sugars in fruit

Options
I am constantly going over my allowed amount in sugars, but I know where my sugars are coming from and that is my fruits that I eat. I try to eat the ones that are less in sugars. I stopped eating grapes because of that very reason. Fruits are stressed in our pyramid to eat, so why do i feel like im being punished for eating them. I dont eat sweets at all. Does anyone think I shouldnt be concerned from where the sugars are coming from as long as its natural sugars?

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am not concerned at all with the sugars in fruit. I eat as much as I want as long it is in my calorie allotment.
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here very long, but the general consensus that I have seen is, no you shouldn't be concerned. Keeping track of your Added Sugar is much more important. Like fat, some types of sugars aren't as bad as others.

I go over all the time, but its always from fruit, so I don't worry about it.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing. i put an apple back because it had too much natural sugar. although added sugar is supposed to be what's bad, i still need to watch sugar in fruit.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    my nutritionist told me not to eat grapes, bananas,mangos because they are very high in sugar also corn
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If you're diabetic, then you'll need to be careful about the sugar you consume (even natural sugars), and you'll want to learn about the Glycemic index. If that's not an issue, though, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you aren't eating way too much fruit. I eat my 2-3 servings of fruit per day and don't even track sugar on here anymore, since it doesn't differentiate between types of sugar.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    pretty much you need to just stay away from the ridiculously sugary ones like bananas and you'll be fine (though the occaisional banana or grape wont kill you, after all they have things that are good for you in them as well)

you know...if seeing the sugar go over into red bothers you that much....stop watching sugar. you can PERSONALLY watch your added sugars but if its pretty much always the natural stuff and you arent going over your calories i say you dont have a need to watch sugar. :/
  • Pendragn
    Options
    Bananas are high on the glycemic index, but they're also high in potassium, which can help you recover after a workout. I leave room in my daily calorie allotment for a banana a day. As with most people here, I'm eating clean (no sweets, white rice, white flour, etc.), so the only sugars I'm getting are natural ones in my fruits and veggies.
  • AlexTCasas
    Options
    You should not worry about that. The bad sugar is the one that comes from processed foods. The sugars from fruits, fructose, are OK. This is something that MFP could improve, distinguishing between the good sugars and bad sugars. My recommendation is that provide you stay away from sugars in processed foods, bottled juices, etc.. you are OK.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    pretty much you need to just stay away from the ridiculously sugary ones like bananas and you'll be fine (though the occaisional banana or grape wont kill you, after all they have things that are good for you in them as well)

you know...if seeing the sugar go over into red bothers you that much....stop watching sugar. you can PERSONALLY watch your added sugars but if its pretty much always the natural stuff and you arent going over your calories i say you dont have a need to watch sugar. :/

I don't agree with staying away from bananas/grapes/ "sugary" fruits, unless you have a medical reason (aka diabetes) to do so. These fruits provides lots of other nutrients, and bananas actually have a pretty low Glycemic index. Granted, you don't want to be eating a bunch of bananas a day - I limit myself to 2 or 3 servings of fruit, and I try to vary the type of fruit I eat. But nature provides us with lots of nutrition in these wonderful packages, and I don't think any type of fruit should be considered something we have to be wary of.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Bananas are high on the glycemic index, but they're also high in potassium, which can help you recover after a workout.

FYI - Bananas, with an average GI of 52, are actually considered to be low on the Glycemic index.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    Bananas are high on the glycemic index, but they're also high in potassium, which can help you recover after a workout.

FYI - Bananas, with an average GI of 52, are actually considered to be low on the Glycemic index.

well im going by what a professinal says and sugar is sugar to ur body and bananas ,grapes and corn is a no no !!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

well im going by what a professinal says and sugar is sugar to ur body and bananas ,grapes and corn is a no no !!

You may have special medical needs that require that - but the general population shouldn't worry about staying away from these fruits/veggies. Also, keep in mind that most general practitioners are NOT particularly well versed in nutrition. I wouldn't ask my general doctor for nutrition advice - I would go to a licensed/certified (depends on the state) nutritionist.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options

You may have special medical needs that require that - but the general population shouldn't worry about staying away from these fruits/veggies. Also, keep in mind that most general practitioners are NOT particularly well versed in nutrition. I wouldn't ask my general doctor for nutrition advice - I would go to a licensed/certified (depends on the state) nutritionist.

it was a nutritionist not a general practitioner and no i dont have a medical need this is for anybody on a diet maybe u should go to one and get some knowledge before u give advice !! no disrespect
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    it was a nutritionist not a general practitioner and no i dont have a medical need this is for anybody on a diet maybe u should go to one and get some knowledge before u give advice !! no disrespect

That's great that you went to a nutritionist. The only reason I mentioned this is that there are lots of people who don't and who get questionable advice from their general practitioners. If a diet without banans/corn/grapes/whatever works for you, then that's great... but you could ask 5 different nutritionists for advice and get 5 different ideas/opinions. I personally think that these can be part of a well-balanced diet. Bananas are great post-workout foods. I agree you shouldn't be going overboard with them, but there's plenty of benefits to eating these. I'm doing great and my diet includes all of these. No problems with my blood sugar. To each his own...
  • angiegee
    angiegee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the advice.....sorry that a few of you got a little heated with eachother on proving eachothers points. Like one has said...to each his own and you have to do what you feel comfortable with. I like bananas but i do just eat them occasionally. And I am going to continue eating my fruit and not worry about what the over all sugars are allowed. I am losing weight and looking great so that is all that matters...I must be doing something right> Thanks all