Help Please.....Not Losing Weight :(

Options
Hello! So, I am a 6'2, 272 pound woman. MFP has calculated that I eat 1610 calories a day. I have been doing the Couch to 5K Program for 5 weeks and on the days that I am not "running", I usually take a walk or do a class at the gym. However, I am not losing weight and I am getting increasingly frustrated. I mean, I feel great - I know I am getting stronger and more toned but I really wish the scale would reflect this.

A few people have said that they didn't think I was eating enough but I seriously doubt that. I also tend to eat back the calories I burn on my excersize days. Does anyone have any tips or help? I would appreciate anything!

Thanks!

Replies

• minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food?
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I fully understand. You haven't lost any weight in five weeks? Or have you just started logging?

How do your clothes fit? Have you taken measurements? It's possible you are toning up, which may not be reflected on the scale.

Hang in there, I know it's hard.....I've been stuck for a while now! :flowerforyou:
  • kthartz2000
    Options
    I haven't been weighing my food bud I do try to measure most of it. I have been logging for about 3 weeks now and have gainexd and lost the same 1 pound. It is extremely frustrating! I have toned up a bit - my clothes definitely fit better, too. I wish that feeling geat was enough of a reward for me but I really need to see a change in the scale.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to weight your food, it's the only way to be accurate. Plus if you eat all your exercise calories back and overestimate how many calories you actually burn, you won't lose weight.
  • ajsand2010
    Options
    You need to create a deficit not keep eating till you burn the same as what you eat = no weight loss!!

eat less and exercise more it is wholly down to that (by eating less i mean less calories from fatty foods, lean proteins and lots of vegetables for every meal will keep you full and you will see better results!)
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine though not fine in the way you anticipated. The weight will come off but right now it is being re-distributed. I have been there and just like you was frustrated to see the same 1 to 2 pounds disappear and re-appear. I was building muscle I needed and had lost. Now I am past that phase and the weight is starting to come off at the right rate 1 to 2 pounds a week or about 5 lbs a month. Patience grasshopper...it will come off just stick to your plan. If you need support let me know as before I was breathless going up a flight of stairs and yesterday I played soccer for two hours. Not my best two hours but I was out there contributing to the effort. Also if you need a little positive support feel free to add me.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, been there myself even now I still do that.....the reason for me is if I don't weigh the food I can't estimate I am always wrong with that.....as for my exercise I do use a HRM and my fitbit....if the scale is not moving, but the inches are going that is good some people lose inches before the scale moves don't get depressed.....this is a learning process for all of us it will work out for you......friend me if you like....good luck
  • MsDkis1
    MsDkis1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and don't give up! As others stated...make sure you are logging all your food and don't eat the calories you've burned from working out! Celebrate the nsv (non scale victory) - the clothes fitting better. the scale can alot of times be discouraging. Don't base your accomplishment on how much you weigh. Rather look at how your body is changing, how you feel better. I was upset earlier this week because the scale hasn't budge but I realized on Sunday I was able to wear a dress i couldn't pass my head last month! :}
    it'll all work and proportion out soon enough! ;}
  • cgrace6
    cgrace6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was frustrated as well. I am to eat 1200 calories per day which I have been doing. I exercise every day whether it is a very brisk walk or elliptical or exercise bike. I lost 5 lbs my first week, and only 1.4 lbs since. I am going into my third week. I am told to hang in there. I believe that we are toning and we will notice more weight loss a bit further along. Hang in there!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, it is possible that your exercise calories are overestimated. Do you go by what MFP says or do you use a heart rate monitor or other calorie calculating device/app? MFP figures tend to be high for most listings so instead of eating back all it gives you, aim to eat back 1/2 to 2/3rds instead.
    You need to create a deficit not keep eating till you burn the same as what you eat = no weight loss!!

Nope! This may be true if you create no other deficit but that is not how MFP works. When you set up your profile, it includes a calorie deficit in your daily calorie goal depending on what you input for info - including your height, weight, gender, your daily activity level, your weight loss goal and how much weight per week you want to lose. Therefore when you exercise you create an even bigger deficit which can be detrimental to long term weight loss goals, fitness and overall healthy. You need to fuel the body to make it function right!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I found that trying to eat back the exercise calories and how much to eat back etc very frustrating! Switching to TDEE-x% has made things much easier and the weight is coming off. Some days I'm not as hungry and I eat less, other days I may go over my calories, but I look at the weekly average more than the daily consumption.

The key is finding what YOU are comfortable with and works. Take the time to tinker with your calories and how you consume them. It may take you longer to reach your goal because of the time spent on finding what works for you but in the end it's worth it because you'll find a way that you can sustain for life.
  • kthartz2000
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support. I am going to eat less calories and keep up with the excersize. I will have to go out and buy a food scale too! Thanks again - I really needed the encouragement :)
  • kthartz2000
    Options
    What is TDEE? I am such a newbie!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE? I am such a newbie!

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    There are calculators to help you determine yours. It's an estimate of what you burn daily. You'll need to tinker with the numbers once you start losing weight if you're losing a different amount than you were aiming for. I find it much easier to do it that way but everyone is different on what works for them. Some people like consistency others like doing it the MFP way.

Search the threads here and you'll learn a lot about it.
  • lavi73
    lavi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks MinnInMaine! I was told to eat the calories i'm excercising off which i'm doing. I'm a MFP 1200 cal limit and i'm burning at minimum 500 calories through exercising. I just started MFP (seriously this time) 2 days ago... but been working out for about 2 months with no weight loss (it's my diet so I joined here). In 2 days 1 gained a pound... I thought it was the whole deficit thing too, but I spoke with a trainer at the gym today and she said that i should be eating the calories I burn because the 1200 calorie diet already has a built in deficit just like MinniInMaine said.
  • MaggieMaeB
    MaggieMaeB Posts: 17
    Options
    I think it is always wise not to be a slave to your scale - it's a tool, that's all. If you know your doing what you need to be doing food and exercise wise, put it away and limit how often you weigh (1 X a week should be plenty). Why not swear off the scale for a month and focus on meeting 100% of your goals as far as eating and exercise go? It's worked for me in the past! Keep going - you'll get there!
  • Stay2theC
    Stay2theC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drinking enough water? This was one of my problems when I first started.