Chronic Diarrhea and Weight Gain!

Options
I have a friend who doesn't have myfitnesspal and has chronic diarrhea and weight gain. So I thought I would ask on here if anyone else have experienced this? I know it could be many things but thought I would ask for her anyhow.

She's had the diarrhea for over 6 months and has gained about 20lbs.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What does her doctor say?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It would be best for her to visit a doctor about it. Chronic diarrhea can signal a few things, and she needs to get that checked out because she could be badly dehydrated. A common cause is IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Definitely something to go to the doctor about. It could be a number of auto-immune disorders, food allergies, etc.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Why would she not consult a doctor rather than strangers on a calorie counting site?

At any rate, this can be a sign of quite a few different gastro issues that should be DXd by a professional.

Things like crohn's and colitis, celiac disease come to mind.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Tell her to see a doctor!

Please don't come to an online community for medical advice. That can only make things worse.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Time to see the doctor. A 6 month old complaint needs to be addressed in person with the benefit of diagnostics to rule in or out things in hopes of relief. I wish your friend lots of luck and hope things turn out well. :drinker:
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    My question is if anyone else has experienced this, I wasn't asking for medical advice. If you would read the question.:happy:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My question is if anyone else has experienced this, I wasn't asking for medical advice. If you would read the question.:happy:

gah :noway:
    annnnd good luck to you.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    That wasn't towards you at all, someone asked why I'm asking for medical advice on a calorie page. Sorry if I made you feel bad.:sad:
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

OK. Yes, I have experienced diarreha before. When this happens, I usually see my doctor immediately.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It would be best for her to visit a doctor about it. Chronic diarrhea can signal a few things, and she needs to get that checked out because she could be badly dehydrated. A common cause is IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome.

^^^ this. that's something where they have to rule out serious conditions. it's probably IBS but she should get it checked out.
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am also experiencing it, I have scheduled appointment with a doctor already so I will notify you when I go to my appointment. Its not the weight gain itself though in my case, it is the overeating and extreme animalistic hunger I experience after the diarrhea. The felling of fullness and actually sick of how full I am but I feel the need of nutrients and the food to be in my body since everything is out of my organism. So I keep on eating even though I don't like the food, I just stuff it in me to fill some kind of void I don't even know how to explain. I literally started intaking 5000 calories a day on diarrhea days but I haven't really gained weight. Probably since all of the food I eat before diarrhea is out of my system.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    yes, i have colitis but my weight gain came from steroids (hugh appetite) and no energy to exercise. When I am healthy and well I can control my weight and exercise.

That said your friend needs to see a doctor. They could be dehydrated or be lacking in vitamins and minerals if they are passing frequently.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options

Please don't come to an online community for medical advice. That can only make things worse.

I'm not asking for medical advice, I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this so I can tell her she's not alone. Thanks though. :wink: I wish I could just delete this question all together.:embarassed:
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you go to an IBS support group you'll find a lot of people who have experienced this. IBS-D. Diagnosed by elimination, often.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A close friend of mine experienced something very similar. It turned out she had been ignoring her bodies cues for several months (had been pooping up to 20x a day, which is NOT normal.) By the time they discovered she had Crohn's Disease, she had lost most of her lower intestine.

eta: Your friend needs to see a doctor to rule out the cause of it.
    eta2: Because I suck at spelling apparently.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I would say to lay off the Taco Bell for a while and see if that helps.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have that happen on occasion.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    If you go to an IBS support group you'll find a lot of people who have experienced this. IBS-D. Diagnosed by elimination, often.

I didn't know there was such a site. Thanks. I'll let her know.
  • rjmudlax13
    Options

I'm not asking for medical advice, I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this so I can tell her she's not alone. Thanks though. :wink: I wish I could just delete this question all together.:embarassed:

Please don't take it as personal. It sounded like you were asking for advice which can be dangerous. I'm certain that a lot of people have expereinced what your friend is expereincing. However, what is really going to help her is seeing a doctor.