Wanting to try out some fitness classes but...

Options
I am a little nervous to go by myself. Next week the local ymca is offering all their fitness classes free. I would really like to try out a couple (specifically cycling and zumba). I have never been to a gym or a fitness class anywhere. I convinced hubby I wanted a bike for my birthday so I have been riding it with the kids for the past 2-3 weeks, almost everyday. This week alone, I have ridden almost 16 miles! So the cycling class seems perfect especially when it starts to get cold. I do not really know of anyone in this area that would go with me but really want to try it out. I just started exercising regularly a couple months ago and am still overweight. I think the biggest fear is that their will be all these fit, skinny people there staring at the overweight girl. Can anyone give me advice as to what to expect? I am pretty sure I am just going to suck it up and go but maybe some advice will help ease the nerves.

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just go to the class. Most classes have all levels of fitness and no one will judge you. On the off chance one person does, they are a jerk, so screw them.

A class is a great way to get fit in a fun environment where you can meet other people with similar goals. Just show up a little early and have the instructor set up the bike for you and have a blast.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In my experience whenever I start or keep going to any class, there are people there at all fitness levels and all of them are more worried about their own looks and workout than they are about you. I never have once thought bad things about any one in the yoga or Pilates classes I take on a regular basis, no matter how new they are, I always think it's awesome.

We all look a little silly when we get use to a new class, and everyone that is at that class was new at one point. Just go and get it done, the stress of the "before" is always worse and bigger than what it really ends up being.

My first cycling class didn't exactly go well. But I hadn't ridden a bike in years. So at least you have some practice.
    I was only able to do 30 mins, could barely stand up on the peddles and couldn't go over 14 resistance, which is very low. I would also ask the teacher to help you adjust your bike, it's more complicated than you might think.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts, just go, do your best and don't worry about what anyone thinks. Every class I go to has people from all fitness levels in them. If it's a spinning class, no one can even tell if you are working harder or easier than them. In Zumba, just go have fun. I was awful at that class the first time I tried it, but I still had fun. Even boot camp classes usually have modifications to all the exercises. Also, I bet there are other people like you that want to try the classes for the first time.
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I was in the same boat about fitness classes. I was terrified, except unlike you, I wanted to go alone so I could fumble along by myself. I was scared of being the unfit kid not knowing what to do in a class full of fit people who all knew what to do. Just go. You will not regret it because you'll get a workout. You won't know until you try. I LOVE BodyPump now. I am so glad that after months of showing up at the gym for the class and then chickening out and going to the treadmill instead, that I finally went. I found a gym where everyone was so nice and helpful. They know you are a beginner. One woman said to me 'I love seeing new people! They always inspire me!' I go to Zumba each week too and I wouldn't know what a rhythm was if it fell on top of me and pinned me beneath it. But I have FUN and get a great workout...all that matters!

I'm a bit hypocritical though because I had such a hard time my first spin class i haven't gone back. I could barely stand up without feeling like I was about to die (not even joking). Everyone was standing up and I had my head down because I was mortified to be pedaling.... sitting down. I'm going to go back next week hopefully!

Just keep telling yourself 'this workout is for ME. not them!.' EVERYONE, no matter how advanced they are, started somewhere. plus, free classes is amazing!
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Most people will be there by themselves AND at the YMCA people are down to earth for the most part and of different weight ranges. This is just my experience from belonging to several different YMCA's across the country.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You should just go! I know exactly how you feel...every time I am about to try a new class I get nervous and am afraid I'm going to look stupid, uncoordinated, lost, etc. but then I just go and it ends up being no big deal at all. Just happened to me yesterday actually! I was nervous to try my first BodyCombat class, but I went and it was awesome!

Honestly, nobody cares how you look or what you're doing. Everyone was new at one point. :smile:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    To me the Y seems to have a little more relaxed atmosphere, try not to be afraid. But a gym would be just as good cause you gottta go that first time, just like everyone else. Good luck to you and have fun.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Most people will be there by themselves AND at the YMCA people are down to earth for the most part and of different weight ranges. This is just my experience from belonging to several different YMCA's across the country.

YES! this.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. You are the only person that is going to be nervous thinking that other people are concerned about you and how you look. I guarantee you everyone else is just there to workout and go home. If you're lucky, someone might talk to you, but at my gym people workout and leave. You also probably won't be the only newbie in the class. Once you get the first one over, it's fine. It's just a fear of the unknown.

There's always someone new to classes. Get there early and talk to the instructor for cycling. They will help you set up your bike and put your mind at ease.

I like to consider myself semi in-shape, but if you put me in a yoga class it's 100% hilarity. I am falling all over the place, losing my balance, etc. I just stay in the back so I don't interfere with others. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do it.
    go
    its better when you go alone.
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There will be skinny people, I wont lie to you...

But there will also be fat people, old people, awkward people, fit people... There will be all kinds of people, most of whom are just as self conscious as you.

Go anyway! Have fun, and be sure to smile and talk to people, you'll probably find that 95% of them are super friendly and welcoming. And the other 5% can go about their lives without impacting yours. :-)
  • andreaeose777
    andreaeose777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a great place to start. You are in charge of that bike, you can go at your own pace, even if the instructor is telling you to go faster. It's really up to you on how far you want to push yourself. I find with cycling at least if you go "slower" no one will notice where in a lot of the other classes If I couldn't complete some things then I kind of felt "behind" So I would say cycling is a great place to start. I LOVE CYCLING classes. Just try it out. The instructor will come along and show you how to set up your bike. Every class I've been in, they always ask if this is anyone's first time.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Go! You're only 'by yourself' until you walk in the door. Everyone else will be there for the same reason you are, to get their exercise in. The other attendees won't be thinking about you, they'll be busy thinking about themselves, and how well they're performing the moves.
    You may make a fit friend or two. Remember, you already have at least 1 thing in common with everyone in the room. :)

Eliminate the ""but: and just go. Try something new. Push yourself. Have fun!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a little nervous to go by myself. Next week the local ymca is offering all their fitness classes free. I would really like to try out a couple (specifically cycling and zumba). I have never been to a gym or a fitness class anywhere. I convinced hubby I wanted a bike for my birthday so I have been riding it with the kids for the past 2-3 weeks, almost everyday. This week alone, I have ridden almost 16 miles! So the cycling class seems perfect especially when it starts to get cold. I do not really know of anyone in this area that would go with me but really want to try it out. I just started exercising regularly a couple months ago and am still overweight. I think the biggest fear is that their will be all these fit, skinny people there staring at the overweight girl. Can anyone give me advice as to what to expect? I am pretty sure I am just going to suck it up and go but maybe some advice will help ease the nerves.

Totally go to cycle class! First time out, it will seem pretty challenging, but it's much easier the second time, and so on. The instructor will usually say this, but just in case she or he doesn't: don't kill yourself ... back off for a little while if you need to. I think everybody, instructor and fellow cyclists alike, are tickled to death to see new faces. Go for it!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Stepping out of your comfort zone might just be one of the best things you can do for yourself. You'll never know if you don't do it :)
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I am glad you all mentioned setting up the bike (never thought about that). The flyer says to go 30 minutes early to get a spot so I will be early. Like I said, I am pretty sure I am going but these responses are definitely encouraging.
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Go the class. You never know, you may meet someone there who's just like you and needs a buddy. You could have a new fitness friend and you guys could motivate each other.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I totally relate, I'm still scared to go to a class, but I think the other people are right. Also it would be a great way to meet other people who are also looking to get fit. You'll do great! :smile:
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I joined the YMCA a few months ago and love their classes. I have tried almost all of them now. I really like the Group Power class. I highly recommend it if you are looking for one to try. Kettlebells classes are fun as well and you go at your own pace. There are different shapes and sizes in all the classes and you just do what you can. If I was in your area I would go with you!

Good luck and cant wait to hear all about it!

Meg
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I like to consider myself semi in-shape, but if you put me in a yoga class it's 100% hilarity. I am falling all over the place, losing my balance, etc. I just stay in the back so I don't interfere with others. :)

This is so me, I am so uncoordinated when it comes to yoga that I make myself laugh. I am either annoying the others in class or making them laugh, not sure which :)