Menopause+Smoking Cessation Nightmare

Options
I was prepared for some weight gain at menopause. At 5'7" I was 115 lb.s 3 years ago. Gained steadily to 125 and was very happy there. Turned 50 in November-it hit 130 pretty suddenly. I was still fine with that and that is actually my goal. Quit smoking in April and seems I gain 2 lb.s a week! I'm at 145! It's not just the weight. At 50 I still had a flat stomach and slender thighs I should have been more thankful for. My body has morphed like The Blob! Cellulite appearing where there was none before. Fat belly (muffin top I've never had!), fat thighs, butt and hips. This while exercising an hour a day 5 days a week, walking on weekends, working 2nd shift at a factory! I feel like my body is out of control and it's scary. Always been able to eat whatever and however much I wanted to and my metabolism blew it away. I'm sure it's mostly hormonal and the smoking cessation, but I have been so careful with my eating since I stopped smoking and it doesn't seem to matter!

So depressed with this change I seem to hjave no say in, feel like I'm being overtaken by a demon body with a mind of it's own-ha!

Anyone discovered the formula for beating hormonal weight gain? Bought the Perfect 10 Diet book about eating to correct 10 hormones in the body (didn't know there were 10!), but it's so hard to follow. I have made some changes. I make my own flaxseed bread, bought organic milk and eggs. Eat alot of raw veggies. It's hard to go organic when you are single, old , tired and poor : )

Anyone experienced this? What are you trying? Seems like the more you read the more confused you become. One diet says something is a must, the next says it's an absolute no-no. Ugh!

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest I'm not going to be much help here BUT it's not necessary to buy organic.
    If you can afford to, go for it. But it sounds like it might be tough for you - so it's better to eat as many whole foods as you can rather than organic
  • L1giff
    L1giff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same issues with menopause...it stinks! I'm about 50 days into trying to "fix" things, including big changes in my diet and lots of exercise, and have lost about 21 lbs so far. It's a long and slow process, unfortunately. Limiting carbs, lots of lean meat and fish, a combo of cardio and strength training, and tons of water are all things that have worked for me. Stick to it and, eventually, you'll feel better and you'll see a payoff!
  • KarenE58
    KarenE58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 55, quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago and have been battling my weight. I have now lost 25 pounds over the last 2 months with another 20 pounds to go, it has not been easy. I have been working out at least a half hour a day though most days I work out for a hour or more. I have found it is just as important to take 1 day off a week from working out, also change up your workout, our bodies get use to what we are doing. I do a combination of aerobics, biking, and strength training.
    As for the eating, that is where I have found that my fitness pal has helped most, by helping me keep track of what I am eating and how much.. I eat healthy and I stay away from fad diets. This is a life style change, so I have to keep it real. I still eat bread, potatoes, pasta, just not often. I have really tried to stay away from processed food, which means I make all my own meals, no frozen meals or packaged foods. The biggest eye opener for me is the amount of calories in items. I use to make lattes all the time until I realized how many calories are in milk, now I have lattes only once or twice a week at a treat.
    Remember to keep it real, this is something that you have to live with for the rest of your life.
  • kpsl_4
    kpsl_4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I hardly have any meat at all during week. Probably need to try for more. Always 1 hr. a day of exercise, different types-a bit of a new addiction. Probably overdoing it. Extreme hormone fluctuations probably going on. I bloat to the point of looking 9 months pregnant some days, before eating anything! I cry constantly-embarassing-feel like I should send my boyfriend away-I can't be very much fun blubbering and/or raging all the time:ohwell

I try to stay positive, calm, focused and it feels like my mind, body and spirit are in complete rebellion. Are any of you on hormones or supplements that have helped with any hormonal imbalances?

I eat raw veggies all week, spinach salads..yesterday stumbled across an article about thyroid and how raw veggies, spinach, etc. should be avoided..live on soy-avoid soy..I'm so tired of conflicting info. And ashamed that I am so affected by my body's changes-I don't like the idea of being so emotionally invested in my body's appearancl-never been very attractive and aging has not bothered me-until my body blew up into a puffy cellulite muffin top zone-it's like being in the Twilight Zone:laugh:
  • KarenE58
    KarenE58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just try to stay positive and give yourself a chance. I'm now on holidays for the week and I know it will be hard to stay on track. I am still working out, though I little more since I am going to be eating bad things........you know hamburgers, hotdogs (have you seen how many calories are in a smokie dog LOL) I am staying away from beer and sticking to wine. My goal for this week is just to stay where I'm at, if I can do that I will be happy. By the way I eat cooked veggies some nights with dinner not always raw. The only reason why I eat so many raw veggies is that I like them that way.
    If you are having hormonal problems you should probably go and get a full physical, I get one once a year, so I've stayed on top of any problems. There are so many things that can effect our weight.