Low Impact Help Needed

Options
Good afternoon!

I have recently been on hiatus from the gym due to work, and then tweaking my knee. I'm ready to go back now, and my doctor has limited me to low impact knee exercises. So no more Kickboxing Bootcamp, deadlifts, or squats into overhead presses. Elliptical and Stairclimber are also out.

My doctor told me that low weight/high reps leg extensions were fine, and also leg presses were okay, as long as my knees stay no less than at a 90 degree angle.

I plan to talk to my trainer at the gym next week about it, but I was looking for advice here first, just to see what this groups thoughts are.

Current, on strength days, I had been doing deadlifts with a 20lb kettlebell 3 sets of 10 reps, and squats into overhead presses with a 12lb medicine ball, 3 sets of 10 reps.

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What exactly is wrong with your knee?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You'll get more benefit from doing swings for more reps with the kettlebell. Add in snatches, high pulls, long cycle clean and press and you can get a pretty cool workout. Get a lot of bang for your buck.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For cardio, there's always swimming!
  • AngryManx
    AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondromalacia-patella/DS00777 ), and I have now had a steroid shot in each joint to try and get the inflammation down. They want me to take it easy for a bit, and start back with low-impact exercises and eventually try and move back into high impact.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rowing, cycling and swimming come to mind!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondromalacia-patella/DS00777 ), and I have now had a steroid shot in each joint to try and get the inflammation down. They want me to take it easy for a bit, and start back with low-impact exercises and eventually try and move back into high impact.

It's too bad about the steroid shot, frankly. Those hose your connective tissues. There's a reason why doctors don't give you more than something like three per lifetime.

Your patella injury was one of those inflammatory overuse things that arises from poor movement mechanics. Possibly you weren't squatting deep enough, or your knees were buckling in when you did. I would reassess your motor habits, possibly with a competent trainer.