canceled lap band relying on MFP

Options
attybell
attybell Posts: 81 Member
I was scheduled to have lap band this coming Friday but after finding MFP over the weekend I have made the decision to cancel the surgery. And give this a try, With that being said I am going to need lots of help because if I could do it on my own I would not be this big .. Praying I made the right decision, its just that I see so many successful stories on here that it makes me excited and makes me feel I can do it to, you guys are great!!

Replies

• renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sent request. :-)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, welcome :D Weight loss may take longer this way, but you'll learn a lot of good habits along the way!
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp....it works....i am sending you a friend request.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your going to do great!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Welcome lots of friendly, helpful people here, (ignore the trolls!) Sending a friend request. We all need all the support we can get.

Since you have to modify your eating and increase your exercise anyway, might as well just do it this way :-)
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to try loosing weight without surgery. I had gastric bypass Sept. '12 as most of my weight gain was due to medication and eating right and exercising was doing little to get it off.

If for some reason you do decide on surgery, maybe consider rny. It has a much higher success rate than the lapband. I had two cousins go that route and two others stay with the band. The banded ones lost much less and have pretty much gained it all back.

Just my two cents but good luck with whatever route you go. ~
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    Oh my goodness best of luck to you! You CAN do it.

Keep things real simple is my advice - all you gotta remember is to burn more energy than you eat (at least most of the time) and you WILL lose weight. Doesn't have to be fast weight loss - small deficits are still gonna get you there.

There is so much misinformation floating around about diets and weightloss and I thing we over-complicate things and make it way too hard for ourselves. No matter what the regime it all comes down to energy in vs energy out. You don't have to live on carrots and lettuce - you can eat anything you want as long as you keep maintaining an energy deficit over the long term. If you have a day where you go over your calorie allowance, don't beat yourself up or stress over it - this is a lifelong thing we're doing here - just try and make sure you're under for the next few days / weeks.

I wish you all the best and completely believe you can succeed.
  • itsnowornevercici
    itsnowornevercici Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the first couple of weeks is a real test to see whether you can do this. then the first month becomes the second.

i have no doubt your committed to do this and i can tell you i've been on here about 140 days nearly and it gets a lot easier! with the right balance of food and exercise you can do anything!

send you a request now xx
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

Yes YOU can do it. Just take it one day, one pound at a time. Log in daily & write what you bite, it keeps you accountable. It's not easy and you didn't put all the weight on overnite, so it's not going to come off overnite.....but if you're honest & true to yourself, this site will help you lose the weight.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Best of luck!

Remember measure your food so you don't underestimate calories.

Don't starve yourself. Pick a calorie deficit that suits you.

Set yourself short term goals.

Also I found that starting slow was less overwhelming, ie.

first week log everything
    2nd week log everything and keep it under your set calorie intake
    3d week all the above and exercise twice

I'll send you a request :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad you decided to give this a try and also friended me :D One day at a time, sometimes one hour or one minute at a time! If you look too far ahead, it can be daunting. Small losses add up to big ones, and before you know it, 20 or 30 lbs will be gone!

Looking forward to seeing your success!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my niece had to have hers removed because of an obstruction and uses this site now and is doing WONDERFUL. YOU CAN DO THIS--just remember this is NOT a diet--it is a lifestyle change!!
  • lady_tracy
    lady_tracy Posts: 15
    Options
    I've lost 97 lbs since February 20th - YOU CAN DO THIS!! Gonna send a request your way, so I can cheer you along in your journey! We've all got your back! :bigsmile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Best of luck!

Remember measure your food so you don't underestimate calories.

Don't starve yourself. Pick a calorie deficit that suits you.

Set yourself short term goals.

Also I found that starting slow was less overwhelming, ie.

first week log everything
    2nd week log everything and keep it under your set calorie intake
    3d week all the above and exercise twice

I'll send you a request :)

The "In Place of a Roadmap" thread is wonderful for setting healthy (and livable) calorie goals o that you'll lose steadily and not starve. Here's the link to the simplified version, which also has a link to he long, original version:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=In+place+of+a+roadmap&page=1#posts-14891590