Tabata training anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How so?

Is Tabata not 20 sec on, 10 sec off, repeat 8 times?
  • thebigcb
    Options
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy them, or at least the effect of them. They've done wonders for my running, really kicked up my endurance and my pace.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    How so?

Is Tabata not 20 sec on, 10 sec off, repeat 8 times?

Yes it is. But you are supposed to be shaking, gasping for air, dizzy and nearly vomiting at the end and unable to peform another 4 minutes. Tabata is supposed to last 4 minutes during which you push yourself to your absolute limit. What you did was high intensity interval training.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I think i get it right mate

Thanks all the same
  • Denzel4
    Denzel4 Posts: 6
    Options
    Well its a good training method for everyone. A personal trainer is a best choice to get this training so it is good to hire a personal trainer. Anyway nice to read about this training.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like interval style type workouts. I feel like im dying but I feel like I get a lot out of them also.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here's a good elaboration of how Tabata supposedly affects your body, calorie burn, etc: http://muscleevo.net/tabata-intervals-fat-loss/

I think the upshot is that high intensity interval training of any kind if worth rotating into your exercise regimen, but it's not enough on its own, and probably isn't something you should do at every single workout.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Yeah, I dont do it everyday

Nice to throw it in when I can;t run or am taking a day of lifting weights
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    tabata timer exercising is great for increasing endurance and strength

I did tabata timer workouts on my days off (Tuesday/Thursday) for about 6 months..now I've added an hour of cardio on T/TH so tabata is out..I will still do tabata while on the road traveling when i can't get to a gym for my Mon/Wed/Fri workouts.. :flowerforyou:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I notice the same Praire

Really helped my running pace, especially over the last one or two k
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Tried tabata yesterday - 20 on 10 off 20 on and then almost died...was not able to do more. Am so weak :(
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When i had a pt, he introduced me to tabata aswell. I downloaded the app and use it sometime, just to mix it up. I recommend rope slams/waves 10 seconds on, 8 seconds off.
    Certainly gets your heart pumping
  • alibikini
    alibikini Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with HIIT, however I just found out about this tabata stuff. Managed to find a pretty good youtube channel with various tabata workouts, so I'm going to give that a go before I consider investing in any DVDs. NOT looking forward to those awful burpees :S

youtube channel is POPSUGAR Fitness. A link to one of the workouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axydnGTufOs&list=SP7E70CF0C6EE6813B&index=22
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Yes it is. But you are supposed to be shaking, gasping for air, dizzy and nearly vomiting at the end and unable to peform another 4 minutes. Tabata is supposed to last 4 minutes during which you push yourself to your absolute limit. What you did was high intensity interval training.

^^^This. People confuse Tabata with HIIT. If you're doing Tabata, you're done after 4 minutes.