Motivation when you have depression.

Options
Do to a recent find in my depression history, I am hoping to shake it in the next couple of weeks but my motivation for working out and eating healthy is zilch to none. All I want to do is eat junk and sit on my *kitten*. I dread my work outs and then the only reason I am doing them is because I know I get to eat more. Its unhealthy, this circle of self destruction and I was hoping for some success stories that involve depression and over coming it. I am so tired of being the chubby one...

Replies

• elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I came here praying that someone had replied with something helpful already. :( I wish I knew words to encourage and help, but I feel like I'm lost on the same island as you.

Depression and anxiety have taken over the last two months of my life and it has reflected with my stagnant weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

not a depression success story, but it's funny, it's truth, and maybe it'll make you smile a bit.
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have found that eating poorly and not exercising make my depression much worse. I've shifted my focus not to be to workout to lose weight, but to eat as cleanly as I can (not diet, not feel deprived). When you eat to feel good and exercise to feel good, rather than get thin, it becomes more doable, and you start to feel better. It becomes a cycle of feeling great, and eating better and working out more often to keep feeling great. There are ups and downs, but I think it gets better over time, if you just keep trying.
  • VeganGlasgow27
    VeganGlasgow27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't really exercise, but I find that being depressed reduces my appetite anyway. Getting to 1,200 is a lot of effort, so usually I'll try to make it all healthy calories. So I'll have two slices of wholemeal/seeded toast with mushroom pate and a glass of orange juice, and that gets me up to 500ish calories. Then other small meals (even toast again if I'm completely not in the mood to eat) throughout the day.

Walking is a good exercise if you can't be bothered with anything else.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Love you all so much! I struggle with major depression and after many years of using food to get me through the next hour because living was just too painful, I've come to realize this:

When you're depressed, minutes feel like hours, and they hurt. Bad.
    You're bored and don't care enough about anything to fix it.
    You're drowning in guilt for not doing enough, not caring enough, etc etc.

I had this epiphany that I felt less depressed/guilty when I was being productive while lying around trying to make it through the next hour -- ie, if the dishwasher or washing machine was running.

Then I realized if I stuck to my calorie intake, I WOULD be productive while lying around -- always. The weight would creep off slowly. That gave me a little glimmer of hope.

Realize that you don't have to push yourself and go crazy with exercising right away. If all you can do is make it through the day, just make it through the day while sticking to your calorie goal. It's one small responsibility you can handle. Even if it takes you months to feel like you can get out of bed and go for a walk, you're at least losing pounds that will make it easier when you do. And you'll find that you might feel like moving more often after awhile.. :)

I hope this helps.. it's the only way I get by! Add me if you need support!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Meditation
    seriously sleep 8 hours - make it a priority
    It may sound silly, but I think vitamin D has helped my depression
    Do an inventory of all the awesome things you've accomplished in the last year, and every time that little voice in your head tells you what a loser you are, whip out the list and beat that voice back into submission
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression. I've had it on and off since I was a teen. Sometimes its so bad, all I can do is lie in bed and stare at the tv. Going to work is the only thing I can manage. Even then, my work suffers, my home suffers, I suffer.

It becomes a cycle, you aren't happy, so you eat, so you gain weight, so then you really aren't happy. You have to break the cycle.

The only thing I've found that helps is exercise. I throw all of the pain, sorrow, mind numbing grief, sadness, unhappiness and loneliness into exercise. I still hate life, I still don't want to get out of bed, but I know that the exercise helps. It may take a little time but it helps.

I walk, a lot. Walking becomes a sort of therapy. Walking and breathing, it becomes meditative. My brain clears, my thoughts clear and, eventually, it depression clears. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen.

Sorry that I don't have an answer, just a knowledge of what you are going through. Good luck to you!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some words to help you.. unfortunately I know too many people who suffer bouts of depression and would love any advice given on how to help at those times as well...
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating poorly and not exercising make my depression much worse.

Agree 100% with the above. When I don't exercise for more than a week I get incredibly depressed. I went through a 2-year bout of depression and the only thing that pulled me out was forcing myself to work out on a regular basis. I still experience it from time to time, but it's MUCH more manageable when exercising daily.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I experienced depression once, it was very strange. I felt so vulnerable, like I would not be able to handle normal daily stresses.
    My overall advice based on my own experience, is to gently steer yourself away from bad habits/patterns.
    I overcame depression with natural means, check out St. John's Wort (an herb), as a medically recognized means of support for healing from depression.
    Other supplements I took were recommended along with that herb, Omega's and vitamin D3. It takes 6 weeks to level out of depression.
    Also, regular exercise.
    Steer yourself back to regular sleep times, if that has been affected. The herb helps with that as well.

Give yourself not weeks, but months, to heal. It took me a solid 3 months to heal, and not feel like I was sliding down into depression again. I did feel "better" in 4 weeks. After 3 months, I slowly backed off the St. John's wort. Keep a bottle of the herb around for a period of time afterwards, just in case you need the support.
    I am completely healed now, I don't ever take the herb. Although I have kept a bottle on hand in the wintertime for the past few years, as that historically was my most vulnerable time due to lack of sunshine and stress combined.
  • LAF1993
    LAF1993 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also struggle with bouts of depression and eat unhealthy to give me that tiniest boost to get me through the day and its only really recently I've been finding ways to overcome it.
    1) I've stocked up on 'healthier' treats such as under 100 calories snacks which are really sweet and give an endorphin boost
    2) made myself a motivational notepad. In it is my goals, quotes, things people have said and pictures I've cut out of magazines of clothes and things I want when I've lost weight. I find the actual putting together of this book can also sway my mind from depressive thoughts.
    3) realised that going over is not the be all and end all. For example yesterday I went out for lunch with an old friend which tipped me over my limit. Sometimes this would get me down but then I realised if I go for 3 extra 30 minute walks this week I'll have burnt it off and that is perfectly manageable.

I hope you are feeling more like yourself soon and good luck with the weight loss
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with major depressive order (recurrent) a few times in my life. Currently I'm still on antidepressants, and have been for the past, Oh, five years or so. Maybe closer to six. I had severe post partum depression after my last child was born. Have you and your doctor experimented with different meds? I was one one med that left me just feeling "not suicidal", which was really an improvement over the alternative, but I really missed being an upbeat happy person. We had to screw around with doseages and different meds for years, literally, but last year I got on one that controlled the depression and allowed me to feel a bigger range of happy than just flat and "not too sad". Bonus is that "Weight gain" is NOT listed as a side effect of this one.

Anyway, other than the med issue, which you have to address with your doctor, I'd suggest not relying too heavily on motivation. There are two definitions for "motivation" you know. One is "the reasons that prompt someone to make a change." You haven't lost that motivation. You still want to lose weight for health benefits, appearance, or whatever originally made you start this process. Those haven't changed and they won't. The other thing that people mean when they talk about "motivation" is an emotional state of excitement, high energy, and "looking forward" to doing something. That isn't sustainable. It's an emotional reaction. As you know, human beings are creatures of emotional change. We're MEANT to have a variety of emotional states that change in response to what's going on around us. In fact, a flat affect, or the inability to feel a variety of emotions is criteria for a diagnosis of mental illness. You can't maintain happy, or sad (unless you're depressed) indefinitely, so why would you be able to maintain "motivated"?

The thing is though, you don't have to be "motivated" to succeed. You really can do your workouts because they're good for you, or they allow you to eat more, or just because activity is the means by which the human machine is maintained. A daily walk is to the human body what an oil change every 3,000 miles is to your car. Sure you can blow it off because you're "too busy", or "it costs too much money", or you "don't have time", but you'll still destroy your engine.

At some point you have to move "taking care of my body appropriately", which includes a proper diet of nutritious food in the right amounts to repair your cells and fuel your activity, and appropriate amounts of that activity, into the same mental category that you have for all your other adult behaviors: going to work, paying your bills, obeying the law, caring for your children, etc. etc. etc. That is "Stuff I have to do whether I'm in the mood or not, or the consequences will be more unpleasant than I wish to bear."

Now the good thing is that it's not all drudgery forever. Motivation doesn't just go away and stay gone. Remember, it's an emotional state. That means it comes back too. Generally it comes back in response to improvements. If you lose weight, don't you feel a burst of inspiration to keep doing it? When your running time improves, you feel excited about it. What works for me is to track many, many things, not just my weight. I take measurements of my body, I use a heart rate monitor for my exercise. I track max heart rate, resting heart rate, time to recovery to baseline, distance I've walked, ran, biked, kayaked, amount of weights I can lift and reps I can do in strength training. With all that data, it's very seldom that I go even three days without seeing some improvement. Maybe the scale is stuck, but I'm losing inches. If I'm not losing inches, then I'm running faster. If I'm not running faster, then I can move up a weight category on my kettlebell exercises. That keeps my head in the emotional space of "I'm making progress. This is working." which is way more motivational than any photoshopped fitness quote on Pinterest, EVER.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

not a depression success story, but it's funny, it's truth, and maybe it'll make you smile a bit.

At your suggestion, I just read this. I read Oatmeal comics anyway, but this was brilliant.

It has made my day, my week and even my year. Love it!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can not cry and run at the same time !
    I also try to listen rather then talk.
    and prayer !
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For me, keeping to a schedule helps when my depression starts spiraling - meaning, a gym schedule, but also a healthy (and simple) meal plan. It's still not easy, but I know that not working out and eating unhealthy food makes my depression that much worse. Just do what little you can, even if it feels like you're going through the motions.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you can, think of eating well and exercising as prescriptions for your depression. I have a long history of depression, and find that a good 30-60 minute session of aerobic exercise makes a huge difference in mood. And they don't call it a cycle of depression for nothing. You can feed the depression, or you can feed your body what it needs to get better--a healthier diet does support improved mental health.

And moving out of depression takes hard work. If you don't have a therapist to help you, find one. Your insurance may pay part of it and is likely to pay for psychiatric care (you'd need to see an MD to get medication--most people benefit more from a combination of drugs and talk therapy, but being the daughter of a drug addict, I was always afraid to go that route myself). Many therapists will work out a payment plan or set fees relative to your ability to pay. Many pastors and rabbis have so-called "Pastor's Purses" to use as discretionary funds for members and are happy to use them to help with mental health care. And local universities may offer low-cost care from grad students who are closely supervised by credentialed therapists.

Good luck.
  • neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of weeks off meds because I don't really care and I don't feel so good. I am hoping that maybe changing my diet will save me $120 psychiatrist visit every three months and $30 a month in medication.

They say you lose weight on Wellbutrin but I didn't notice any change until I stopped then the scale went up. Way up.
    Gained 9lbs in 2 weeks, erased my last mfp account, got a new account

So much junk food, zero motivation. I'm not working out. I might when it cools down but I'm not dealing with my kids separation anxiety if I drop them off in the gym daycare and like hell I'm going outdoors when it's 100F outside.

I have a goal now so I am trying to stay mindful of eating much much less and cutting the junk food completely. I ran out of money last pay period, and I think Jack in the Box and Taco Bell had a lot to do with that.

That Oatmeal comic made me feel very uncomfortable.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have clinical depression. Luckily, it responds to medication. I still have the usual ups and downs, but with medication, a great bike ride, a fun activity, a good book or even just a funny sitcom can raise my spirits.

A while back, my medication stopped working. Nothing in my life had gotten worse, but suddenly I found no joy in anything and felt hopeless all the time.None of those things above made me feel better. At the worst point, I didn't even want to sit on my rear and watch TV, I just laid in bed.

I upped the dose and felt better again. Which is to say, sometimes depression is just a stupid chemical imbalance in your brain easily treated with medication.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I experienced depression once, it was very strange. I felt so vulnerable, like I would not be able to handle normal daily stresses.
    My overall advice based on my own experience, is to gently steer yourself away from bad habits/patterns.
    I overcame depression with natural means, check out St. John's Wort (an herb), as a medically recognized means of support for healing from depression.
    Other supplements I took were recommended along with that herb, Omega's and vitamin D3. It takes 6 weeks to level out of depression.
    Also, regular exercise.
    Steer yourself back to regular sleep times, if that has been affected. The herb helps with that as well.

Give yourself not weeks, but months, to heal. It took me a solid 3 months to heal, and not feel like I was sliding down into depression again. I did feel "better" in 4 weeks. After 3 months, I slowly backed off the St. John's wort. Keep a bottle of the herb around for a period of time afterwards, just in case you need the support.
    I am completely healed now, I don't ever take the herb. Although I have kept a bottle on hand in the wintertime for the past few years, as that historically was my most vulnerable time due to lack of sunshine and stress combined.

I am glad you are feeling better and it sounds like you experienced a placebo effect with the St. John's Wart. That pill is not recognized as an effective tool in treating depression. (although it has been marketed as such) Also, there is no time frame "to level out", as each individual will experience different symptoms and severity levels of depression. There must have been other changes associated with your decrease in symptoms and feeling better, but it was not the St. Johns Wart.

I am just throwing this out there for the OP for additional information. Again, I am glad that you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have found exercise to be the best treatment of my depression (persistent since childhood). The more / harder I work out, the better improved my mood is overall. I would never give it up. Even on days when my fatigue is really bad, if I just push myself to start a workout, I always feel better afterwards. Depression is really difficult to live with. I don't know if everyone overcomes it. I just try to manage it, and live the best quality of life I can. There are bad days, but there are really good days too.