So Hungry!

Options
I am reaally struggling with feeling hungry almost immediately after eating, not sure why and it's making it hard to stay motivated. Anyone know any tips to stay fuller for longer? thanks :)

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    do you have a beverage with or immediately following your meal? I find that helps me.
  • jasperthecathannah
    Options
    I do - but I'm always drinking diet fizzy drinks, i never really drink anything else :embarassed: I worry about the calories/sugar in everything else, Would drinking water before eating help? thanks x
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    protein keeps you full and gets rid of the craving and unable to get full madness that comes with having lots of carbs. Check your macros, aim for 40% of your intake to be protein, 40 % carbs and 20 fat. It means protein at every meal and some protein snacks. good luck!
  • ames8311
    ames8311 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi!

I find that drinking water before and during your meals helps.
    Maybe try and eat healthy snacks in between

Hope this helps :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Water does help me tremendously. I find that drinking a glass while I prepare supper and another during the meal is really beneficial.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    I think a lot of diets recommend drinking a glass of water about 15 minutes before a meal. It wouldn't hurt to try. Also, you should get into the habit of eating as slowly as possible - putting your cutlery down in between each mouthful and chewing slowly. Finally, try and have something to do after eating to distract you from the thoughts of feeling like you haven't eaten enough. Tell yourself that you must finish the washing up/tidy the kitchen before you really consider whether or not you are still feeling hungry. You need to give plenty of time for your body to digest the food and know that it is satisfied.

My only other suggestion is to do something that physically interferes with eating, such as painting your nails or brushing your teeth.

BTW, it has been scientifically proven that soup is more filling than solid food, so you could always put your meal in the blender with a glass of water - but you might find that a little extreme!!!!!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My Doctor actually told me to drink a glass of water before a meal. It does help. I usually drink a herbal tea like peppermint & nettle after my meal too.
  • scottix111
    scottix111 Posts: 24
    Options
    id go with the water thing and try going with zero or low cal fizzy drinks I go through a lot and keeps me from getting hungry and its weird tactic but when you have eaten put your fork down befor taking another bite or try adding more veg to your meals makes u fuller longer hope it helps
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    fiber from a lot of fruit and vegetables helps!:smile: Protein bars are very satiating too!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am reaally struggling with feeling hungry almost immediately after eating, not sure why and it's making it hard to stay motivated. Anyone know any tips to stay fuller for longer? thanks :)

I used to experience this but it had nothing to do with how much or what I was eating. It took me a while to figure out but I realized that I had a fear of being hungry and often my mind just told me I was hungry (right after eating) and I would end up overeating. Obviously just after you've eaten you can't really be hungry so maybe there's something similar going on with you. About a year ago I juice fasted for 5 days to allow my body to be hungry and to overcome that fear. Once I understood what real hunger felt like for me and also realized that being hungry wasn't a bad thing, I was able to better identify when it was real hunger versus my mind.
  • ShivikaChandra
    Options
    Drinking 3L of water per day will definitely keep you fuller for longer. Also, try incorporating more protein into your diet. My experience tells me that low fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt helps to keep you full and is also low on calories :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Water does nothing for me.

What does work is protein and fat, preferably a combination of the two. Your protein goal is low. Think of it as a bare minimum.

Also you seem to be undershooting your calorie goal a lot. It's a goal because you're meant to reach it, and you'd be surprised what a couple hundred calories can do in terms of keeping you full.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Drink some hot water. Embrace the hunger.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    raw veggies help fill you up more than cooked too! :bigsmile:
  • bartman4
    bartman4 Posts: 24
    Options
    I gave up fizzy drinks entirely (including diet) once I saw reporting on studies showing all sodas (including diet) influencing weight gain. Now I just drink water and coffee with low fat milk during the day.

I'm told that drinking 2 full glasses of water 15 minutes before a meal helps. Haven't done a good job of doing that yet.

Personally, I've just gotten used to being hungry sometimes, especially in the late afternoons before dinner. From what I've read, temporary fasting doesn't hurt anything, so I consider occasional hunger to just be a part of my plan.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: There is a product sold called" PGX-"- I have seen commercials and I've seen this product endorsed by Kathy Smith(Renowned fitness instructor) about a product that keeps your sugar levels balanced and it also helps to control cravings, and to keep you feeling full for up to 14 hrs.( Wallmart,)
    I am going to start it today-write me if you wish and I'll let you know if it works.
    Hang in there it's just your flesh wanting you to fail.
    You are re-setting it-so be patient!:smile:
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I gave up fizzy drinks entirely (including diet) once I saw reporting on studies showing all sodas (including diet) influencing weight gain. Now I just drink water and coffee with low fat milk during the day.

I'm told that drinking 2 full glasses of water 15 minutes before a meal helps. Haven't done a good job of doing that yet.

Personally, I've just gotten used to being hungry sometimes, especially in the late afternoons before dinner. From what I've read, temporary fasting doesn't hurt anything, so I consider occasional hunger to just be a part of my plan.
    This^ I have heard that diet drinks can increase appetite, especially for sweet stuff. I just drink water or seltzer. Black coffee or tea would probably be okay too.
  • jasperthecathannah
    Options
    thankyou so much guys :happy: :heart: