I feel guilty for putting myself first!!

Options
I am doing so well...12 pounds down...I want to lose 60 more...My hubby and I and the kids were at the grocery store yesterday and I actually felft guilty spending the extra money on myself for my food...It is alot more expensive..We have a budget and I was actually having to tell my kids no on some of the things they are used to getting, just so I could get my food...My hubby said it was okay and was actually supportive about it, which made me feel better..I guess it's just that I have always put myself last, taking care of 5 kids and a husband..my needs have never really been high on the list...I finally decided that after finding out I had high blood pressure, and just turning 40...I needed the change!! My mom had breast cancer, and I know being overweight and older increases your chances for things like diabetes, high blood pressure, some cancers..I mean, the thought of leaving my family early, due to weight related issues was just the push I needed to get on track..I just need to change my thought process now and realize that I need to take care of myself first and it will make it easier to take care of everyone else..I need lots of support, so feel free to add me as a friend :)

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as depriving your kids. You're giving them their mom for longer! That's WAY more important in the long run. I've stopped getting my kids all the snacks they ask for, and get them some instead. Then we all get healthier foods, which makes everyone happy. Good job on losing weight, and keep up the good work!
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad about putting yourself first. You have to look out for numero uno first. Your making yourself better and giving yourself more time on this earth by getting healthy. Kids will understand completely. They care more about you than they do the snacks or foods they cant get. Who knows.. maybe you will set an example and your whole family will be eating alot healthier!
  • sazziecee
    Options
    I get this too.

I sometimes have to say no to my kids to things they like because I need that £2.50 for that nights Zumba class and I do feel bad, but I NEED my Zumba class more than they need a particular brand of cereal or some cheesestrings etc.

Also if your kids are anything like mine, the stuff they want/are used to eating may not be the most nutritionally balanced choice, far better to spend the money on healthier options you can all eat and snack on and teach them about healthy eating so hopefully they will never be overweight themselves.

I am proud of the fact my 6 year old will usually choose a fruit salad over a chocolate biscuit.

Don't feel guilty, you are making yourself into a happier, healthier mummy :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I heard a great analogy once that I have since stolen and used several times in situations like this when people feel guilty for taking their time to exercise or spending extra money on eating healthy.

When you fly, the flight attendants tell you that if something should happen and the oxygen masks drop, you should put your mask on first and then put masks on your children or others who need help. The reason for this is that you can't help your kids or anyone else if you don't have oxygen yourself. The same thing is true for people who care for others. You won't have the energy or ability to keep up with your kids and properly care for them if you don't take care of your health first. The changes you are making to eating healthy and exercising aren't just for you. When they are older, your kids won't remember not having a certain snack, but they will miss their Mom if you don't take care of your health now.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am the same way but I Am learning to take time out for me. As Moms we try to be super Heros and do it all and then there is nothing left for ourselves. But take the time for you and don't worry about buying healthier food it's less expensive to take care of yourself now than have medical bills later. Remember YOU are the only You, you have. You are worth it!!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hey sweety. You are suffering from mommy syndrome. What ultimately do you want to teach your children? Do you want to instill in them that their health is important and worth investing in? Your determination to regain your health and energy so that you will have something to offer the family will be noticed. It's not like you are off buying stuff to keep up with the latest fads, you are investing in your family by being an example of a healthy balanced individual. They will all benefit from this, let your husband and children know you appreciate their support and give them a way to help. Your doing a great job. Keep it up.