bump! need that mango chicken recipe!
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i am like you and not a fab cook, and very impatient. i find the easiest way for me to cook and stay in my diet is to do chicken marinades! i let them sit in my fridge either in the morning or over night if i get them defrosted in time. then bake them in time for dinner! the hardest part is figuring out which marinade to use. :wink: i love baking chicken breasts, because i can just throw them in a glass baking dish with aluminum foil, and it makes cleaning up so easy (which i also hate!).

if you google chicken marinades you can find or mix up anything! it's so easy. even when i am running low of stuff in my pantry, i can usually figure out something to use that will work for dinner.

one of my go to's is (3/4 c) balsamic vinegar & (1/2 c) water with lots of herbs (parsley, oregano) paprika, chili powder, garlic, onion flakes. and bake in the oven at 400 for about 35 minutes.

another great one is a dijon mustard + honey marinade (here is the link: http://rachelschultz.com/2012/07/11/worlds-best-chicken/ - i swapped the maple syrup for honey and sherry wine for red wine vinegar and parsley for rosemary ;)). sooo yummy!! and again you just bake at 400 35 minutes. then when i have about 15 minutes left i start to prep whatever veggies i want and usually steam them if i have fresh veggies, or will stovetop cook them if i have frozen veggies.

today i used a prepackaged marinade sauce and everything came out to 384 calories for dinner and i was stuffed!! had some strawberries for dessert and called it a day :)
    hope that helps! i know how tedious cooking can be!
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump! need that mango chicken recipe!

Me too. I just emailed it to myself at work to share with a co-worker. Yumm!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Is there some way to make my Recipe Box viewable to others? I have about 40 recipes that I've created in there that are 400 calories or less per serving.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    there are a million websites that have recipes for meals under 400-500 calories. however, i want to know your simple and easy meals under 400-500 cal. recipes.

i'm a lousy cook and have the patience of a child. :)
    :laugh: Love this!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Spinach artichoke dip pasta – serves 6
    3 cups rotini pasta, cooked and drained
    1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 cup milk – almond, coconut, regular etc
    1 tbsp flour
    3 oz cream cheese
    ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (can use the kind from the canister)
    ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    4 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    2 tbsp mayo or 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt

Cook pasta according to package and drain. While pasta is cooking, in a large pan melt butter and stir in flour until it becomes lumpy. In the same pan stir in milk, continue to stir 4-5 mins or until it becomes thicker. Add in cream cheese, grated parmesan cheese, spinach, artichoke hearts and garlic, toss in pasta until coated. Transfer into a baking pan, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and bake 15-20 mins until cheese is melted.

Per 6 servings – 293 calories. 4 servings – 440 calories

Stuffed zucchini – serves 1
    1 whole zucchini, cut in half long ways, with insides gutted out (save these)
    ½ cup meatless grounds, or ground turkey, beef etc
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1/8 cup marinara sauce
    ¼ cup shredded mozzarella

After zucchini has been halved and gutted, in a skillet sautee the insides of the zucchini with garlic, onion, and meatless grounds. Stuff the zucchini with the mixture, top with sauce and cheese and bake 15-20 minutes

209 calories

Eggplant curry – serves 4
    1 eggplant, diced
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    ½ cup coconut milk
    1 tsp minced garlic
    ½ tsp chilli powder
    ½ tsp cayenne powder
    ½ tsp ground cumin
    ½ tsp ground mustard
    2/3 cup pearl onions, thawed
    1 bell pepper, diced

In a large pan, cook the eggplant until soft. Add tomato paste, spices, onion, and pepper, cook a few more minutes stirring to avoid anything sticking. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a light boil, the milk should coat the eggplant. Serve over rice, couscous, quinoa, etc.

74 calories (not including rice, couscous, quinoa, etc)

Quinoa spinach patties (from skinnytaste.com) – serves 7 (makes 14 patties)
    Per 2 patties, 236 calories

Shirataki noodle stir fry – serves 2
    1 package shirataki noodles, drained and rinsed
    2 cups frozen stir fry veggies (broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts, mushrooms, etc)
    2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
    3 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    Soy sauce, sweet n sour sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc
    If desired, add in protein such as chicken or tofu

Dry cook noodles in a skillet, add in vegetables and cook. Add in sauce of choice, if desired add in a protein as well

135 cals with 1tbsp teriyaki sauce

Taco salad – serves 3
    1 cup meatless grounds, or ground beef or turkey
    4 tbsp taco seasoning, or season to taste
    4 tbsp salsa
    2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
    2 oz plain greek yogurt or sour cream
    12 romaine heart leaves
    85 grams frozen pepper onion mix

In large skillet, cook meatless grounds or meat. Add a little water and add taco seasoning, stir in peppers and onion, and any other veggies you may want to add. Serve over lettuce and top with salsa and greek yogurt or sour cream

192 calories

Sushi bowls – serves 2
    1 ½ cups rice cooked
    10 slices cucumber, halved
    ½ cup steamed asparagus
    ½ cup edamame
    3 oz baby carrots, steamed
    ½ sushi nori sheet
    1 tbsp soy sauce

Cook rice, add in ingredients, crumble nori sheets.

266 calories

Vegan slow cooker soup – serves 8-10
    ½ head cabbage, chopped
    Anywhere between 3-9 oz baby carrots
    3 red potatos, cut up into bite sized pieces
    ½ block tofu, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    5 cups vegetable stock or broth
    1 container diced tomatoes in juice
    3-5 oz sliced mushrooms

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours

Per 10 servings – 99 calories
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One of my recent favorites, low calorie, low carbs, high protein. Cut up chicken breast in bite size pieces, in a bowl mix will a little bit of olive oil (I use 1 TBS oil for 2 chicken breasts), salt, lemon pepper seasoning (if you have it, if not regular black pepper), garlic powder, and cumin. Heat a non-stick pan, fry the chicken until golden, mixing (no need to add any more oil than what was in the chicken). May add a sprinkle of lemon juice and some cilantro about 1 minute before done. Serve with boiled been string beans and a simple sauce made of plain greek yogurt with 1 - 3 tsp of hot taco sauce.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Is there some way to make my Recipe Box viewable to others? I have about 40 recipes that I've created in there that are 400 calories or less per serving.

best thing would prolly be to take a screen shot of the recipes and load them on this thread, time consuming. there is also an option in the recipe box to share them where you type in the cooking directions with it
  • mandiehibbard
    Options
    Tonight's dinner consisted of tilapia, sliced potatoes (canned) and sauteed green beans and carrots. Delicious and filling!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Chicken "Chili"

2 Chicken Breasts
    1 c. Salsa
    1 pkt. Taco Seasoning
    1 can Fat Free Cream of Mushroom
    1 can Black Beans
    1 can Ranch Beans
    1/2 c. Water

Put it all in a slow crooker; cook on low all day (6 - 8 hours). Shred chicken (it will fall apart). Viola! You can eat plain in a bowl, with tortillas, in a pita, on polenta, over rice...possibilities are endless. Less than 200 calories per serving!
  • officialtripler
    Options
    Do you watch the cooking shows like food network? The easiest way to eat low cal meals is to learn how to cook...simple cooking that is. I steam a lot of vegies. Even when i stir fry it's low fat. A little cheese on top of vegies doesn't add many calories, and siracha adds even less. Start with the majority of your plate as vegies and add on from there. For example 1.5 oz of wheat pasta mixed with 2 cups of vegies is still a lot of pasta and will fill you up. Soup (in general) is low cal and filling. Even better if you make your own. Soba noodles (2oz or less) are great with asian vegies, hot sauce and sesame oil. Try it with bok choy, celery, pea pods and onions, etc. even a small piece of protein (4oz or less) will be filling if you have a ton of vegies on your plate. I really think that's key.

Almost all meals I serve at home are around 400-500 calories. They always have at least two courses. I start with either salad or vegetable based soup. Salad always has home mixed dressing (olive oil, balsamic, and garlic or shallots as base then add in what I feel like...dijon mustard, honey, yogurt, whatever). The first course slows you down and always fills you up with vegies. Second course always has more vegies and usually a little protein of either fish or dairy. Sometimes bread or noodles. Again, key is always filling up with mostly vegies and however they taste good for you. For me it's either cheese on top (a little goes a long way) or hot sauce.

If I add a third course of desert, it's more calories of course. But sometimes you need to. :-). Even then, you can limit desert to fresh fruit maybe with a little balsamic.

^this
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    One more tip, half of cooking (simple dishes anyways) is the prep work. In order to break up the monotony, I do a little prep work in the morning and a little in the evening. Also, I take my ipad in the kitchen and play pandora. Listening to music while chopping vegies makes it more fun.

This is a great tip! I usually spend about 3 hours prepping veggies and fruits for the upcoming week after I've gone grocery shopping, and playing music makes the time fly!
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I will note that if you get the egg-beaters stuff Costco sells, it is (a) high in protein, so you feel full; and (b) good and (c) low-cal.

A cup and a quarter of that, scrambled, makes a LOT of scrambled eggs and is only 150 calories. You could add cheese to that, or low-cal salsa, and have a very satisfying, fast, easy meal.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Use quorn!

Last night my hubby cooked for me, I had a chicken style quorn fillet, with a tomato sauce on it (with onion, mushrooms, garlic in it) It was 187 cals!

You could have two fillets, or add some rice or something and still be well under 400 :smile:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Bump!