Florida Friends

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I also very much rcommend looking at hotel ratings and reviews when you book. I went to Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago with friends (they took care of the details) and the hotel we stayed in -- a Holiday Inn or some other major, well-known chain -- was right on the beach and pretty pricey. It had a gorgeous lobby and pool area, but the rooms were disgusting. Like, you didn't want to touch the walls disgusting.

Make Tripadvisor your friend. We had the same thing happen in college with a Days Inn on Miami Beach that a friend booked. There was blood all over the bed sheets. Like Patrick Bateman ax-murder blood on the bed sheets. Pretty gross.

If you want to LOVE where you stay, Don Cesar in St. Petersburg is beautiful beyond compare, and the beaches over there are the best in the world. The condos over there are also pretty great.
  • mgj77
    mgj77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to visit St.Augustine Absolutely beutiful! There is an old Fort by the King Lion draw bridge that was featured on Ghost Hunters. You can take a ghost tour also. but it fills up quick. Have a great time!! Also they have pretty beaches I dont reccomend Daytona beach very windy and cold
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to visit St.Augustine Absolutely beutiful! There is an old Fort by the King Lion draw bridge that was featured on Ghost Hunters. You can take a ghost tour also. but it fills up quick. Have a great time!! Also they have pretty beaches I dont reccomend Daytona beach very windy and cold
    Don't do the ghost tour. We did that (the walking tour, anyway) and it SUCKED. Total waste of time and money. But otherwise, St. Aug is awesomesauce.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I live on the east coast of Central Florida and love it. Get a little taste of the cool weather (in season). Take a look at New Smyrna beach for nice condos, a little laid back with a cute town, and beautiful beaches.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't do the ghost tour. We did that (the walking tour, anyway) and it SUCKED. Total waste of time and money. But otherwise, St. Aug is awesomesauce.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not the OP but we are driving over to St. A in the fall and were thinking of doing this on our vaca. Trying to do it kinda on a budget so I'd like to only spend $ on really cool stuff. It's been 15 years since I've been so I'm trying to pack cool stuff in for us grownups and our youngins.
  • rml_16
    Options

Thanks for posting this. I'm not the OP but we are driving over to St. A in the fall and were thinking of doing this on our vaca. Trying to do it kinda on a budget so I'd like to only spend $ on really cool stuff. It's been 15 years since I've been so I'm trying to pack cool stuff in for us grownups and our youngins.
    The riding tour may be better, but it's more expensive. I don't know what they do differently or if it's just because you ride instead of walking. We were all very disappointed -- and not because we didn't see anything. It just wasn't fun.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    Consider Pensacola (50 miles East of Mobile,AL). I have lived in Pensacola, Inglewood (near Sarasota) and Ft. Lauderdale. Moved back to Pensacola for retirement. Cost of living is much less than rest of FL, beach is best and free, Due to tourists we get great city benefits without large city problems (for the most part). Hope this helps.
    Be aware that the FL Panhandle is not the "rich" part of FL and it is more like Alabama than Miami. In fact, some refer to the Panhandle as L.A. (Lower Alabama).
    :smile:
  • pkingfox
    pkingfox Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi....we recently (June 14, 2013) moved to Flagler Beach FL....east coast just north of Ormond and Daytona....we LOVE it here....alll residential no highrises lots of non-chain restaurants and beautiful beaches and weather. We left No. VA outside of DC and our entire family (9 yo, 2 11 yo girls - 20 yo and parents) love it here. Lots to do during daytime if you enjoy getting outside in the sunshine riding bikes, playing in the ocean etc, Lots of parks and things to do - nightlife isn't huge here a few bars and neat places to go for happy hours. We have found this to be just our speed...my husband travels alot so the kids and I always have something to do here. It is like Mayberry on the ocean....our little piece of heaven here on earth! The weather is warmer but nothing compared to DC area where it's the H's - HOT HAZY & HUMID.
    Come visit - you may find your new place to live....and no it's not all OLD people either ;)!!!!
    Oh and the housing market hasn't totally rebounded yet so many affordable homes on the beach too!!!!

ALSO...forgot I just visited the west coast on the gulf - Panama City.....it was much more commercialized and crowded and I didn't find the beaches that wonderful...very slanted and hard to walk or run on....just my opinion ;).
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I live in miami. I love it. It is expensive but seriously I love all about it. I love my condo, my kids schools, the beach our pool. I am a happy floridan
  • rml_16
    Options
    The weather is warmer but nothing compared to DC area where it's the H's - HOT HAZY & HUMID.

Just a word of warning, but you haven't REALLY experienced Florida heat. This summer has been kind of mild.

There have been summers in the past where I developed a migraine from the heat just walking to me car from my office (about 20 feet). This year has been on the cooler side.

And I've experienced summer in Baltimore/DC. Luckily, you do have the beach close by and that helps. But be prepared for years to come!
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    check out St Augustine
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you guys are ALL so awesome.. what a HUGE help.. thank you SO so much... now I have a lot to google LOL....Yayaya so excited!! and thank you so much for taking the time to write all that.. I love all the details!!!

Holliwood
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I live in the Florida Keys and it's a perfect get-away trip.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Southern California, and I have lived in the Orlando area for about 5 years......trust me unless you have family here you will visit and def not want to move here! the weather /humidity is HORRIBLE! Spoiled Californians will die here lol I know I feel like dying half of the time, I am still not use to it!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sarasota. Siesta Key beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It's made the top 10 list several times. Stay somewhere in the village and rent bikes so you can ride to the beach, awesome restaurants, fun night life. The Ringling Museum, Selby Gardens...we have a lot of circus history here and lots of great things to do.

Hit me up if you decide to come here and I can let you know what's going on when you're planning your vacation.
  • boystennismom
    boystennismom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I moved here from Washington State three years ago for my kids (we live at a tennis academy). Counting the days till we move home. It is so crazy humid and hot with terrible traffic. Have travelled all over the state for tournaments. Sanibel Island is the prettiest place I've seen, you might really enjoy it.
  • fatboyfat60
    fatboyfat60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    me and my wife from uk and visted florida a few times clearwater beach down by tampa is the muts nuts we love it hoping to get back soon . would move to us in a second if you's would let anyone in haha we've just started on fitness pal first weigh in tomorrow.. fingers crossed but a long way to go..
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    And if you're young, the older people will treat you like you don't belong in "their" state.

This is absolutely true. I am 5th generation Floridian and I just wish everyone ELSE would quit moving to MY damn state so I can move back home. That being said, it's mostly been ruined and the new place I live is completely different but gives me the same feeling of "natural beauty" Florida USED to have....before everyone else moved there.

And for the record....I'm 43. Most of the state has been essentially ruined in that short period of time.......

Oh, and since it's now officially football season...GO GATORS!!!!!
  • afewexcuses
    afewexcuses Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm from Pensacola. :)
  • adrerock
    adrerock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Paradise Beach and Park in Cocoa Beach Fl. Its located on Florida's Space Coast. Just minutes away from Kennedy Space Center and 45 minutes East of Orlando.