1200 Calories with exercise no change in weigh

Options
Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!

Replies

• mochicakes92
    mochicakes92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Going from 2000 to 1200? You are eating too little. Like a lot too little. I'd say up that to 1400-1500 and see where that gets you.
  • candi4133
    candi4133 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue not so much eating the 2000 calories before, prob around 1500-1800 now down to 1200 for the past month...no changes. It's so frustrating!
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat girl! 1200 every day WITH exercise, and I haven't lost a pound! I think I have decided I'm going to up my calories to 1500, and see how that works. That's what everyone else seems to keep suggesting. It's scary, and I feel like it won't work, but we shall see...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to fuel your body. With 20 lbs to lose, you can't aim for 2 lbs per week.. at that point, you will be lucky with 1 lb per week. Also, if MFP is estimating your exercise calories then eat 50% of them. Or better yet, do the TDEE option. Based on your stats and workout plan, set your calories to 1700 (macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and eat that every day. Try to get within +/- 100 calories. Also, get a food scale to log food accurately. With exercise, make sure you do some weight training as well. In fact, I would suggest 3 days of full body workouts to start and then 1-2 days of cardio (preferably HIIT). After a month, you can reevaluate your position.
  • mochicakes92
    mochicakes92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat girl! 1200 every day WITH exercise, and I haven't lost a pound! I think I have decided I'm going to up my calories to 1500, and see how that works. That's what everyone else seems to keep suggesting. It's scary, and I feel like it won't work, but we shall see...
    Same to you, your body is in starvation mode. 1200 WITH exercise is WAY too low, considering you are burning at least 100+ calories with your exercises. That is not healthy and your body is hoarding onto its own fat. I have been there before, and at first I found it very very scary and hard to eat more, but once I moved my calorie goals up to around 1500 I lost weight fast.
    You are depriving your body far too much, please don't continue to do that. It's only bad for you and your goals in the long run.
  • aimeemanninghunter
    aimeemanninghunter Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I have heard from others who have seen doctors....1200 is meant for someone with ZERO activity level. It is not meant for those who are exercising....If you are eating 1200 and working out an hour 4 days a week you're body is getting well under 1200 calories so it will start holding on to fat.
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    when you eat too little (which 1200 calories is) you actually slow down your metabolism, thats probably why you arent losing weight. When I started myfitnesspal i was eating 1400 calories a day and doing TONS of cardio and didn't lose weight for months. I bumped up my calories to about 1700, stopped doing so much cardio, started doing more weights, and now the weight is melting off. Id suggest upping your calories for sure, maybe start with 1500 -1600.
  • as70whitehead
    as70whitehead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    glad you asked because the same is going on with me
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Eat more and move more, seems to be the usual cure for a plateau!
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    The exact same thing has been happening with me, but I have been reading some of the links in the posts at the top of the list of threads for this "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" category, and I'm about to change my whole approach. The main idea, from what I'm gathering, is that MFP has already factored in a calorie reduction, so you have to eat all of your allotted calories. Otherwise, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the weight. On the days that you exercise, and MFP adds calories to your allotment for the day, you are supposed to eat those calories. It is scary, but as of today, I'm going to try it. I would highly recommend that you read those posts. Many of them are well written and easy to understand.
  • mmabdull99
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, yeah I think I have consistently been under eating but I have recently been trying to eat more and eat back exercise calories. I have lost 2 inches off my weight and finally I'm seeing the scale drop. So far its dropped 3 lbs which is better than nothing, but overall I've received many compliments on looking more fit and toned. So after all that hard work wasnt a waste, just need to keep going and not give up. If anyone has more suggestions let me know!!
    Wish all of you the best of luck on this journey!
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, yeah I think I have consistently been under eating but I have recently been trying to eat more and eat back exercise calories. I have lost 2 inches off my weight and finally I'm seeing the scale drop. So far its dropped 3 lbs which is better than nothing, but overall I've received many compliments on looking more fit and toned. So after all that hard work wasnt a waste, just need to keep going and not give up. If anyone has more suggestions let me know!!

If you have accomplished this in a month... you should be happy! It takes alot of work and time to lose 20 pounds :) Keep going you're doing good!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your profile to lose half a pound a week.
  • Kvose70
    Kvose70 Posts: 19
    Options
    I had the same problem at first.. You have to up your calories if you are doing alot of cardio... I know that sounds backwards but just upping it a little will help.. I never fully eat back all of my calories.. but I do stay around 1400-1500 a day.. I stick with 1200 on my non workout days, and I cut back my workout days to 5 days a week instead of 6. That has helped dramatically, by letting my body rest. Also track your food.. after stalling for weeks.. I went back and started evaluating what I was eating.. I cut out yogurt and walnuts and granola..Only those 3 things.. and it started coming off again.. Not every body is the same, so just evaluate and try cutting out different things, or substituting others, and see if that helps.. But listen to everybody if you are doing alot of cardio up your calories.. and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, weighing in the mornings before breakfast, and getting plenty of rest.. xoxoxo good luck.. You can do it...Dont give up... The scale with eventually show your progress...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Reset to 1600 calories and eat back your exercise cals.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

3 lbs in a month for someone at your starting weight is actually very good. If you are impatient and want it to go faster you're probably going to get very frustrated. As someone else mentioned, you are going to be lucky to see a consistent .5-1 lb per week loss. The closer you already are to a healthy weight, the slower it comes off. In fact, don't be surprised if you have weeks with no loss, even if you are doing everything right. I'm not saying that to discourage you, just to warn you that patience is the key here.
  • actingnurse1
    actingnurse1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I average 12-1300 a day. Losing slowly too.
  • Sesaza
    Sesaza Posts: 49
    Options
    1200 calories is nothing. Up your calories, and you still shouldnt be gaining any weight. Then after some time drop it again and you will weight loss.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!

Try eating back some of the calories you burn during excercise, it probably comes down to eating to few calories, mfp is already set at a deficit so when you excercise, that deficit gets even bigger..hard to keep your metabolism reved up when your in starvation mode...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body. With 20 lbs to lose, you can't aim for 2 lbs per week.. at that point, you will be lucky with 1 lb per week. Also, if MFP is estimating your exercise calories then eat 50% of them. Or better yet, do the TDEE option. Based on your stats and workout plan, set your calories to 1700 (macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and eat that every day. Try to get within +/- 100 calories. Also, get a food scale to log food accurately. With exercise, make sure you do some weight training as well. In fact, I would suggest 3 days of full body workouts to start and then 1-2 days of cardio (preferably HIIT). After a month, you can reevaluate your position.

ALL OF THIS!!! With the amounts of weight you ahve to lose, your goal should be 1/2 to 1 pound per week, definitely not two. Eat to fuel those exercises and so that your body knows it's ok to let go of the excess fat. Depriving yourself of necessary calories and nutrients is such an out-dated approach to weight loss. Aim to be healthy, not just skinny.