Goruck event?

Options
Has anyone ever done a Goruck event? I'm thinking about it. If you don't know what it is, it is a military style training for everyday people. It's run by ex-Green Berets, and they use the Green Beret style of training for endurance. 12 hours straight of running, swimming, crawling, lifting heavy thing, and what ever they tell you to do. You start at 1am and it ends at 1pm.

I'm super interested, just kind if scared. I wanted to know if anyone here has done it.

Here's the website: http://www.goruck.com

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at that as well... don't think I'm up to it quite yet, but it's on my list.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ooo, Scary yet exciting. I haven't ever known anyone to do this though.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Except for the sadistic timing, sounds like a blast!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in March! Very excited. I got a few spartan beasts and tough mudders behind me before I dared sign up for this. Packed my bricks up two weeks ago, love the GR1!! I have a ton of packs and this is a thing of beauty, really consider investing in one. For whatever reason they hold the weight just right. I've only ventured out 5 miles or so with it and let me tell you, it's heavy!! With my water the weight is about 48 lbs. it's gonna be a hell month for me as I am doing back to back to back races each weekend during that time. A tough Mudder, a spartan (the 11 mile one) and then the goruck! I wish you luck, sign up, it's a hell of a motivation to train!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in March! Very excited. I got a few spartan beasts and tough mudders behind me before I dared sign up for this. Packed my bricks up two weeks ago, love the GR1!! I have a ton of packs and this is a thing of beauty, really consider investing in one. For whatever reason they hold the weight just right. I've only ventured out 5 miles or so with it and let me tell you, it's heavy!! With my water the weight is about 48 lbs. it's gonna be a hell month for me as I am doing back to back to back races each weekend during that time. A tough Mudder, a spartan (the 11 mile one) and then the goruck! I wish you luck, sign up, it's a hell of a motivation to train!

Cool thanks. I'm looking for someone to do it with. I'm chicken by myself.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I NEED to do one of these. I don't have a team though :(
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I NEED to do one of these. I don't have a team though :(

You don't need a team.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    But it's one of those things that sort of sucks to do alone, no? And most of the challenges/obstacles are team-based? I've done Spartan alone, since we were all going at our own pace, but there wasn't anything I couldn't do by myself. I thought the GoRuck was mostly things that you need other people to do.

I do know a group that are doing it, but they're former Army Rangers and Navy Seals, and I just can't compete with them.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's all done as a team of 30 so you all work together. It would be nice to go with a buddy, but its not a traditional event with a start and finish line. The cadre or leader basically just punishes the 30 of you until he feels we've all had enough!!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Ah. I feel I'd be the slow one, earning a blanket party! If I could do with a group of my friends who are at about my fitness level, I'd feel a lot better. Maybe next year, after Spartan Beast, Tough Mudder, and a marathon are all under my belt.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Planning to do the goruck challenge in DC July 4. I think it will be awesome :-)
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Reviving this post. I've done a GORUCK Challenge and was wondering if anyone had any questions or if any other members have done one?
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I didn't want to start a new thread since I found this on the search. I just heard about this from a guy here in Dallas where I am going through a 2 week class for work. He starts one of these tonight. He has done 3 of the "light" events. Sounds great, but I am know where ready for it myself. Anyone out there ever run one?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone works together- go alone- go with friends- you all work as a team.

I am on the fence about it- I played toy solider in college- I don't need to bust my *kitten* now as an adult while former green berets are making fun of me for signing up to do this stuff.

I think it's great for people to do them- and I have seen people really get into them- like Tough Mudders- but to me it's a fad.