Green Smoothies

Options
2»

Replies

• micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies and have them a few times per week.

Also, you can use leafy vegetables other than spinach if you'd like. I love spinach personally, but I get bored if I always use the same thing.

I sometimes use kale, but when I increased greens in my smoothies it made them taste bitter. I didn't want to add honey or anything so I switched. Lol. I have a few with broccoli but I'm a little scared to try it. Lol. But trying new things gets you places!!
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    OptimisticlyOptimistic Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas. Thanks!
  • brightblueskie
    Options
    First of all, why is everyone on MFP so snarky all the time?

Second, I put baby spinach into just about any smoothie I make. It makes it a funny color (green or a horrifying brown-green if I put it in with blueberries) but I like getting the extra nutrition without having to chow down on a salad.
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    I do green fresh 'green' juice every morning. Lots of different options...it usually depends on what's fresh or on sale in the market. Apple, kale (or romaine), carrot and cucumber is one of my staple. Experiment...depends on what you like.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I love my green smoothies I have one every day for breakfast you cant taste the green at all. My favorite is spinach banana and strawberries with almond milk. I have had one every day for the last 7 months and know this has contributed to a lot of my weight loss!

How do you know that?

Because i never ate breakfast before, and this helped me to not make bad choices durring the day kept me full until lunch so I dont snack on sugar foods! And Spinach has SO many GOOD natural things and I have lost ALL of my weight since starting my green smoothies without adding any EXTRA exercise all though i recently purchased a treadmill and have started working out now!

You have eliminated any possible confounding factors to your weight loss?
    Did you miss the part where she said contributed to and not responsible for?
  • kat_lifts
    kat_lifts Posts: 56
    Options
    I usually do a mix of spinach, frozen fruit, banana, simply oj or simply lemonade, almond milk, and chia seeds. Vegan and tasty!

Love vegan recipes!
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I will do a green smoothie for a snack about twice a week.

My current favorite is:

-handfull of spinach
    -one kiwi
    -juice of one lime
    - 1/2 green apple
    -ice

It is like a sweet and sour slushie. UGH i love it

Lime & lemon make green smoothies so refreshing! This recipe must make one vibrant smoothie!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I just started with them this week. I love them. I use kale, spinach, chard and cannot taste the greens.

To get away from the bitter taste I'll mix in apples and bananas. Someone told me to use lemon juice because that will also take away the bitterness of the kale!

www.incrediblesmoothies.com

I love this one (I use almond milk instead of hazelnut)
    2 small bananas, peeled
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter (no salt)
    1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
    3 cups fresh baby spinach
    8 oz of hazelnut milk
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I do green fresh 'green' juice every morning. Lots of different options...it usually depends on what's fresh or on sale in the market. Apple, kale (or romaine), carrot and cucumber is one of my staple. Experiment...depends on what you like.

Definitely love experimenting with green smoothies, I hear its good to rotate your leafy greens, so I try a variety! Kale spinach romaine etc.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I just started with them this week. I love them. I use kale, spinach, chard and cannot taste the greens.

To get away from the bitter taste I'll mix in apples and bananas. Someone told me to use lemon juice because that will also take away the bitterness of the kale!

www.incrediblesmoothies.com

I love this one (I use almond milk instead of hazelnut)
    2 small bananas, peeled
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter (no salt)
    1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
    3 cups fresh baby spinach
    8 oz of hazelnut milk

Yum!! Hazelnut milk AND cacao powder? This must be amazing. Love the diversity of green smoothies
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I love my green smoothies I have one every day for breakfast you cant taste the green at all. My favorite is spinach banana and strawberries with almond milk. I have had one every day for the last 7 months and know this has contributed to a lot of my weight loss!

How do you know that?

Because i never ate breakfast before, and this helped me to not make bad choices durring the day kept me full until lunch so I dont snack on sugar foods! And Spinach has SO many GOOD natural things and I have lost ALL of my weight since starting my green smoothies without adding any EXTRA exercise all though i recently purchased a treadmill and have started working out now!

You have eliminated any possible confounding factors to your weight loss?
    Did you miss the part where she said contributed to and not responsible for?

He IS wearing a moon moon shirt...We may need to cut him a break!
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I love green smoothies. I have one several times a week. I usually put in coconut milk, spinach, parsley, celery, orange, greek yogurt, whey protein powder, and fresh chopped ginger. Delicious!

This is super amazing for the body! I've got to try it sometime. Thanks!
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    But can you REALLY not taste the spinach in it?

If you are starting out on green smoothies go more on fruits and less on greens, and I swear that the favors of the fruit will come through before any spinach does. And I also suggest (if starting out) to try to make it a pretty color! :)
  • justvap1
    justvap1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have one fore breakfast and one for lunch.....get all my recipes from simplegreensmoothie.com as well as greenthickies.com...both are on fb as well. I add chia seeds to all of them no matter what the recipe calls for. Kale is also an excellent option
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I love green smoothies and have them a few times per week.

Also, you can use leafy vegetables other than spinach if you'd like. I love spinach personally, but I get bored if I always use the same thing.

I sometimes use kale, but when I increased greens in my smoothies it made them taste bitter. I didn't want to add honey or anything so I switched. Lol. I have a few with broccoli but I'm a little scared to try it. Lol. But trying new things gets you places!!

Same here about not wanting to use add sweetener. As for broccoli... It's a lot stronger in flavor than I originally thought. Maybe it really does depend on what favors of fruit will play off it
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When adding these into mfp do folks just add them as their regular weight/size or do you need to make note that it was blended? Like you would for a juicer.

I find the variety of green smoothies almost overwhelming to try to start. Anyone have go to recipes for a newbie with weight loss and energy boosting goals? I really enjoy kale, arugula, spinach, romaine, celery, apples, bananas, citrus (especially limes, lemons, oranges), frozen blueberries. Very much dislike yogurt.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them before, I feel deprived :( Bump.... will pop back for the recipes :) some look scrummy
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually do a mix of spinach, frozen fruit, banana, simply oj or simply lemonade, almond milk, and chia seeds. Vegan and tasty!

Love vegan recipes!

Me too!

My Recipe:
    1 scoop Sunwarrior vegan protein powder
    1 cup almond milk
    1 cup kale
    1 banana
    1 teaspoon flax seeds
    1/2 cup frozen fruit (whatever I have in the freezer that is organic) :)
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people use Chia seeds....
    What is the benefit there? I use flax seeds and sometimes psyillium husk (fiber).