what makes one " In shape"

Options
A skinny guy may run six miles with ease while struggling to bench his own weight ..all while a more muscled guy can bench twice his weight bit struggle to run a 5k...where's the balance? ?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    In shape depends on actual goals. I'm not in shape to run a marathon, but I don't strive for it either. I'm not in shape for a bodybuilding competition either. But I am in shape to play sports, kickbox and instruct cardio classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there are lots of shapes
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I guess it does have to be goal specific or the ability to handle a multitude of activities without embarrassing yourself
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Agree with ninerbuff. I would consider myself in shape, but maybe not what someone else would consider in shape. I can lift a lot, but there will always be someone who can lift more or longer. I can complete a Tough Mudder, but there will always be someone who can run the whole 12 miles and faster than I can.

As long as I continue in my gym routine and continue to get stronger, I consider myself in shape.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Round is a shape, I guess that means I am in shape. Seriously though, it all depends on what you're doing. I am in shape to swim a mile, my father in law runs 100 mile races, I couldn't do that, and swimming two laps is not within his ability.

Rigger
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I agree it really depends on your personal goals. Do you want to be in shape to walk up the stairs without getting winded, in shape to run a 5K, in shape to enter a body building competition, or in shape to simply feel healthy and fit (and so on and so on)?