This may be the dumbest question ever, but...

melissaka7
melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
Are the crystal light packets okay for you?
I gave up soda in May & I drink water & Sparkling Ice. At least once or twice a day I add a packet of crystal light lemonade or peach tea to my water to give me some flavor.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Yes
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Yes! I prefer those over soda, now.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    No, they cause cancer.

Not srs.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    No! Don't watch the news everything, is bad for you! Bur seriously, I think they are fine. I actually use mio in my water sometimes. Though I still drink soda too. So maybe you don't want my advice.
  • I think it comes down to how you feel about artificial sweeteners. There's plenty of options out there.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    I don't have them anymore. They have a bunch of stuff in them .. http://www.livestrong.com/article/413874-what-are-the-ingredients-of-crystal-light/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    As long as you're getting proper nutrition, getting a little flavour is absolutely fine, as long as you eat as a whole less then your TDEE, you'll lose weight. The sugar on MFP is set to really low. I can go over it by adding a few fruits. With that said, don't eat all sugar all day, because that would eventually make you sick. Anyone try the mio? Half curious if it's worth the try but kinda rather plain water.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    They are certainly better than soda. Try to avoid the ones with aspartame though. An alternative for you that I moved to after the packets and drops is squeezing fruit juice in water, and if you use sour fruit like lime or lemon you can put stevia in it to sweeten it. Stevia is an all natural plant with super sweetness and no calories. If you have the means to do so, buy plants and grow your own at home.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    I drink Mio now. I used to be a big fan of Crystal Light but they gave me terrible headaches every now and then.
  • melissaka7
    As long as you're getting proper nutrition, getting a little flavour is absolutely fine, as long as you eat as a whole less then your TDEE, you'll lose weight. The sugar on MFP is set to really low. I can go over it by adding a few fruits. With that said, don't eat all sugar all day, because that would eventually make you sick. Anyone try the mio? Half curious if it's worth the try but kinda rather plain water.

I do also like MIO.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Yes

"Yes" to it's ok to use the packets...or "Yes" to this may be the dumbest question ever?
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Yes

"Yes" to it's ok to use the packets...or "Yes" to this may be the dumbest question ever?

Yes
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member

Tried Mio, and I personally only liked the green one. I love the real green tea packets in water, and I love lemon or lime with stevia. My absolute favorite for flavor though is the Dasani pineapple and coconut, so yummy, like getting a pina colada snow cone.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    I love MIO. I am drinking between 8 and 9 bottles of water a day... plain water gets boring after 5 or so.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    No, they cause cancer.

Not srs.

yup, everything causes cancer these days.
    Seriously though, they won't hurt you any more than diet pop or diet juices would. As always, moderation is the key. If you can handle the relatively less sweet, how about trying herbal teas? Double the leaves to water ratio if you want to add ice. I then add agave syrup or honey if I am craving juice. Om nom.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    You will find people who will say only clear water should be counted as water, for the purpose of calculating how much water you drink daily (this is how I calculate it myself). However, I really think your body craves the hydration and isn't really going to be less hydrated because you added Crystal Light. It's a personal decision.

Now, I operate under the theory (for myself) that we crave what we eat. So when we consume sweet things, we tend to crave more sweet things. And my body doesn't know the difference between real sweetner and artifical sweetner, so sweet is sweet. That's why I avoided Crystal Light type additives in water initially. But I couldn't give up my diet pepsi, which I suspect is way worse! LOL

I say if it's the only way you can get all your water needs met, drink the Crystal Light.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I don't have them anymore. They have a bunch of stuff in them .. http://www.livestrong.com/article/413874-what-are-the-ingredients-of-crystal-light/
    pay no heed, you could say the same thing about all the 'negative' stuff about whole foods. Fruits have acid in them, oh knows, etc. Things in general are toxic in high doses, not just that drink. Just make sure your not getting copious amounts of one thing in your diet.
  • melissaka7

I say if it's the only way you can get all your water needs met, drink the Crystal Light.

I drink regular water all day long too, just sometimes I like flavor with meals.
  • It seems like you dont like the boring taste of plain water, I'm right there with you. I bought a water pitcher with an infuser so I fill it with filtered water and I cut uo my left over fruit and citruses. i.e. lime, lemon, blueberries, strawberries. I let it sit over night and I fill a large bottle the following day and have tasty fruity water all day to keep me hydrated. The fruit sweetents the water withought adding chemicals or artifical sweetnes to your drinks.
    Anything that has a list of rando-hard to pronounce chemicals on the label is usually something you'll want to stay away from.

Congrats on quitting soda! You got this!

Adrianna
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    I would say they are fine as long as you that's not all you are drinking. They have lots of chemicals that aren't the best for your body.
    Have you tried infusing your water with fruit? It is really yummy and a lot better for you.