Not losing even a gm :(

Options
Hi All.. I have been working out almost 5-6 days per week. I generally do Lower body, circuit training n upper body in the morning (90mins). Also I do cardio in the evenings (2-3 times a week, depending on my work) for 40-50mins which includes- treadmill - walking/jogging, spin bike or elliptical. From last 1 month I have not even lost 1 gm, but put on like 200-300gms (I chose not to consider this as weight gain also). I eat within my calorie limits. Also I got my thyroid tested and it is fine (I have hypothyroidism). Surprisingly, I am losing on inches but nothing on scale :(. My diary is open, could you please help me understand what I need to change to make the scale move?

Replies

• aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches you're doing good! The scale is lousy. I have a scale addiction too but you have to realize its not the best measurement. I weigh more than I did in high school but I wear a smaller size. go figure
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you're overestimating exercise calories. For example, in your diary, it says that you earned almost 1200 calories from exercise today. It takes an insane amount of exercise to burn 1200 calories. You might want to consider trying the TDEE method instead of the default MFP method.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    An extremely high percentage of people (all people) underestimate how much they eat and considering your consuming 1600 to 1800 a day and the fact that your recomping with losing fat and building some muscle I would take advantage of that situation and do nothing. If you up the duration and intensity you should see some weight movement, but I would suggest using the mirror from this point forward and taking body measurements.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you have your thyroid tested and its in normal range but you have Hypothyroidism you are not going to lose weight as quickly as others ...it will take sometimes triple the amount of work effort and time....even when levels are normal. I also am Hypo. I also agree that your probably over estimating your workouts . How are you calculating your workout burns at sometimes more than 1000?
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you're overestimating exercise calories. For example, in your diary, it says that you earned almost 1200 calories from exercise today. It takes an insane amount of exercise to burn 1200 calories. You might want to consider trying the TDEE method instead of the default MFP method.

Thanks for advising. Could you elaborate plz?
  • AZDewd223
    AZDewd223 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you're losing inches you're doing good! The scale is lousy. I have a scale addiction too but you have to realize its not the best measurement. I weigh more than I did in high school but I wear a smaller size. go figure

This is a really good point. I have gotten frustrated recently because I am not losing the weight I would like, but I have lost another inch on my waist and thighs, so I am settling for the "thinner" rather than the "lighter" goal...

BTW, you are a workout ANIMAL, and very encouraging to me, if that means anything... :0)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

^ check out this TDEE guide. Makes things a lot easier and you're not having to try and accurately calculate workout calories every day.
  • nenyablue
    nenyablue Posts: 11
    Options
    Here's my two cents - Losing inches means you're losing fat. Period. That is awesome! You don't need to tweak anything - you're getting smaller already.

Here's a thought experiment: would you be willing to be two sizes smaller... if it meant weighing 20 pounds more? No one but you would know. Would you be willing to do it?

Is your goal to have the number be smaller, or is your goal to wear a smaller dress/pants size?

Also, how long have you been following your current exercise routine? Is it possible your body has adapted to it? I change my routines every month - one month might be more calisthenic-style/"metabolic training", the next traditional weight lifting and sprints, the next lots of steady-state cardio with pilates/yoga to give my muscles something to do.

Since you asked for food feedback...

When I am trying to make the scale move, I personally don't eat ANY carbs after my lunch meal. Not fruit, not bread, not rice, not awesome naan and roti like you seem to have access to. Yes with lunch, no for afternoon tea, dinner, etc. I focus on making those last meals of the day very clean - just green vegetables and lean protein. No reason you can't have a yummy sauce for your protein - but I would make it with spices and chicken broth, with a minimum of dairy. This works for me very reliably.

Good luck!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

A little background:

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

My fitness pal creates your calorie goal based only on your BMR + NEAT. You then have to input EAT and then eat back those calories. With the TDEE method, you factor in your weekly exercise into the equation, and you get your total calorie expenditure per day.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Hi All.. I have been working out almost 5-6 days per week. I generally do Lower body, circuit training n upper body in the morning (90mins). Also I do cardio in the evenings (2-3 times a week, depending on my work) for 40-50mins which includes- treadmill - walking/jogging, spin bike or elliptical. From last 1 month I have not even lost 1 gm, but put on like 200-300gms (I chose not to consider this as weight gain also). I eat within my calorie limits. Also I got my thyroid tested and it is fine (I have hypothyroidism). Surprisingly, I am losing on inches but nothing on scale :(. My diary is open, could you please help me understand what I need to change to make the scale move?

Losing inches = losing weight. Therefore you are succeeding. Try something brave and ditch your scale. Maybe weigh-in at the gym once every three months or so. The scale is terribly unreliable at the best of times. You are probably expanding your glycogen stores from the increased exercise, and you probably are repairing damaged muscle. All that leads to increased water retention.

Just to nit-pick a few things. One, your exercise regime sounds incredibly sedate to be burning 1000+ cals per day. How are you working out those numbers??? I'm an ex-athlete, and burning an 1000 cals involves serious effort! Also, I rarely trust the numbers on the elliptical/spin bike machines - there is a HUGE difference in effort between a 5 mile run and 60 min on the elliptical, yet the calorie burns are recorded as exactly the same according to the machines.

If you are eating back calories (as I do) it pays to underestimate them by a certain amount (I usually ditch about 20%) until you get a better feel for what is closer to accurate for you.

Finally don't log everyday activities as part of your calorie burns. If you have an active job or do loads of housework and put on weight doing those there is no point in logging them separately.

Either way it sounds like you are winning so please don't be discouraged.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

A little background:

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

My fitness pal creates your calorie goal based only on your BMR + NEAT. You then have to input EAT and then eat back those calories. With the TDEE method, you factor in your weekly exercise into the equation, and you get your total calorie expenditure per day.

This really helps.. Thanks a lot :)