that it covers you but you can't really tell what size you are but not nearly a size 16. Solid colors and A-line dresses probably work better...patterns are for diversion!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You are so pretty. I know it sucks to look at a picture that you think is really bad, and that's how I got started too. I swiftly de-tagged myself (it was on facebook of course) and signed up with MFP and never looked back.

Strength training really does wonders. You'll find that you'll shrink so much faster than if you did pure cardio. Cardio is great for your heart though, so I'd throw some in. I enjoy running so I run a few days a week, but I focus my workouts on lifting weights and it's done wonders. Highly recommended! Pick up a book. New Rules of Lifting for Women is excellent, and a lot of people like Stronglifts 5X5. Start learning about what types of workouts you like to do. There's lots of good at-home workouts too. Check out fitnessblender.com. I'm also a huge fan of Jillian Michaels DVDs. She is not kind, but it pays off!

You can do it!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Look at this. You would think I was 200+ pounds and a size 16, no?

Well don't I feel sh!tty now....

Right now, I'm sitting at about 196-ish and a size 12 or 14. Others might think it's awful and horrible and "fat", but I'm okay with it because I'm "FIT". I don't care what the scale says, I don't care how I look in pictures because cameras can be tricked, I don't care what size is on the label of my clothes. I care about how I feel. How strong I am. How far I can bike, swim, run. How much I can lift.

Sorry - don't mean to troll or be a "bully". This statement just struck a chord...
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. :) I too get like this sometimes.. and rather not have my picture taken. But let's have this as a push... let's keep on going, until the day you see yourself again and actually smile at it. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I can recommend a book to you, Bottoms Up by Joyce Vedral. This book helped me get a gorgeous figure in the past, so I am starting it again. It is all strength training and resistance training, however it also doubles as cardio. You can get it pretty cheap because it is an older book, also is out on video. It absolutely does work and it works fast. I used it and went from a size 20 to a size 14 in only 8 weeks. You are young, and that is an advantage in losing weight. Give it a try, you won't be sorry you did. If only I had continued with it, then I would not be where I am today, I seriously regret that I ever quit following her exercise plan because it worked great and quickly to get me in good physical condition.

I like all her books. I'm using fit after 40 right now. :smile:
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Look at this. You would think I was 200+ pounds and a size 16, no?

Well don't I feel sh!tty now....

Right now, I'm sitting at about 196-ish and a size 12 or 14. Others might think it's awful and horrible and "fat", but I'm okay with it because I'm "FIT". I don't care what the scale says, I don't care how I look in pictures because cameras can be tricked, I don't care what size is on the label of my clothes. I care about how I feel. How strong I am. How far I can bike, swim, run. How much I can lift.

Sorry - don't mean to troll or be a "bully". This statement just struck a chord...

Sorry to have struck a chord, but what I meant by it is that A) I photograph looking much larger than I actually am. B) I am frustrated by vanity sizing, because I bet that dress would label as a size 12 or 14 if you go back 10 years in the past.

To me, size 16 and 200 lbs is a bad thing. Sorry. I just feel like that size and weight is not healthy or right for my body. When I look at that picture, I see a girl that looks over stuffed. It doesn't LOOK natural or right. Another woman could be 200 lbs and a size 16, but be significantly taller and of a larger build overall and look pretty darn good. But not me.
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Strength training will not make you bulk up. It'll do the exact opposite.

THIS.

Also, here is a forum I found earlier that I think you will enjoy :) (You look at a picture line up of different sized models, and pick the one that you think you look like. Then enter your stats to see how close you are. Most members reported that they are truly smaller than they thought!) I am 7.5% smaller than I imagined myself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1061178-interesting-webpage-for-the-ladies