People with anxiety disorders?

Options

Replies

• rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin actually exacerbated my anxiety tremendously (and I was on it for years and didn't realize that was the problem). I couldn't make telephone calls while on it and had horrible shaking problems. Second I stopped, I felt so much better. I think the last one I tried was Zoloft and it also hindered libido. If I was to ever go back on an anti-depressant I think they'd move on to pristiq.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Quiet time, meditation, and yoga help me. I'm a very anxious, skittish person but I lose weight due to it from hyper-vigilance, lack of sleep, nausea, etc. Of course, my issues (supposedly PTSD and agoraphobia) make me more inclined to stay inside which can result in less exercise.

I agree with the other poster that stress and anxiety are different. They can appear together but they are two totally different things. Besides meditation, I also like listening to upbeat music, dancing, sleeping, and being productive.

Other good techniques are planning (realistically) ways to tackle obstacles, making to-do lists, dividing up chores over days, and taking everything one bit at a time. These things may not help everyone though. The more I know about and plan around what stresses me, the better I feel about it because I feel like I could be in control of it. Other people just become more stressed the more they think about what needs doing. You'll have to find your own methods.

In the case of anxiety, the most important thing for me is finding what bothers me and then either fixing it or avoiding it until it can be fixed. Little things make all the difference - like I changed my alarm clock from a typical alarm clock sound to crickets chirping; I still wake up, but I'm not jolted awake by what sounds like a fire alarm in my sleeping brain. That little change has made my mornings so much gentler.

As a last resort to dealing with anxiety, I remove myself from the offending situation. I personally don't take meds because there aren't really any that aren't addictive and I have made great progress without them.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've always suffered with anxiety, anxiety attacks, and migraines. I have a prescription for Xanax that works pretty well. Just to clarify, I don't suffer from depression...just anxious and stressed out a lot. lol I will say that working out consistently has helped me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo so much as far as anxiety goes. I don't even take my xanax everyday anymore, just occasionally when I feel really overwhelmed.

ETA: I agree with the above poster.....yoga helped me a lot as well!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Exercise massively reduces the amount of anxiety I deal with (especially what I call "random anxiety", which just comes out of nowhere, as opposed to "disproportionate anxiety", which is something that might make anyone anxious but that anxiety disorders take to a whole new level of anxiety). Mindfulness techniques help while I'm feeling anxious, especially tactile sensations, and my preferred exercise (weightlifting) definitely fits that category. Any exercise usually helps, though, up to and including just jumping up and down a bunch.

I am also on a medication which has a secondary effect of reducing anxiety, but I was at my current dosage before I started exercising, and while meds brought me to "functional", exercise brought me up to a point where GAD rarely impacts my day-to-day life. My family has noticed too, and will tell me to go to the gym if I seem overly anxious.

Finally, I have an at-need antipanic medication, which I haven't taken for well over a year now. I feel just knowing I have a safety net helps keep my anxiety from escalating to that level.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on meds to control my anxiety as nothing else was working (guess who can now leave the house? this gal!)

Anxiety actually caused me to lose weight due to vomiting and nausea, but the meds have removed that almost completely. I would say if anxiety is having a large impact on your day to day life, medication may be the way to go. I tried therapy, yoga, etc, but nothing worked until I got onto the right medication.

This and talking to a therapist who specializes in DBT! Good luck! :)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Anxiety can be crippling, I used to work with people who suffered from various different mental health problems, and it was sad to see them end up dosed on anti psychotic/anti depressive medications.

I kind of discovered that food itself is medicine, it's just a case of doing some research, find out what the body REALLY needs.
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Running. I'm not talking about the intense HIIT pounding it out kind of running though - more like a slow jog, preferably outside, with some good, relaxing music (: Also therapy helped me out a ton too. All I can say is if you are considering medication, please be careful with benzos. If you are prone to addiction (I have a very addictive personality), withdrawal can be...terrible
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I used to have panic attacks and lots of general anxiety every day but now that I work out and eat right it's all gone except once in a while I get a little anxiety but just the normal amount everyone does. I also do things to relax, one of my big relaxers is drawing a warm bath (not to hot that can raise your BP) put some epsom salt in there, throw on some relaxing music, use dim lights or one candle, sit in there for a little while and just relax, this is also really good for headaches.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Anxiety can be crippling, I used to work with people who suffered from various different mental health problems, and it was sad to see them end up dosed on anti psychotic/anti depressive medications.

I kind of discovered that food itself is medicine, it's just a case of doing some research, find out what the body REALLY needs.

Dude, anti-psychotics are awesome!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time sufferer of general anxiety disorder, depression and OCD and I think I've been on all the meds for it over the years. They made my weight fluctuate big time. Worst of all, the last couple I was on made me so lethargic during the day and made me sleep 10-11 hours a night. FINALLY about a month ago, I kicked all the meds but Wellbutrin (it has 0 side effects, so I'm keeping it). I've been coping really well being off the meds and I think it's thanks to harder training. I set some goals and I'm working really hard on achieving them. I get myself so tired that there is just no energy leftover for anxiety and stress. Loving life right now. Also, don't tell my shrink because I did it without his permission ;)
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Am I the odd one out? Working out at too high of an intensity gives me anxiety. I can't think about "working out" or I get major anxiety. I just walk a lot and play sports. I don't think about exercising while doing them.

No, this is common. The increased heart rate can trigger anxiety.
  • melindafritz
    Options
    I have generalized anxiety disorder and borderline personality disorder
    1. hot baths
    2. walking
    3. music
    4. movies
    5. candles
    6. sex
    7. shopping

everyone is different
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Am I the odd one out? Working out at too high of an intensity gives me anxiety. I can't think about "working out" or I get major anxiety. I just walk a lot and play sports. I don't think about exercising while doing them.

No, you're not the only one. Increased heart rate, sweating, etc. are similar to a panic attack to me. I had a good one while out walking and didn't walk again for a long time. I didn't want to have another attack away from home. Eventually I started with 10 minutes and worked my way back up. I am pretty good at differentiating now. It just took slow exposure. Very slow.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. I feel lame that I can't work out "knowingly" as long and as much as many people can. I do what I can, and I have been tightening up my diet to help.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't have anxiety, but my husband and daughter do. My daughter also has OCD. No meds in this house. Their therapist is of the school of facing the anxiety and going through it, no matter how terrifying. It's difficult, but doable.

Stopping avoidance is the hardest for both of them.

My husband works out religiously, it's the only way he can handle it. My daughter, (she's 16), is a convert. Started working out regulary 16 months ago and she's lost 40 lbs. She swears by exercise as well.

The endorphins must be helping.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    Exercise massively reduces the amount of anxiety I deal with (especially what I call "random anxiety", which just comes out of nowhere, as opposed to "disproportionate anxiety", which is something that might make anyone anxious but that anxiety disorders take to a whole new level of anxiety). Mindfulness techniques help while I'm feeling anxious, especially tactile sensations, and my preferred exercise (weightlifting) definitely fits that category. Any exercise usually helps, though, up to and including just jumping up and down a bunch.

I am also on a medication which has a secondary effect of reducing anxiety, but I was at my current dosage before I started exercising, and while meds brought me to "functional", exercise brought me up to a point where GAD rarely impacts my day-to-day life. My family has noticed too, and will tell me to go to the gym if I seem overly anxious.

Finally, I have an at-need antipanic medication, which I haven't taken for well over a year now. I feel just knowing I have a safety net helps keep my anxiety from escalating to that level.

Yes it reduces it so much, lol I wish my family would tell me to go to the gym, probably think I work out to much as it is.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and OCD. Been on Zoloft for years. I think it definitely didn't do me any favors as I put on weight, but wouldn't say it caused it. My own laziness and poor diet choices did that. At least in my case, it didn't inhibit my weight loss, as I'm down ~45-50 while still on the same dose of meds.

I've found that running has helped with anxiety significantly. And my obsessive tendencies has probably helped me stick with it as much as I have
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You really need to talk to a doctor about this. But like someone else said stress is not an anxiety disorder. Only a doctor can truly diagnosis you. But for me I have depression, anxiety problems, and ADHD. Mentally I am not too healthy unless I take my meds. Which work for me. I don't take a daily med for my anxiety it is an as needed bases. Also what works for me is not letting is get to the extreme deal with it before hand/
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Medication is NOT for anyone.

I had GAD and panic disorder, but I feel that I am cured of panic disorder and only occasionally get bouts of GAD, which are much more mild now than it used to be.

I find the CBT (cognitive-behaviourial therapy) was the best treatment for me. Without the therapy, you don't learn how to actually understand and control your anxiety.

Meditation and acupuncture have been very helpful as well. An acupuncture session does about the same to me as a Xanax (but not as accessible). When I feel like I can't concentrate on something or I feel "stuck", I go for a jog, or I do a dance workout. Feeling in tune with my body and being active melts the stress away!!!

Medication has it's place. Personally, I tried 3 types of SSRIs and they didn't work for me, they gave me panic attacks and shakes, I felt like I needed to crawl out of my own body to get away from myself, it was insane. Benzodiazepamines work better for me to get over those moments when I need something to just take the edge off so I can gather myself and control my anxiety. I say I take a total of ten pills per year. What I've learned from CBT takes care of the rest. Medication is a last resort. If you don't do the therapy, you'll never truly progress, you'll be dependent forever. Even if you read a CBT workbook instead of face-to-face therapy, it'll only cost you a few dollars, and it could change your life.

Ditto. CBT can help you learn how to change your pattern of thinking. Negative thought patterns lead to negative feelings and anxiety. At the very least buy a book called Feeling Good by Dr. David D. Burns. It's so helpful if you are willing to do the work. Why not learn how to change or eliminate the thinking rather than masking it with meds?
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you want to avoid medication as much as possible. I went to therapy for a long time to learn how to overcome my anxiety and depression. Still get episodes from time to time, but I deal much better. Therapy is awesome and exercise, like everyone else said is fantastic for reducing stress. So are other hobbies you enjoy. Video games are my go-to.

I would recommend to see a doctor, or if you can see a therapist or counselor. They can properly diagnose you and give you advice that doesn't necessarily involve medication to learn how to overcome. =)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    1. I forgot to talk about baths! As others mentioned, they are a two-in-one: put on some good spa music (itunes radio!) light up some candles, fill the tub with warm water, epsom salts (lavender scent?) and baby oil... reduces anxiety, stress, AND helps you recover from a work out! It's a three-in-one, actually!

2. As others mentioned, benzos (benzodiazepamines, aka xanax, klonopin, etc) are short-term only medication. your body builds tolerance to them, you need higher and higher doses to get the same effect. your body can also build dependence on them, making it very difficult to stop taking them. this is why they are short-term, emergency situation only, pills.

3. during the "height" of my anxiety disorder I also avoided exercise because I focused on my heart beat (I have an arrhythmia, but its not dangerous!) and breathing (I tend to chronically hyperventilate and get dizzy). I still get episodes where I'll suddenly get a chest pain are want to quit my workout, but then I remind myself "ok, you feel this random pain all the time, nothing has EVER happened to you, obviously its NOT dangerous", and sure enough it goes away and I realize "yep, it was nothing!". One way of getting over anxiety is "exposure therapy". we're afraid of the unknown, or have a bad experience once, and our brain just associates something harmless with a life-threatening situation. exposure helps re-wire your brain to understand this is an over-reaction, it is NOT life or death, no reason to set off the panic alarm. exposure therapy can sometimes be part of CBT.