Whey and Pre-Workout

Options
melverous
melverous Posts: 30 Member
I was looking into taking whey but, I don't really know what it is and what it does - I've found what it is about on Google but, seems rather complicated to me.

Someone recommended this product:
http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?_requestid=3851290

Most of the time, I either do cardio dance and walking everyday as a workout routine. I don't do weights. I'm looking into more defining my muscles rather than bulking up.

Also, I tend to get really lazy before a walk or dance. I was also looking into Pre-Workout Supplements to somehow give me a boost in energy before and during my workout without crashing hard after.

Another person suggested this to me:
http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/drivensports/craze.html?_requestid=4401308

I just need some input and a bit of insight into these kinds of products. Your help is greatly appreciated. Any ideas? thoughts? That would be wonderful! Thank you very much! :)

Have a fantastic day!

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Whey is protein and it is a supplement that helps you reach your protein intake. If you can reach your protein intake without protein shakes it is more better.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whey powder is just a method for getting more protein into your diet. This is important if you're trying to build muscle or retain muscle while losing weight. Some people go a bit overboard with the whole thing though.

If you're trying to build muscle: http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html

If you're trying to retain muscle while losing weight: http://examine.com/faq/how-does-protein-affect-weight-loss.html
  • lannasster
    lannasster Posts: 49
    Options
    First of all, I would suggest adding weights to your workout routine. You will not bulk up unless you are eating massive amounts of food (eat big to get big) and lifting heavy weight with low reps.

Whey protein supports muscle development. Whey is an easy to absorb protein, and it's convenient to just stick a scoop inside a shaker and then mix it up when you're done with your workout. Gold Standard is an excellent whey protein. If you are looking to tone up, it is important to increase your protein intake...whether you get that protein from protein shakes or chicken, it doesn't matter.

As for a pre-workout, you say your issue is that you're too lazy, and because of that I would recommend coffee. It will save you lots of money in the long run. Personally, I use MusclePharm's Assault PWO and I think it's amazing, but I'm also in the gym 6 days a week doing an hour of lifting and 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. When I was just doing moderate intensity cardio, coffee worked fine for me.
  • briley76
    briley76 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This^^^ Excellent post. I also use MP Assault. Best PWO I've used, and I've tried several.
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How will you define the muscles in your arms by dancing and walking?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How will you define the muscles in your arms by dancing and walking?

My thoughts exactly lol
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What exactly does Pre-work out do???

I'm sort of in the same boat as the poster ... I use walking or elliptical as my means of working out since I enjoy it ... I am more into making the scale move down rather than the toning and sculpting that came with lifting weights. As a side note, I used to lift heavy (for me, anyway lol) about 3 or 4 times a week, for about an 45 minutes and then some moderate cardio. I was at the gym for about an hour and half .... I definitely saw a difference in the way my clothes fit and general toning, but I wasn't dropping weight, per se. Now I am concentrating more on cardio and trying to drop in weight ; I will definitely add lifting in again once I get some weight down, but for now, I want to focus on cardio.

So do you guys think I would need a pre-work out for a walk/jog session or use it mostly for just when I know im going hard (like lifting plus cardio) .. Thanks for your input!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    from the workouts u described you dont really need any supplements. maybe vitamins.
  • rkpoulson
    rkpoulson Posts: 1
    Options
    Another great source of Whey protein is from Nutrie. I love the convenience of it cuz it comes in grab and go cans rather than powder that you have to mix. So it's easy to just drop in your gym bag and go. It's also all natural, only 2 grams of sugar and 30 grams of protein. Tastes great too!
  • briley76
    Options
    A pre workout is a drink that gets you extremely energized. It won't give you any more strength, but it will give you energy and stamina to last in your workout, which will improve performance. I only use it before lifting or doing HIIT Training. It's not necessary before running. I usually just down a cup of black coffee about 15 minutes before a run, and that suffices.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh, ok. Thank you!

Do you know whats in it? Is it caffeine?
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would suggest adding weights to your workout routine. You will not bulk up unless you are eating massive amounts of food (eat big to get big) and lifting heavy weight with low reps.

Whey protein supports muscle development. Whey is an easy to absorb protein, and it's convenient to just stick a scoop inside a shaker and then mix it up when you're done with your workout. Gold Standard is an excellent whey protein. If you are looking to tone up, it is important to increase your protein intake...whether you get that protein from protein shakes or chicken, it doesn't matter.

As for a pre-workout, you say your issue is that you're too lazy, and because of that I would recommend coffee. It will save you lots of money in the long run. Personally, I use MusclePharm's Assault PWO and I think it's amazing, but I'm also in the gym 6 days a week doing an hour of lifting and 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. When I was just doing moderate intensity cardio, coffee worked fine for me.

Good Post.^ ^ ^

I would also add some strength training into your weekly routine. Building muscle will help your body burn fat.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Good Post.^ ^ ^

I would also add some strength training into your weekly routine. Building muscle will help your body burn fat.
  • briley76
    Options
    Oh, ok. Thank you!

Do you know whats in it? Is it caffeine?

Usually. There's a lot of amino acids as well. It's been said that if you are a heavy caffeine user, a PWO may have little to no effect for you.